• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is the weirdest thing in your freezer?

slkinsey

I was just making room for some extra ice in my freezer when I realized I have some pretty weird stuff in there. I mean, most people would think it odd that half my freezer space is taken up with various animal fats, currently duck, goose, bacon, lard and chicken fats plus some butter made from the cream skimmed from parmigiano reggiano. And indeed the weirdest thing in there is yet another kind of fat. I have a big chunk of blubber a friend from Alaska brought the last time she was in New York. I think it's whale blubber, but it might be seal blubber. Haven't decided what to do with it yet, but rest assured that I will be making Steven Shaw eat some of it and we will be writing about it here. Recipes for blubber are, of course, appreciated.

So, what's the weirdest thing in your freezer?

--

Somehow this post came off somewhat Silence of the Lambs, Sam.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Weirdest thing in my freezer.....Trash. Yep, garbage. I freeze my garbage. Learned it from my mom. This way it doesn't stink up the trash and invite racoons and other scavengers. She used to have a problem with that, and started the freezing habit. Now I do the same.

Weird, huh?

:) Pam

Edited by pam claughton (log)

I've got a bob cat hide waiting for my son (he shot it with his bow) to take it to the taxidermist.

I think you just trumped my finch carcass.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

A bag of "frozen garbage": carrot ends, celery tops, leek tops, etc. waiting for the next batch of stock, and three frozen chicken carcasses from which said stock will eventually be made when I get around to it.

Not weird by egullet standards at all.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Weirdest thing in my freezer.....I may win this one. Trash. Yep, garbage. I freeze my garbage. Learned it from my mom. This way it doesn't stink up the trash and invite racoons and other scavengers.  She used to have a problem with that, and started the freezing habit. Now I do the same.

Weird, huh?

I freeze my garbage too. I put it outside :raz:

While it is long gone the weirdest thing we have had in our freezer was a poor songbird that died after flying into a window. I don't recall why we froze it. :huh:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

This probably doesn't qualify as weird, but 5-ish years ago, my recently father made the best meatloaf my mother had ever had. She asked him to tell her how she made it, joking, "What if you die? I'll never be able to have it again!" to which he replied, "Don't worry, there's another one in the freezer." He died just a few days later, and that meatloaf is still in my mother's freezer. She just can't bear to throw it away.

Were it twenty years ago, I'd win.  :shock:

OK, I'll bite!

Why? :unsure:

This, combined with Jason's Hannibal Lecter reference, is making me nervous.

ETA: OK, now I'm thinking illicit substances rather than body parts. Much nicer. :laugh:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I also have a ton of broken down chicken carcasses (raw, not from roasted chickens) and around a dozen cocktail glasses in the door. But that doesn't strike me as all that weird for an eG crowd. :smile:

--

A frozen foam Winnie the Pooh head in a Zip Lock Bag! :shock:

SB (it's almost creepy)  :blink:

At least it isn't a cheesehead hat. That would be treasonous.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Let me guess - placenta? Oddly enough, this would not be considered odd in any way among most of my friends.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

The weirdest thing is whatever it is I've forgotten about and can't recognize. :blink:

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Let me guess - placenta? Oddly enough, this would not be considered odd in any way among most of my friends.

Pardon me, but I really don't want to know. :shock:

SB (happy with a Pooh Head)

A huge selection of batteries(I have kids, therefore lots of toys) they take up way too much room. My dad convinced my soon to be ex that it helped keep them "fresh" and so thats where they are stored now(untill the courts say I can take them out.)

Up until the upright freezer died two years ago, it was a sixteen year old bag of breast milk. (I wasn't saving it for future use, honest!) Nothing too weird now that I've only got the top freezers in my two fridges.

We used to freeze the leftover shells and debris from boiled crawfish so it wouldn't stink up the garbage. No room for that now.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Pardon me, but I really don't want to know. :shock:

SB (happy with a Pooh Head)

I guess placenta(s), too.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Weirdest thing in my freezer.....Trash. Yep, garbage. I freeze my garbage. Learned it from my mom. This way it doesn't stink up the trash and invite racoons and other scavengers.  She used to have a problem with that, and started the freezing habit. Now I do the same.

Weird, huh?

I do that too :shock: .