• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rum shops in Barbados

ctgm

Definitely check out the grocery stores. Prices are usually competitive and the selections are pretty good. Bajans like good rum and there are a number of things you'll find that aren't exported 1639 is one.

Also look for Old Brigand, Doorly's 5 year old and Mount Gay sugar cane brandy, it's sold as sugar cane rum in other markets. This one isn't their best, but it's good rum on the rocks.

You'll also find flying fish to whet your appetite for some see-through, EASF white rum with sea moss.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...
Definitely check out the grocery stores. Prices are usually competitive and the selections are pretty good. Bajans like good rum and there are a number of things you'll find that aren't exported 1639 is one.

Also look for Old Brigand, Doorly's 5 year old and Mount Gay sugar cane brandy, it's sold as sugar cane rum in other markets. This one isn't their best, but it's good rum on the rocks.

You'll also find flying fish to whet your appetite for some see-through, EASF white rum with sea moss.

EASF?

EASF?

He meant ESAF for ESA Field White Rum from Barbados. Check it out on the Ministry of Rum website.

Thanks,

Kevin

Edited by KOK (log)

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

And if you can, I really enjoyed the Mount Gay distillery tour and tasting room at the end...

In Barbados there is a law that distillers can't distill and bottle their rum at the same location. What you will see at the Moiunt Gay visitor's center is a short film, then a tour of the aging warehouse and the bottling operation. Then back to the bar for a shot of the good stuff.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

In Barbados there is a law that distillers can't distill and bottle their rum at the same location. What you will see at the Moiunt Gay visitor's center is a short film, then a tour of the aging warehouse and the bottling operation. Then back to the bar for a shot of the good stuff.

whatever it is... it's worth it, IMO, and the good stuff is good indeed! :biggrin: