• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oh, the places you'll go

dbrociner

Maybe I'm obsessed by the smoking ban but I'd like to know where people will be going once the smoking ban goes into effect. On another thread I mentioned the Landmark in Livingston as a place I never go to because its so smokey. How about we compile a list of places worth a visit but that we've avoided because of cigarette smoke. Again, in keeping with egullet protocol please refrain from politicizing this topic.

Ahh -- the Belmont Tavern.  :smile:

That's exactly the place I had in mind!

However, I think that place will still be packed when the ban is in effect. For me, more often than not it is the long wait for a table and some of the "inside crowd" antics that shy me away from the Belmont more than smoke.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

However, I think that place will still be packed when the ban is in effect. For me, more often than not it is the long wait for a table and some of the "inside crowd" antics that shy me away from the Belmont more than smoke.

The Belmont is also the first place I thought of, but someone in the know told me "Don't count on them abiding by it...and don't count on anyone enforcing it." Just sharing...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The Belmont is also the first place I thought of, but someone in the know told me "Don't count on them abiding by it...and don't count on anyone enforcing it." Just sharing...

I had considered that as well, but I'm assuming a fine or two will force them to comply. The Belmont is as old school as it gets.

I'd never complain, but I'm sure that somebody will...

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I really never had a problem with smoke as long as it's not blown directly in my face. I have yet to find a place that serves food that is "too" smokey to patronize. Won't affect me in the least.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd give this topic a bump with the smoking ban going into effect tonight at midnight.

I was in the Outback in Greenbrook a few weeks ago, sitting at the bar waiting for my "take away", having a vodka tonic and trying to stay upwind of a couple of smokers. I said to the bartender that I couldn't wait for April 15th. She nodded and told me she's asked to be the one who gets to throw away the ashtrays.

Add the bar at Outback to my list of places I might go starting tomorrow.

Edited by dbrociner (log)

I'm debating whether I'm going to use the new ban to go back to Sun Tavern, a bar near us that's not bad & one of the few things open late. The problem is, they didn't really want to have the dining room open late. They kept bitching whenever we wanted "non-smoking" and wanting us to sit in the bar. Finally just stopped going there. But there's not a lot of late night non-diner options, so I might be going back now.

In general, a lot of places we won't have to be grumpy about sitting too close to the bar now. I have some doubts about how "fair" a law it is, but I do like the benefit on a personal level. My sister must be furious, though (a heavy smoker).

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Cafe Eclectic in Montclair. Not that it's so great, but it's a comfy place to hang out, especially in what used to be the smokers' side. And just today I saw them painting the place, with doors and windows wide open. I'm hoping this means they'll be playing by the rules.

Susan

Cafe Eclectic in Montclair. Not that it's so great, but it's a comfy place to hang out, especially in what used to be the smokers' side. And just today I saw them painting the place, with doors and windows wide open. I'm hoping this means they'll be playing by the rules.

Susan

Everyone will be playing by the rules or paying dearly for not doing so. Of course there will be some exceptions but the fines are steep and there are lots of whistle blowers out there.

I was in Fridays yesterday for drinks at the bar, I only go to the best places :biggrin: .

Anyway, I asked two of the bartenders if they were happy about the ban, one wouldn't answer until she knew where I stood and then admitted to being happy about it and the other seemed indifferent. A small sample but I was happy that no one was lighting up.

I really never had a problem with smoke as long as it's not blown directly in my face.  I have yet to find a place that serves food that is "too" smokey to patronize.  Won't affect me in the least.

Aren't you an admitted cigar smoker? Hmmm...

I'm not rushing out to reward any restaurants for complying with the new law, when it is the case that it has always been possible for any restaurant to declare itself "no smoking", and so many restaurants in NJ did this years ago. I'm thinking in particular of numerous of restaurants in Hoboken and Montclair (to name two towns) that have been non-smoking for many years now. These owners have shown a commitment to the dining experience, and they should be rewarded first.

As far as restaurants who could have elimated smoking but needed a law passed before they did vomit.gif, I see no reason to reward them.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's