• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking 101

Chris Amirault

Plus, gooey undercooked brownies? Delicious!

Not easy to cut up and serve on a platter to a group, however.

So the brownies don't go to waste, you could always make a "Death by Chocolate" trifle out of them. Layers of crumbled brownies, chocolate pudding/mousse, chocolate (or regular) whipped cream and crushed toffee bits/Heath bars. Repeat. Easy to assemble and people seem to enjoy it.

It's even easier if you channel Sandra Lee/Paula Deen and buy prepared ingredients...but you didn't hear that from me. :laugh:

As for adjusting the oven temp when baking a recipe with added nuts, I agree with the other posters in that I don't think it should make a difference. You can always PM eGullet members Kerry Beal or even Dorie Greenspan to see what they think if they don't happen to peruse this discussion.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Plus, gooey undercooked brownies? Delicious!

Not easy to cut up and serve on a platter to a group, however.

They are if you freeze them for an hour or so before cutting. Beautiful clean cuts.

Anything you bake is done when it's done. By that I mean you need to know what it looks and feels like when it's done rather than rely on the timer. When you think they're done, stick a toothpick in the center of the pan. If it comes up with liquid on it, they aren't done. When they are done depends on what you want. If you want them quite fudgy then the toothpick should look a little gooey. If you want them more firm, then a few moist crumbs sticking to it. I wouldn't bake it further than that.

If after you first check them and they aren't done to your liking, begin checking them every 3 minutes or so until they reach the stage you want.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Update: I made my 2 pans of plain brownies and they were done at 31 minutes. I made 2 pans of brownies with 1/3 pound of pecans per pan. It took 44 minutes to bake using the toothpick test for doneness.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

wait, doesn't anyone see a different problem here, he has brownies in the oven for over a half an hour. Something is seriosuly wrong I think. how deep are your brownies, 4 inches? My brioche takes 25 minutes.

Also, your brownies should be dense enough to put nuts ontop in the beginning, not most of the way through baking. If they are falling then that means the batter is practically cake, once again calling to question why they are in the oven so long and still not baked completely.

I think your temperature is way too low.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea