• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zucca

sadistick

The GF took me out for our 6 month anniversary last night to Zucca. Found out they participate in the BYOW ($25) so I booked reservations for us for last night. Let me first off say that from the moment we walked in the door, till when we departed, the service was FANTASTIC!

We started off with a split pea soup with fried pancetta and sauteed spinach, which was unlike any 'soup' I have seen, it was more of a puree, but very tastey regardless.

I had the chantrelle flan with truffle oil, which was the highlight of the meal for me.

Zucaa makes all their pastas in house by hand, so my GF had a the pasta with tomatoe sauce and peccorino cheese, quite nice, the pasta itself was amazing.

I then had the quail, which was served on a porchini 'wheat berry' almost risotto...and a pomogranet glaze...very tastey.

We skipped dessert as I had prepared something special at home :cool:

Then asked for the bill, and was surprised when our lovely waitress brought 2 complimentary Moscat Di Asti's for our anniversary. A really nice touch.

Under $100 even with the $25 BYOW - This meal was more than worth it, and I would highly recommend Zucca to everyone I know!

Cheers.

Apparently my quoting of the comedic genius, Ali G...offended (!?!?) someone...wow, all I can say is its all good and fun to just talk about food, but to have a bit of a side track joke with one of the members in a thread shouldnt be such a big deal.

KevV...what can I say brother...

Apparently my quoting of the comedic genius, Ali G...offended (!?!?) someone...
Yes, I also got a message. Would have been a good joke too if it was me that sent in the complaint. :cool: But alas it was someone else. Probably a Kazakhstani for all we know.

Because of all this, I was also told to remove my 'copyrighted' avatar photo of Borat. How did they know it wasn't me? :sad:

... Actually, hey! Is that photo of the chef's knife you use your own? Did you take it? If not then you are also in violation of avatar policy. ("Oh, Manager Amirault?...")

wow, all I can say is its all good and fun to just talk about food, but to have a bit of a side track joke with one of the members in a thread shouldnt be such a big deal. KevV...what can I say brother...
Well, just nothing more about favourite Kazakhstani pastimes, if you please...

Now let's bring this back to the subject of food or we're both in trouble... So you say this Zucco place is good? :unsure:

Edited by KevV (log)

Glad to hear that Zucca is still going strong - it was one of the top places in my book while I lived in Toronto and I was just telling my husband he should check it out to see if it is still good while he is in TO this week on business.

Glad to know you had a nice Anniversary dinner there and the service has always been very friendly and professional. I had many a long lingering dinner - one of my favorites of theirs is the way they grill fish. Also they have a very nice chocolate ricotta dessert - well they used to!

What is the deal with BYOW ($25) is that what they charge for corkage?

What is the deal with BYOW ($25) is that what they charge for corkage?
Yup, I think that's what he means. But not the best deal, is it?

The BYOW programme has been around in Ontario for a year or two now, I think.

Apparently my quoting of the comedic genius, Ali G...offended (!?!?) someone...
Yes, I also got a message. Would have been a good joke too if it was me that sent in the complaint. :cool: But alas it was someone else. Probably a Kazakhstani for all we know.

Because of all this, I was also told to remove my 'copyrighted' avatar photo of Borat. How did they know it wasn't me? :sad:

... Actually, hey! Is that photo of the chef's knife you use your own? Did you take it? If not then you are also in violation of avatar policy. ("Oh, Manager Amirault?...")

wow, all I can say is its all good and fun to just talk about food, but to have a bit of a side track joke with one of the members in a thread shouldnt be such a big deal. KevV...what can I say brother...
Well, just nothing more about favourite Kazakhstani pastimes, if you please...

Now let's bring this back to the subject of food or we're both in trouble... So you say this Zucco place is good? :unsure:

Hahaha, Kev...good stuff. First, I highly dout that pic of Borat is copyrighted, seeing as how countless websites use many pictures of him and they see no legal actions against the,.

I did not take that picture, and that isnt my knife...but...but.....but...I own the exact same one!!

Oh, and yes, this ZuccO(A) place is quite good, especially for the price!

PS - Parents came back last night raving about a meal they had a Mistura

PS - Parents came back last night raving about a meal they had a Mistura

had a really, really good wild boar agnolotti dish there a few months ago, second course was rabbit, just OK, also sampled their beet risotto, interesting, taste was just "pretty good". Went with a crowd that time though so it's on my list to try again under better circumstances.

for amazing italian food, including wild boar ragu, all hand made pastas etc...go to Romania Mia.

Have you been there a lot, or recently? Friends, whose judgement I normally trust, were there recently and said while the food was good, the service was awful enough to change the tone of the evening.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Been there recently...only been about 4 or so times...never had bad service...and if so, they should of said something to the manager and/or owner...they would of been taken care of.

I'm told they did, and everything worked out in the end. Perhaps it was just an off night for the servers in question.

just hit Romagna Mia last night. Awesome, loved it. Papardelle with rabbit was very good and much lighter than I'd expected...which was good because I tried to stuff down a serving of the walnut risotto after that :P (none of the starters seemed that interesting). Only got about halfway, though it was quite delicious. Because it was served from a Parm-Regg wheel, it was a little too salty, and especially cheesy, for my Chinese metabolism ( ;) ) but that isn't their fault.

service was fine, although strangely enough the single stall in the mens' was locked from the inside but unoccupied...?? Not sure how/why that happened. lol.

it was packed when I arrived (~2115) but emptied out shortly after that. 2 or 3 tables appeared to be full of diners speaking Italian and some ordered dishes family-style (the server was going around the table doling out from a plate). And the chef came out to chat with them in Italian. When I left he was eating with one of said parties :) . I figure the presence of Italians is a good sign (much the way some people gauge Chinese restaurants based on whether any Chinese are actually eating there) :).

sadistick, I owe ya one.

Edited by Endy' (log)

Great report Endy'. I think you and Sadistick have convinced me I'll have to try it in the near future.