• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is the weirdest thing in your freezer?

slkinsey

Wasn't it Marilyn Monroe who claimed she always kept her

uh

panties?????

in the freezer? :smile:

I don't remember... but somewhere in the back of my mind, I recall a "helpful hint" that putting pantihose in the freezer before wearing them helps extend their life by preventing snags.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Twenty years ago I would have won with a few species of horrible tasting mushrooms, and a couple of kinds of weed that smelled so good when burned.  Now I have three types of roux.  Including blond, noisette, and black.  I realize this isn't dead animals, but a few of of my friends find it strange to have different colored flour and butter.

We used to put our mushrooms in the freezer to make them easier to swallow. Otherwise, the consistency reminded me of eating raw oysters, which I don't care for.

SB (never had enough to make a pizza though :sad: )

I don't remember... but somewhere in the back of my mind, I recall a "helpful hint" that putting pantihose in the freezer before wearing them helps extend their life by preventing snags.

I remember reading that years ago. Unfortunately, real estate in my freezer is too valuable for non food-related items.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

When I was in 8th grade, we had legendary slumber parties. The first to fall asleep had their bras dipped in water and frozen around the appropriate-sized round object. And then we left it in there for the older brother of the hostess to find. Horrors!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

My wife and I are in the process of opening a new restaurant. We have been cleaning up the mess left by the last tenant. This inculded the coolers and one freezer that was in the corner of the basement. The freezer was packed to the lid with stuff in it, most of it was freezer burnt and unusable. The funny thing was that there was frozen food product that dated back to the late 90's in the bottom. It took about 8 large garbage bags to get everything out.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

Do you really, really want to know what the wierdest thing in my freezer is? Are you sure?

Our son is turning three years old next week. The placenta that fed him in the womb is in the freezer. We planned to plant it with a tree in the yard as some old/new age custom suggests but haven't gotten around to it.

Do I win the prize?

(On Edit- after reading the rest of the thread it turns out to not be that rare. On homebirth- Jason asked the other day "where was I born" and it was fun to point to a spot in the corner of the bedroom and say "Right there".)

Edited by jimqpublic (log)

• 6 months later...

I have a stuffed pork loin roast from Christmas in the freezer. It was for a dinner that ended in disaster and only a few peices were gone from it. I keep meaning to throw it out, but lord have mercy putting that thing together was expensive (full of morels), and time-consuming, and dinner was just such a spectacular fiasco (drunk aunt falling down stairs, sister ill with flu) that I just don't have the heart to toss it.

I wish someone would just sneak into the house when we're not home and throw it away for me.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I just found a pair of jeans in the freezer.

Probably left over from the summer when it got too hot out? :biggrin:

Wasn't it Marilyn Monroe who claimed she always kept her

uh

panties?????

in the freezer? :smile:

Aaaah, that drove me crazy for about two minutes, until I remember where it came from :smile: -- that's one of her lines from The Seven Year Itch: "When it gets hot like this, you know what I do? I keep my undies in the icebox!

Upping the ante from the pair of jeans that I found in the freezer, today, while searching to find something to defrost, I found a SOCK. Yes, a single sock. Hanes (of the little boy size), and of the anklet length. I just wonder where it came from and how it got there. Peter wears the tall Hanes socks.

I think I need to do a serious freezer go-through and get my house cleaned. How in the hell does a sock get in the freezer, anyway??

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I think I need to do a serious freezer go-through and get my house cleaned.  How in the hell does a sock get in the freezer, anyway??

Hiding from the laundry?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Pretty boring -- left-over hail-stones in a ziplock bag from our spring hailstorm that got us a new roof, and most of a 5-lb bag of yellow corn grits, which I never seem to get around to cooking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I think I need to do a serious freezer go-through and get my house cleaned.  How in the hell does a sock get in the freezer, anyway??

Hiding from the laundry?

You've just found the Secret Re-Entry Point. All those dryer-exit socks are returning, and will take over the planet, two at a time. :raz:

A heart shaped potato (Valentine's Day type heart not aorta and ventricle type heart mind you).

It is not terribly odd but I found it while preparing spuds for one of our tail gates (in Mississippi I think) and gave it to the Fuss who cried. Being the sentimental sort she is she refuses to throw it away so it sits in the freezer.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I had a African mask hand carved in Mali. I heard that to avoid termite or other critter infestation on carved wooden art from Africa, you must wrap it -air tight- and put it in the freezer to kill any bugs or eggs. It worked.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}