• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC tap water after the snow

Pan

Yesterday, after it had snowed for a while, I turned on the tap water and found that the water ran unusually cold. It also tasted much more pure than usual, less chlorine taste. It was like really good cold mountain spring mineral water, I thought. Anyone else notice that, or did it taste normal to everyone else?

Oddly enough, I notice less difference tonight than I did last night. That doesn't seem to make sense.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

I find that if its cold enough, NYC tap water tastes as good as or better than the bottled stuff. Colder water will always taste "better", since cold taste buds are less receptive, and what you really want to taste in water is...nothing.

Jeffery Stiengarten would disagree with the statement that water that tastes like nothing tastes best. You should check out his essay Water in "The Man Who Ate Everything". Bet he would feel ill reading that first sentence.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Jeffery Stiengarten would disagree with the statement that water that tastes like nothing tastes best.  You should check out his essay Water in "The Man Who Ate Everything".  Bet he would feel ill reading that first sentence.

You want to sum up the essay for me, since I won't actually be buying the book?

Like I said, the colder water is the better I like it. If it's cold enough, I won't even be able to detect wether its distilled or not (unless its Evian, which tastes horrible to me at any tempurature). I'd say my favorite is NYC tap, but I may be predisposed from a lifetime of familiarity.

Funny, on Gothamist there is a discussion about how the water has been tasting MORE "chlorine-y" after the snow. I haven't tasted any... we have Poland Spring in the office and I Brita at home. Maybe if I'm feeling experimental... blind tasting with the gf tonight.