• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is the weirdest thing in your freezer?

slkinsey

I am so glad to read other people have freezers full of ex-pets. But not glad in a creepy way. Glad in a yay, I'm not a total freak way. :hmmm:

I have a bag of ex-goldfish in my freezer - it started with a couple that lived to be almost 10, and I couldn't bring myself to flush them. Over the last couple of years as the little friends I bought to keep them company shuffled off the mortal coil, they've gone into the freezer too. For company.

I fully intend to one day take the little fishy iceblock to a river or lake to return them to their ancestral home. And I've vowed not to add any more to the stash, so I guess I'm reformed. Or something.

PET SCORPION??!!

I have a pet scorpion! Most aren't dangerous.

But I never put him in the freezer. I'm posting this vicariously for my mother, who once asked a neighbor if she could put something in her freezer that wouldn't fit into her own one at home. The neighbor said "sure, bring it on over." Half an hour later my mom arrives with a big plastic bag, inside of which is a (more or less) freshly dead black vulture. :) She does bird counts and helps with other studies; and a biologist at the U. of Arkansas said he'd be oh-so-grateful if she could find a dead one... Neighbor, knowing mom pretty well, was not all that...surprised.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Geez, its not weird at all compared to dead kittens, but I have a snowball of unknown age.  It does not snow much in North Carolina, and we get VERY excited when it does. 

I saved a snowball.....so someday.....when you least expect it.....BAM....:wink:

:::stroking my grey beard:::: Back in '74, when the big terrrrnadoes hit Ohio, they were preceded by a hailstorm. We put on batting helmets and ran around outside catching hailballs in a laundry basket, not noticing that all the cars looked like they'd been hit with a ballpeen(sp?) hammer.

I had one of those hailstones for years and years. And it shrunk, dang it! But it was very cool.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Yikes! I thought it was a truism that scorpions never change their nature. When I first saw one in Malaysia, my neighbor was terrified of it, so I knew they were big trouble. We had to smash them with a broom whenever we saw them. Of course, some people eat them, but not Malays, who are Muslims. Besides, I don't think they'd want to risk serious health consequences in order to catch them.

My kid insisted that he would be okay. I couldn't get my arms around that whole idea, so I never touched it until he croaked (or whatever scorpions do when they perish).

I also promised to hit the thing with a broom if I ever saw it. Makes perfect sense to me. (And sazji, Fluffy is in the freezer because he's dead!)

The only thing more interesting than my freezer is what is buried out back. When the archaeologists are sifting through the spontaneously combusted remains of Westchester County, no doubt chez Foodbabe will be ... discussed :laugh:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Geez, its not weird at all compared to dead kittens, but I have a snowball of unknown age.  It does not snow much in North Carolina, and we get VERY excited when it does. 

I saved a snowball.....so someday.....when you least expect it.....BAM....:wink:

:::stroking my grey beard:::: Back in '74, when the big terrrrnadoes hit Ohio, they were preceded by a hailstorm. We put on batting helmets and ran around outside catching hailballs in a laundry basket, not noticing that all the cars looked like they'd been hit with a ballpeen(sp?) hammer.

I had one of those hailstones for years and years. And it shrunk, dang it! But it was very cool.

You mean the tornado Super Outbreak, April 1974? I was in Indiana for that--we didn't have time for hailstones--we were stuck in school!

A couple of summers ago a beautiful and rather large bird crashed into the dining room window, instantly breaking his own neck. It was so beautiful and none of us could identify what kind of bird it was I put it in a box and stuck him in the downstairs freezer.

We promptly forgot all about him until the oldest comes home from college, goes down to the freezer to look for meat to feed his friends, opens the box, and finds the bird. Hilarity ensued.

A

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

We also had a corn snake named Bob who went to that big tree branch in the sky about a year ago.  His feeder mice are still in the freezer, and I find them when I have to dig for something.  I don't know why they're still in there. Nasty things.

Ah, you mean "pinkies," as my mom used to call them when we were raising a baby corn snake (Bisbee, purchased in Arizona, named after an old mining town there and smuggled home to Maryland inside a sock tied up in my sister's sweatshirt pocket) about 20 years ago.

