• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Chicago recommendations

SeAAttle

All set for dinner on Saturday evening at Schwa. Judith, I mentioned your recommendation when making the reservation. They really appreciate your support.

For Sunday evening, I am leaning toward Custom House. It seems fairly close to our hotel (Hilton downtown) - helpful since Monday will be a work day for me. Also, with the focus on meat, I thought CH might be a good contrast to Schwa. Opinions?

All set for dinner on Saturday evening at Schwa.  Judith, I mentioned your recommendation when making the reservation.  They really appreciate your support.

For Sunday evening, I am leaning toward Custom House.  It seems fairly close to our hotel (Hilton downtown) - helpful since Monday will be a work day for me.  Also, with the focus on meat, I thought CH might be a good contrast to Schwa.  Opinions?

Never been to Custom House - but one suggestion on Schwa - DO NOT walk out of that restaurant without trying their Quail Egg Ravioli!! :wink:

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

Our food intinerary is now set with Schwa (Saturday evening), North Pond for Sunday brunch (a special Easter event) and Custom House on Sunday evening. Originally thought we were being hosted on Monday evening, but now that is uncertain. I may not know for certain until late Monday. Any recommendations for a last minute reservation, preferably not too far from the downtown Hilton (reasonable cab ride)? Thanks.

Our food intinerary is now set with Schwa (Saturday evening), North Pond for Sunday brunch (a special Easter event) and Custom House on Sunday evening.  Originally thought we were being hosted on Monday evening, but now that is uncertain.  I may not know for certain until late Monday.  Any recommendations for a last minute reservation, preferably not too far from the downtown Hilton (reasonable cab ride)?  Thanks.

I assume that "downtown Hilton" means the one on S. Michigan. If so, you're walking distance from Gioco.

Your itinerary sounds perfect!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Our food intinerary is now set with Schwa (Saturday evening), North Pond for Sunday brunch (a special Easter event) and Custom House on Sunday evening.  Originally thought we were being hosted on Monday evening, but now that is uncertain.  I may not know for certain until late Monday.  Any recommendations for a last minute reservation, preferably not too far from the downtown Hilton (reasonable cab ride)?  Thanks.

I assume that "downtown Hilton" means the one on S. Michigan. If so, you're walking distance from Gioco.

Yes, that's correct - Chicago Hilton. Thanks for the Gioco recommendation.

Your itinerary sounds perfect!

The remainder of the itinerary includes four days of fasting!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I should report back on our dining experience in Chicago since the group here was so kind in helping with recomendations.

Schwa was everything we expected it to be. I am sorry to say it has been several weeks since we were there and I cannot remember what we had. Unfortunately, one bottle of wine we brought from Seattle was corked, but that did not deter our enjoyment. I noted that the regulars brought their own wine AND wine glasses! The small water glasses for wine were the only negative (obviously not a big deal, just a preference). I have struggled to identify a restaurant in Seattle that is quite as creative as Schwa (although I must admit I could do without the "foam"). We recommended it highly to friends who live in Chicago but have not yet been.

North Pond was delightful - the setting, the decor, the service and the food. Highly recommended.

Custom House was also very good and "suffered" only by comparison to Schwa and North Pond. Our wait person (also the wine steward?) was very knowledgeable (even about Oregon/Washington State wines) and helpful.

We may return in September for a long weekend to try out a few spots we could not include this time. Overall, a very pleasant visit to Chicago, gastronically and otherwise.

Thanks to all who helped us plan our Chicago dining experience.

I thought I should report back on our dining experience in Chicago since the group here was so kind in helping with recomendations.

Schwa was everything we expected it to be.  I am sorry to say it has been several weeks since we were there and I cannot remember what we had.  Unfortunately, one bottle of wine we brought from Seattle was corked, but that did not deter our enjoyment.  I noted that the regulars brought their own wine AND wine glasses!  The small water glasses for wine were the only negative (obviously not a big deal, just a preference).  I have struggled to identify a restaurant in Seattle that is quite as creative as Schwa (although I must admit I could do without the "foam").  We recommended it highly to friends who live in Chicago but have not yet been.

North Pond was delightful - the setting, the decor, the service and the food.  Highly recommended.

Custom House was also very good and "suffered" only by comparison to Schwa and North Pond.  Our wait person (also the wine steward?) was very knowledgeable (even about Oregon/Washington State wines) and helpful. 

We may return in September for a long weekend to try out a few spots we could not include this time.  Overall, a very pleasant visit to Chicago, gastronically and otherwise.

Thanks to all who helped us plan our Chicago dining experience.

SeAAtle.

Great to hear that our fair City of Chicago in the Heartland pleased you(r tummy)!

Just curious - in what way did CH "suffer" in comparison to the other two? It's the only one that I haven't visited - Schwa and North Pond, I found very satisfying.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one... will be in Chicago Thursday night with family (6 total including a toddler) and am looking for someplace interesting, fun, and cares about food, ideally Michigan Ave / River North (we are staying on Michigan a block or two north of the river). Was thinking Frontera, if we can get in; it may be a little pricey for folks. Other options would be Vong, Ben Pao, Vermilion.

Ultimately I'm trying to dissuade my family from dragging me to a Friday's or Giordano's.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Of the four places you mentioned, I'd choose Frontera Grill by a wide margin. A reservation there is a must. You also might want to consider Heaven on Seven on Rush or Brasserie Jo.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Of the four places you mentioned, I'd choose Frontera Grill by a wide margin. A reservation there is a must. You also might want to consider Heaven on Seven on Rush or Brasserie Jo.

Ditto.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Just thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one... will be in Chicago Thursday night with family (6 total including a toddler) and am looking for someplace interesting, fun, and cares about food, ideally Michigan Ave / River North (we are staying on Michigan a block or two north of the river).  Was thinking Frontera, if we can get in; it may be a little pricey for folks.  Other options would be Vong, Ben Pao, Vermilion.

Ultimately I'm trying to dissuade my family from dragging me to a Friday's or Giordano's.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Some may sway you away from my suggestion for Scoozi!

I know it's a Lettuce Entertain You Enterprise. The room is lovely and they are great for families with a toddler. A wide varity of menu choices. I have been there with large and small groups, the food is good. Scoozi is not a quiet, uptight place. One big room with half moon lounge tables and long dining room tables in a 2 gradient level area.

Look them up on leye.com

Of the four places you mentioned, I'd choose Frontera Grill by a wide margin. A reservation there is a must.

Frontera only takes reservations for groups of five or more. While this group qualifies, the no-reservations policy means you may wait even with a reservation. So it depends on how patient your toddler is. My experience with both the restaurant and toddlers says this is not a good choice.

Scoozi is much more suitable for kids. Ben Pao should be fine. Brasserie Jo might be OK. (I've been there with kids age 4-11; they had a hard time choosing suitable things to eat.) I don't think either Vong or Vermilion would be a good choice with a toddler.

I think you might also do very well at Bistro 110, which is an excellent French bistro. Or for something kind of fun and different, there's foodlife, which is a sort of uscale food court serving everything from Asian to Italian -- all very good and freshly prepared.

Bistro 110

312/266-3110

www.bistro110restaurant.com

110 E. Pearson St., Chicago

foodlife

312/335-3663

www.foodlifechicago.com

Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago

LAZ

Hello folks. Hope it's okay to appropriate this thread. maybe it could be kept open-ended for anybody who needs Chicago dining input.

I am looking for suggestions on where to take my wife for anniversary dinner this July. Something in theater district would be nice. a lot of the places I was interested in are not open on Sunday - Avenues, Blackbird, schwa, etc. Would love to try alinea but can't afford it right now. Any thoughts?

-Rich

RMeierdirks.

1. All three of McClain's restaurants are opened Sunday evenings - Custom House, Spring and the Green Zebra. Custom House is south Loop, so not far from the theaters.

2. NoMi at the Park Hyatt

3. MK

4. Brasserie Jo

5. Atwood Cafe isn't far from the theaters. I've only been for lunch. It's not in the league of Avenues, Blackbird or schwa, but still decent.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

RMeierdirks.

1. avec isn't exactly "romantic" or quiet... and can get quite crowded. the food is okay - but i'd much rather go to Blackbird.

2. Japonais, on my one visit was very disappointing. I think I posted about it on my blog a while ago. If you do go, I would encourage you to stay away from the sushi (overpriced and not good at all) and stick with the hot menu - very good filet and foie gras.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be in Chicago for a couple days at the end of the month and are looking for somewhere good to go with visiting friends that isn't super formal.

Looking for more of a Babbo type experience than a per se or French Laundry type thing.

Currently have reservations at Custom House.

How formal is it?

Other recommendations?

Also looking for a good Cocktailian bar and/or local microbrew type pub.

Cheers!

Erik

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Custom House isn't super-formal. I like to wear a jacket when I go, but the last time I was there I was in the minority. There were a few people there in jeans.

For nice, but not formal, Spring, Naha, and Blackbird are all good bets.

Sweets and Savories has outstanding food and is very casual.

For casual small-plates Italian, Quartino is excellent (but really, really loud).

Schwa is also outstanding, but your chances of getting a reservation on such short notice are slim to none.

All of these places should have their own threads.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Erik, the 2 brewpubs with which I'm most familiar are both on the north side:

Hopleaf Bar

5148 N. Clark St

Chicago, IL

773 334-9851

Goose Island Brewing Co.

1800 North Clybourn

Chicago, IL

312 915-0071

I'm not much a brew person but I've had great times at both places. The food at Hopleaf is surprisingly delicious. They serve up a few Belgian specialties. Their frites and mussells are both excellent.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

We'll be in Chicago for a couple days at the end of the month and are looking for somewhere good to go with visiting friends that isn't super formal.

Hi Erik! Nice to see you on another forum for once! :wink:

Might I add Scylla, North Pond, and Osteria Via Stato to Ronnie's great suggestions.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Hi Erik!  Nice to see you on another forum for once!  :wink:

You mean aside from the Fine Spirits forum?

I don't have a problem, really...

Though I did pick up some Pedro Ximinez Sherry, and I completely blame you for introducing me to that particular sweet vice.

:raz:

Thanks for the suggestions!

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Hi Erik!  Nice to see you on another forum for once!  :wink:

You mean aside from the Fine Spirits forum?

I don't have a problem, really...

Though I did pick up some Pedro Ximinez Sherry, and I completely blame you for introducing me to that particular sweet vice.

:raz:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh, the PX... shivers up and down my spine, it sends! By the way, the favas are germinating!

Oh, and just to keep this on topic (I know you're out there ronnie :hmmm::laugh: ), another great low(er) key place to check out in Chicago is one sixtyblue. And, if you've got the time to drive out to Western Springs, I'd love to hear about any experience you have at Vie.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Erik, the 2 brewpubs with which I'm most familiar are both on the north side:

[...]

Thanks Ronnie!

I'm familiar with Goose Island; but, didn't know about Hopleaf. Excellent! They have Three Floyds Alpha King! I was hoping to find some of Three Floyds' beers this trip. Not to mention Rodenbach on tap. I didn't even know that was available in the US.

:smile:

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Just to back up u.e.'s suggestions, it's been a while since I was at one sixtyblue but it's always been a really enjoyable spot for me. And my lone trip to Vie was absolutely fantastic and most memorable.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com