• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need your help

bunny

I am currently in the process of looking at several locations to possiably open up my own place. I kinda have a menu written up and was just wondering what everyone here thinks of it. please don't mind the spelling i can't spell

starters

duo of duck:

asian marinated duck with scallions ginger red pepper and calintro layered over pototoe gurfets with a orange glaze.

bbq spiced duck served over a grilled marscapone plenta cake with a sweet corn sauce.

frog legs nantucket:

frog legs sauteed with shallots,garlic and shittake mushrooms served w/ a brandy demi and granished oven roasted plum tom.

grilled calamari:

served w/a wasabi watercress sauce and garnished w/grilled cherry tom.

5 onion soup w/bone marrow

soup du jour

grilled apple and raspberry salad w/walnuts and mixed greens

lobster aspragus salad

salad of artcokes cucumber and tom.

entree

herb crusted black bass:

panseared served over saffron rissito w/grilled yellow squash and zuccini with a roasted veg demi-glace garnished w/3 shrimp

mandarin salmon:

marinated in a trio of oranges then char-grilled over an open flame served over a bed of cucumbers and carrots w/blood orange sauce garnished with micro-greens.

broiled rack of lamb:

cardamon crusted and served w/celric puree and hircot verts

tournedo rossini:

pan seared served over a crouton and foie gras w/sauce mederia and granished w/white truffle shavings.

veal t-bone:

marinated and grilled w/provencal roasted tom.

roasted saddle of rabbit

served w/root veg.

baked blue fish:

with parsley and tom and roasted red bliss pot.

hailbut:

sauteed w/citrus burre blanc garnished w/julienne veg.

tell mw what u guys think of this menu and weakness or anything else you wish to comment about.

you might want to post this on the "General" or "Cooking" boards, as i'm sure there are a lot of folks there who would comment. unless, of course, you're looking for a regionally-based opinion, in which case the general area of possible location would be very helpful.

it all looks good to me. :smile:

Hi Bunny,

Are you opening a restaurant because of your passion, or because you can write a menu? I don't mean to be smarmy with that question, but a restaurant is more than a passion, more than a menu, more than the sum of its parts.

Will your menu fit the location, the ability of your chef, the ease of getting ingredients, ie:seasonality, cost, freshness factors...

I don't know if you've ever owned your own place before, but it may be a good idea for you to see if you can apprecntice first.

I don't like discouraging people from their dream, but sometimes when dreams become realities, the realities become nightmares.

BTW...bluefish may work better as a special....

Good Luck

Cosmo