This was a time when we already had multiplying mice from an earlier attempt at raising a snake, this one kept outside in a chicken-wire cage that held him in for, oh, 12 hours. Squeamish for perhaps a week, mom quickly took to Bisbee and routinely awaited a litter of newborn rodents, which she'd freeze in a little dish. A pinkie factory.

In the early stages, Bisbee couldn't eat whole one; I vividly remember Mom taking one out of the freezer, thawing it in the microwave and carefully cutting it into smaller pieces. Sheer horror.

My dead "Big Kitty" who collapsed just 2 minutes after I came back into the house after a business trip to Puerto Rico on Dec. 16. Had to put her down. Wasn't going to cremate her, and it's winter in Minnesota. Had no choice but to wrap her carefully in plastic, put her in the freezer, and wait until Spring to give her a proper burial.

I still say hello to the freezer every morning to Big Kitty and let her know I'm going to work and then again on the way in when the day is done. Its kind of really sad and while I didn't intend for this post to end this way, I'm really not feeling all so wonderful right this moment thinking about the whole thing.

doc

While house-sitting for a friend a few years ago, their cat brought a snake in through the "doggie door". I am deathly afraid of snakes, and here I am confronted by my mortal enemy IN THE HOUSE!

Don't ask me why, but I dashed in to the kitchen and found the largest container I could in a hurry - a large tupperware bowl. I quickly shooed the cat away (who was happily batting the snake towards potential cover) and plopped the container upside down over the offending reptile. Quickly topped with several large books (to prevent snake escape), I then had some time to catch my breathe and let my heart rate return to somewhat normal rates.

I'm not sure why I came up with this plan, but I knew that freezing a snake would render it harmless. Using the longest tongs I could find (the grilling ones) I some how managed to summon the courage to grab that damned snake with tongs and get it into a ziplock bag. (Although I remember the terrifying moments racing with the snake to get the bag closed before it could sliver up and out the bag!

Next stop: The household freezer. The problem: I forgot to leave a note for my friends! The result: After returning home from a long day's drive back from vacation, SURPRISE! She never lets me forget it. :laugh:

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

...I never touched it until he croaked (or whatever scorpions do when they perish).

I also promised to hit the thing with a broom if I ever saw it.  Makes perfect sense to me.  (And sazji, Fluffy is in the freezer because he's dead!)

...Fluffy... :biggrin:

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

heehee, i do have a placenta in mine. we had a homebirth-9-11-04 and the midwife says to freeze the placenta and then on trash day dispose of it. we were planning on using it for planting under a tree. i was at a moms meeting with all these other homebirthers and someone asked how many people still have their placenta and at least half the room raised their hands. then they started admitting how long they've had them. one womans husband wrote" do not eat" very big on their bag. :raz: i also had a dead pug in there awaiting cremation and was hoping my deep freezer did not become unplugged before the pick up of the dog.

"i saw a wino eating grapes and i was like, dude, you have to wait"- mitch hedburg

I used to think that it was weird for people to keep film and batteries in their freezers.

Until I read this thread. :wacko:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

heehee, i do have a placenta in mine. we had a homebirth-9-11-04 and the midwife says to freeze the placenta and then on trash day dispose of it. we were planning on using it for planting under a tree.[...]

It was (maybe still is?) traditional for rural Malays to have a burial ceremony for the placenta. I'd go into that more, but it's not about food. (They did not eat the placenta! They would consider that both crazy and haram, and probably extremely dangerous.)

Michael aka "Pan"

My freezer:

1. an old russian vodka encased in ice except for the opening.

2. 2 metal coffee travel-mugs.

3. my mixed fat container...bacon, chicken, chorizo, duck, etc.,.for sauteeing.

4. an old, rubbermaid container with french helix snails from last summer.

5. a pack of Marlboro lights in case the urge hits.

6. 1 ice tray with ice, one with chicken/mushroom stock.

7. 1 rubbermaid container full of chicken/mushroom stock.

8. a can of tuna...should probably throw that away!

Cheers.

Trevor Williams

-Kendall College-

eGullet Ethics Signatory

Twenty years ago I would have won with a few species of horrible tasting mushrooms, and a couple of kinds of weed that smelled so good when burned. Now I have three types of roux. Including blond, noisette, and black. I realize this isn't dead animals, but a few of of my friends find it strange to have different colored flour and butter.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE