• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making wine without experience

Brad Ballinger

Full article here.

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 9, 2006--A winemaking revolution has started on the West Coast as more than 200 customers of Crushpad can now pour a glass of wine perfectly matched to their palate because they were able to work with Crushpad to choose a vineyard and make their own wine no matter where they live. Crushpad is opening up 2006 grape source allocations this month so that even more wine aficionados can sign up to become "citizen winemakers." The winery is also readying MyCrushpad 2.0, its online "virtual winemaking" site that enables customers from around the world to participate in the process without physically being at the winery.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

did they actually launch anything new, or are they just going back to the press-release well? from the release, it sounds like the latter. Crushpad has been doing this for a while now. interesting concept.

they did appear to switch PR firms, though.

did they actually launch anything new, or are they just going back to the press-release well?  from the release, it sounds like the latter. Crushpad has been doing this for a while now. interesting concept.

I think Crushpad 2.0 might be an update.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

did they actually launch anything new, or are they just going back to the press-release well?  from the release, it sounds like the latter. Crushpad has been doing this for a while now. interesting concept.

I think Crushpad 2.0 might be an update.

curious. there was already a version of the Web-based "let us make your wine for you" service a while back, when they pitched me and a friend started writing about them. maybe they're overhauling it.

what fascinates me most is that the release is coming after they've done a bunch of stuff, and before they're unveiling a new service, sort of a tide-over release. maybe their flacks are getting paid by the media hit.