• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sagnarelli

Jason Perlow

Recently, I picked up a bag of this:

gallery_2_4_6283.jpg

Optimally, what would you sauce this with?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yeah, a hearty ragu should work fine, but my first impulse was to treat them like pizzocheri, sort of like this recipe. I said that because of the shape, they look flat, short and wide even though they do not seem to be made from buckwheat. And Jason, if you do that you can post about them in the Lombardy thread :raz: .

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

That is really nice looking pasta, love the texture I can see.

I haven't seen this type of pasta before, but from what I can see they look quite thin and delicate in cross-section, so I would be less inclined to use a rich meat based sauce on them. Some types of mafalde are cut into similar shapes, but these are a much thicker pasta, so I don't think they are interchangeable.

Maybe, something cream based as suggested, but their shape reminds me of some very delicate pasta squares I have had in Liguria, served with pesto sauce. No the most exciting suggestion I know, but it was a really nice dish.

Recently, I picked up a bag of this:

gallery_2_4_6283.jpg

Optimally, what would you sauce this with?

Hi there - you bought a very good quality pasta which has been made according to traditional methods that implies the use of a 'trafila ruvida', i.e., a food extruder which gives pasta an unven consistency. It means that whatever sauce you'll be serving it with, it will 'stick' well on each sagnarello and season it properly.

Another idea ... a bit 'provocative' :raz: could be to serve it with a pesto made with rocket leaves (rucola - arugula), almonds, garlic, pecorino cheese and extra virgin olive oil. But only if you can find the most tender and tasty rocket leaves. :wink:

They sell that stuff in waitrose in the uk - I was looking at a bag last week, didn't know what to do with it so just bought orrichiette!

I'll get some next time I go and try out some of these suggestions.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

In the past few weeks, I've been seeing recipes and articles for Ravioli Nudi (naked ravioli, or just the filling). The shape of that pasta reminds me of ravioli, so making a Nudi may give it a nice deconstructed look to the dish.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany