• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goat in NJ

BeerGut

Friends went to Jamaica and came back raving about Curried Goat and it's partner dish, Goat's Head Soup (when well made it's referred to as "Mannish water" because it gives men virility - sure). Where in NJ can I taste this? A Jamaican co-worker (who doesn't cook) went to a family party where they served goat. I asked if he could bring in left-overs sometime so I could try it. He laughed and said, "There's never leftover goat!" I've found recipes but want to taste it done right. Help!

Actually the owner of Bhoj in Saddle Brook area, makes great dishes... some are goat too I believe, if you were to ask him he'd surely make curried goat for you. (not jamaican though) also I work with a guy who is a great cook so I hear (he lives about 1 block away from picnic too!) he could probably whip you up a batch too if you wanted me to ask him!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I just found out about a great little place near my office in Woodbridge - Bev's Melting Pot - just around the corner from one of my other favorite lunch spots, Mie Thai. I went there at the end of last week, and picked up Curried Goat with Rice and Peas (+ plantains) for lunch, washed down with a cup of Sorrel. It was delicious! They also do Oxtail, Stew Chicken, Jerk Chicken, etc., and a whole bunch of Creole dishes as well. I plan to try some of these out in the coming weeks - will tell you how it is...

I think they may be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays - you might want to give them a call before you visit.

Bev's Melting Pot

405 Pearl St

Woodbridge

(732) 596-1800.

Aside from that, there are plenty of places up in North New Jersey that serve great curry goat. There's a Trinidadian place on Main St in Orange that does great Curried Goat Roti, and there's a few places in East Orange that also serve great Caribbean food - my wife works at the hospital, and seems spoilt for choice when it comes to lunch options!

Jason