• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day at WHITE CASTLE!

Jason Perlow

Thanks to this thread, I decided to take my wife to White Castle also. I had a tough time getting a reservation since the hours were 5 to 8 and my wife works until 9 on Tuesday. I was able to talk someone into letting us come late, in part by saying that our first date was at White Castle, and that I had proposed there.

My wife was unaware that I was taking her there. I had only said that we were going somewhere casual. She replied that it was fine as long as I wasn't dragging her to a hot dog joint again. I assured her that I was not.

She was quite surprised, but thought it was funny, as long as I agreed to take her out somewhere nice soon. All in all, we had a blast. We've eaten at White Castle many times before, but would you believe my wife got sick a few hours after we got home? Then she didn't think the whole thing was so funny. I had a few beers while waiting for her to get home before we went, so I can only chalk it up to being her first time eating White Castle burgers without first drinking.

John the hot dog guy

have i mentioned recently my resentment about white castle's closing all their  places around philadelphia?  i mean, DAMN.

We have Krystal here in Atlanta, but, obvious similarities aside (steamed meat and buns, buy them by the sack, etc.), it just doesn't feel the same.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

That was too funny! Jason, sounds like you and Rachel had a lot of fun.

Yeah, Passover is coming up, but I'm not sure if slyders would work with matzah.

Slider Seders? Yeah, why not?! :laugh:

But then you couldn't ask the four questions properly, beginning with "Why is this night different from all of the other nights?"

I can see the Passover menu now...

Sliders with matzoh, gefilte fish nibbles, the seder plate made out of those little boxes, leaving some soda for Elijah (no liquor license at WC). Gives a whole new meaning to “Why is this Night Different from all Other Nights”?

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I can see the Passover menu now...

Sliders with matzoh, gefilte fish nibbles, the seder plate made out of those little boxes, leaving some soda for Elijah (no liquor license at WC).  Gives a whole new meaning to “Why is this Night Different from all Other Nights”?

And it might be even more interesting if what was left for Elijah was this:

Aphrodisiac Soda

Indeed, perhaps a night quite different from all others.

This is truly one for the books!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: 

The Perlows Visit White Castle to consummate their passion and love among the teenagers who are the only acutal witnesses to the event ...

Wait a minute! I didn't see any pictures of anybody consummating their passion and love in the White Castle! (Aren't there other kinds of boards for that?)

I figured I'd better check in on this thread, just so you all know I'm not mad at Jason or anything. We've had some V-day doozies in the past, and frankly they are rarely worth the hassle. This was silly and fun. We both thought they could have upped the kitch with more Valentines decorations and maybe a Valentine themed menu item (besides a sack of burgers). They used to have a Roma Burger (with a slice of roma tomato), or how about a pizza burger, cheese and sauce are easy enough to add. But it was fun and all the women were giggling, most of the men we spoke with did it as a surprise to their ladies, with something else planned for afterward. I kept the sliders to a minimum, so as to better enjoy some greens at C46 afterwards. The fish nibblers are one of their better offerings, very fresh and crisp, with chopped parsley in the coating.

Honestly, I think it was very nice (in the best sense of the word) for White Castle to put together something like this, and in the end it really doesn't matter how "fancy" something is, it matters if you enjoy it. And obviously it was fun and the food was good. Can't beat that, really. :wink:

Wait a minute!  I didn't see any pictures of anybody consummating their passion and love in the White Castle!  (Aren't there other kinds of boards for that?)

Yeah, but they all have those annoying popups ... :huh: poor choice of words for a romantic lover, I guess ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Wait a minute!  I didn't see any pictures of anybody consummating their passion and love in the White Castle!  (Aren't there other kinds of boards for that?)

Yeah, but they all have those annoying popups ... :huh: poor choice of words for a romantic lover, I guess ... :laugh:

Thanks. That was the hardest I've ever laughed at an eGullet post.

. . . and to think, I actually cooked last night. What the heck was I thinking? :wacko::biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

By the way, these were all foreign exchange students, from Germany.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We've eaten at White Castle many times before, but would you believe my wife got sick a few hours after we got home? Then she didn't think the whole thing was so funny. I had a few beers while waiting for her to get home before we went, so I can only chalk it up to being her first time eating White Castle burgers without first drinking.

no, john-

after having a nice lunch with my john and sharing a bottle of champagne i spent from 3-11 am in the bathroom sicker than a dog!! it's that stomach virus that's going around these parts. haven't been to a white castle since library school days in albany...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

...We did get the polaroid pic though, and a little bag of chocolates at the end.

Well Rachel, my Valentine's Day this year can be summarized by, "I got a rock."

That really looked like a lot of fun. Very clever and tongue-planted-firmly-in-cheek by the company. I miss White Castles that aren't from the frozen food section.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

Oh. My.

And I was only kidding about the chocolates! This is fabulous!!!

Rachel and Jason, I now have the irreplaceable vision of sweet nothings by White Castle-light. I'm not sure if I find that incredibly endearing or horrifically frightening. :biggrin:

Bravo to you both for doing something so fun. Tho' I'm wondering what motivated the exchange students to be there...

Jennifer L. Iannolo

Founder, Editor-in-Chief

The Gilded Fork

Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.

Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)