• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger dipping sauce

Ben Hong

A friend of mine has asked me for a recipe to recreate this sauce that he's had in a couple of Chinese restaurants (Indiana &midwest). I have searched but not coming up with anything reasonable. He calls it "ginger sauce", used as a dip. Any suggestions, ideas, experiences?? Maybe it's the nomenclature or translation.

Is this one just a variation on the spring onion dipping sauce served with poached chicken (bak chik gai)? If so, it's just grated ginger with salt and oil - it's not cooked. It's served at Chiu Chow and Hakka restaurants (with the salt baked chicken) and as one of the three dipping sauces with Hainan chicken rice.

Edited by aprilmei (log)

A friend of mine has asked me for a recipe to recreate this  sauce that he's had in a couple of Chinese restaurants (Indiana &midwest). I have searched but not coming up with anything reasonable. He calls it "ginger sauce", used as a dip. Any suggestions, ideas, experiences?? Maybe it's the nomenclature or translation.

Ben:

I am sure that this condiment is the sauce "Ah Leung" described with photos in his recipe of "Secret Salt Baked Chicken" in his series.

It's main ingredient was, "Sa Geung" or "Sha Ginger" also called "Sand Ginger Powder" combined with chopped Spring Onions, Fresh Ginger and hot oil, allowed to cool and served as a dipping sauce.

I regularly use this at home as it's adaptable to many dishes to give a little zing or enhancement both American and Asian it works for me with both.

If you look it up on that thread I hope it's what your looking for as I have had it served in Canada and at many locations in the States when requested. His photo's capture it perfectly and the instructions are concise.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Thanks for all the quick replies. After further questioning, my friend mentions that it is generally served with dumplings and potstickers. [...]

Wooooo! The sauce generally served with dumplings and potstickers is finely shredded ginger with Chinese red vinegar added.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"