• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland Public Market up for sale

johnnyd

I was in the market today and heard from the horse's mouth that the management group (Boulus, who runs the PPM for the Libra Foundation) had approached current vendors and stated that they would help them find new locations and negiotate leases. Kind of a back-handed compliment of sorts and the tell-tale sign that the market is being finally sold. It is pretty hush on what exactly is the outcome, but that is basically bold writing on the wall. From what I deduced there is still the month of March remaining for bidders but it sounds like a buyer is already in place.

• 3 months later...

My wife and I are going to be in Portland next month. What is the current status of the Public Market? Open/closed? Remaining vendors? Is there somewhere else we should consider going to buy local produce on a Sunday in August?

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

The PPM is a ghost town. A coffee shop remains.

But there are plenty of places to get fresh local produce. Jordan's Farm on Cape Elizabeth is a terrific spot (visited briefly during my foodblog last August). They are happy to take your calls to see what's in and there's a map on there web site, about seven minutes out from the bridge to SoPo. Pretty drive too!

edit to note: link doesn't seem to go directly to post - see foodblog post #54 for Jordan's - jd

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 1 month later...

News item on TV says four PPM vendors will have the new Portland Public Market on Monument square open to the public in three weeks. Posting later on which four and exact address.

edit to add merchants:

Maine Beer and Beverage, K. Horton’s Specialty Foods, A Country Bouquet and Big Sky Bread Company.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com