• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avalon closing March 18

gps-shag

I just read in Toronto Life that Avalon is going to close down in March.

That's really a shame - I thought it was a fantastic restaurant.

Does anyone know what Chris McDonald is going to be doing after this?

Will he be opening another restaurant in Toronto?

What will be happening to the old space?

Joanne Kates in this morning's Globe has this comment:

RIP: Avalon will close March 18. After 11 years of serving pristine cuisine, chef/owner Chris McDonald was not getting the business he needed to keep going. He'll be opening another restaurant in another location (as yet undecided). Word to the wise: Go bistro.

Joanne Kates in this morning's Globe has this comment:

RIP: Avalon will close March 18. After 11 years of serving pristine cuisine, chef/owner Chris McDonald was not getting the business he needed to keep going. He'll be opening another restaurant in another location (as yet undecided). Word to the wise: Go bistro.

For those interested, there is also an article in the Toronto section of the Globe discussing the closing of Avalon. The general impression I got was one of a disgruntled, over the hill prima donna who blammed the audience for no longer appreciating his work rather than accepting the fact that maybe the fault is in the performance. Jabs were made at Susur Lee for opening eponymous restaurants (Susur AND Lee! Twice the egotism!) and for having a light wall at Susur; Thuet was attacked for cultivating a bad boy status; and legions of chefs across the city were slammed for - gasp - having open kitchens. Jamie Kennedy was also singled out for resting on a "reputation that is all about something that happened in his career 20 years ago."

Susur is singled out again later in the article:

"The difference between this [Avalon] and Susur's in a way is Susur's is named after him, but I don't think it's a reflection of something that he feels is the way dining's supposed to be. It's more a reflection of what he thinks is a good business."

Say what you will about the cuisine, service, decor, but I would argue fairly vigorously against the claim that Susur is lacking in vision, and is simply pumping out plates to appease the masses.

There is nothing worse than eating somewhere where the chef's heart isn't into it, and Avalon certainly must have been such a place of late:

"I'm sick and tired of plating food with tweezers,"

and

"I won't be doing this again."

Yikes.

Simon

Edited by sgfrank (log)

Avalon was an incredible restaurant that lost a lot of key staff and never recovered. Part of that shot at Mr.Kennedy probably has to do with a fine young cook now working at the wine bar and not for Chris.

www.azurerestaurant.ca

• 3 weeks later...

I 've heard from a couple of sources that Chris McDonald will be reopening his former 'home' at Delisle Court (once also called Delisle) on Yonge just north of St Clair. he will be executive chef rather than being there 80 hours a week and indeed it will be back to a Bistro style.

What odds that Didier will survive this competition?

^I've heard similar rumours. That would be good, in my area. I used to eat at Avalon with a now deceased friend who introduced me to Chris' style of cooking. I loved it. I'll definitely want to try his new place. As for Didier....anyone been lately, I haven't even heard any discussion of it for some time.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I was in earlier tonight; hadn't been before, and I wanted to go before they were gone. Anyway, I asked and they confirmed that Chef McDonald will be doing a small plates / tapas-y thing, something where you can drop in for a casual bite or a glass of wine (their words, not mine). They expect to open at the end of April at the aforementioned Yonge and St. Clair location. Apparently this information is public now but hasn't been officially announced is all.

incidentally the location reminded me of the other thread going on about the "hovering" restaurant so I asked about that, she didn't have any idea what I was talking about...