• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef "branded" produce

JAZ

I was at a Safeway store a few weeks ago, and saw "Emeril's Tomatoes" in the produce section -- romas and cherry tomatoes packed in bags, with his name and picture.

This was new for me -- of course I've seen all kinds of sauces and the like from chefs (or their restaurants) -- Rick Bayliss and his Frontera salsas come to mind, as well as Emeril's sauces and spice mixtures. But I'd never seen produce with a chef's name attached.

Then, more recently, the store where I work started carrying Rachael Ray's new olive oil, called (big surprise here) "EVOO." (In her words on the back label, it's "extra yummy.")

Is this a new trend, or have I just missed it? Do the marketing types think that having the name of a chef or a food celebrity like RR attached to a tomato or a bottle of olive will make it more attractive? Do consumers really think that Emeril is hand selecting these tomatoes, or that Rachael is tasting olive oils to find the best blend?

Emeril's tomatoes hit my market last week, too.

It really sort of spooked me to see his face smiling from a cherry tomato carton.

And hopeful as I was that the tomatoes *would* have some sort of tomato-y smell coming from them that would mean they actually had taste, there was none.

I had to put his happy face right up to my nose to discover that. No go. Sad. :sad:

Emeril's tomatoes hit my market last week, too.

It really sort of spooked me to see his face smiling from a cherry tomato carton.

And hopeful as I was that the tomatoes *would* have some sort of tomato-y smell coming from them that would mean they actually had taste, there was none.

I had to put his happy face right up to my nose to discover that. No go. Sad. :sad:

I smell a metaphor.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I was at a Safeway store a few weeks ago, and saw "Emeril's Tomatoes" in the produce section -- romas and cherry tomatoes packed in bags, with his name and picture.

This was new for me -- of course I've seen all kinds of sauces and the like from chefs (or their restaurants) -- Rick Bayliss and his Frontera salsas come to mind, as well as Emeril's sauces and spice mixtures. But I'd never seen produce with a chef's name attached.

Then, more recently, the store where I work started carrying Rachael Ray's new olive oil, called (big surprise here) "EVOO." (In her words on the back label, it's "extra yummy.")

Is this a new trend, or have I just missed it? Do the marketing types think that having the name of a chef or a food celebrity like RR attached to a tomato or a bottle of olive will make it more attractive? Do consumers really think that Emeril is hand selecting these tomatoes, or that Rachael is tasting olive oils to find the best blend?

"Extra yummy". Oh, dear.

Whenever I think I might be missing out by not having cable or satellite TV, I roll on over to eGullet to disabuse myself of that notion! :raz:

It may be catching on now, but marketing by celebrities certainly isn't new. Photos of Hopalong Cassidy (don't say "who?" too loudly, now, or I'll hit you with my cane) graced the cartons of Producer's Milk when I was growing up. On a more familiar note, don't forget that Newman's Own has been going strong for a long time. I hate to bring it up in connection with FN marketing, though; the motivation seems to have been different even though the marketing was similar.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It may be catching on now, but marketing by celebrities certainly isn't new.  Photos of Hopalong Cassidy (don't say "who?" too loudly, now, or I'll hit you with my cane) graced the cartons of Producer's Milk when I was growing up.  On a more familiar note, don't forget that Newman's Own has been going strong for a long time.

One big difference I see between "Newman's Own" and the Emeril tomatoes and RR olive oil is that presumably, the recipes for Newman's products (or at least the first few -- not sure about the later ones) are actually his own. That is, the products sold under his name have something to do with him. As I said, I doubt Emeril is growing or selecting the tomatoes sold under his name. And although I suppose it's possble Rachael actually selected the olive oil that bears her name, I doubt she had a hand in its manufacture.

One big difference I see between "Newman's Own" and the Emeril tomatoes and RR olive oil is that presumably, the recipes for Newman's products (or at least the first few -- not sure about the later ones) are actually his own. That is, the products sold under his name have something to do with him. As I said, I doubt Emeril is growing or selecting the tomatoes sold under his name. And although I suppose it's possble Rachael actually selected the olive oil that bears her name, I doubt she had a hand in its manufacture.

Good point.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It still doesn't beat the NASCAR brand tomatoes for weirdness.

?eh? Please tell us more!

I did recently hear that NASCAR and Harlequin Romance are teaming up for, er, racy romances (I couldn't resist), on the theory that romance novels are as fine a family activity as NASCAR racing. Tomatoes I hadn't heard about.

I've seen the packages of NASCAR veg -- surreal beyond belief. Janet Evanovich's "Metro Girl" (if I remember correctly-- I read about eight books a week) features romance, mayhem and a hottie hero called NASCAR Guy or something. It wasn't bad.

Does anyone actually buy any celebrity line? With the exception of Newman's Own, does the imprimateur of a celeb actually make merchandise fly out the door? I'd love to check the P&L of, say, Emeril's kiddie stuff.

(I am impelled to add that my mother, who is neither gullible nor cooking-impaired adores Jamie Oliver's cookware. I am further impelled to add that Mummy is right about everything, 98% of the time.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Good point.

Yea and the profit makes its way to a really great kids charity too.

I think anyone who would buy tomatoes or olive oil just because they saw Emeril's or perpetual sunshine's face on it deserves to eat it. :biggrin:

-Mike & Andrea

I've seen the packages of NASCAR veg -- surreal beyond belief. Janet Evanovich's "Metro Girl" (if I remember correctly-- I read about eight books a week) features romance, mayhem and a hottie hero called NASCAR Guy or something. It wasn't bad.

Does anyone actually buy any celebrity line? With the exception of Newman's Own, does the imprimateur of a celeb actually make merchandise fly out the door?  I'd love  to check the P&L of, say, Emeril's kiddie stuff.

(I am impelled to add that my mother, who is neither gullible nor cooking-impaired adores Jamie Oliver's cookware.  I am further impelled to add that Mummy is right about everything, 98% of the time.)

Does Janet Evanovich write for Harlequin? I thought she pitched to a different market, at a higher level, than the Harlequin Romances. (I confess, I'm too lazy to go check further to who publishes her books.) I think she may just happen to have written a NASCAR racer into her book rather than participating in the marketing line I'm talking about.

I'd like to know about the celeb endorsement bit, too. My guess is that the typical eGulleteer would be skeptical until the quality were proven. Does that hold for the "rest of the world" too? (My, aren't we the exclusive ones. :rolleyes: ) And for the record, one of my dear friends adores his Wolfgang Puck cookware, given to him by his son. (I think it's called "9W".) I would have avoided it *because* of the product endorsement, but it does its job well in my friend's household.