• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What kind of cookie is this?

Berlinsbreads

I recently had a cookie that seemed familiar to me but I cannot place what kind it is. It was similar to a sugar cookie in appearance & texture but contained coconut, too. It was crispy on the edges and somewhat chewy in the middle. It came from a supermarket bought cookie assortment so my guess is that it is a pretty mainstream type of cookie. Anyone have any ideas? Recipes?

I'm not sure which supermarket these cookies came from but they were in the tell-tale plastic container. They weren't macaroons. I looked through my King Arthur Cookie Companion cookbook that seems to have every cookie known to mankind and the the only one that sounded close was 'Coconut Jumbles.' It describes them as Snickerdoodle-like but with coconut instead of cinnamon. I would say these cookies were a cross between Snickerdoodles & Sugar Cookies.

I just thought they might be a specific kind that I could look up. Ah well, I'll have to do some experimenting!

Here is a recipe for a cookie called Cocos from The Village Baker's Wife. It is very buttery and delicious. Maybe similar to what you are looking for.

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut

1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

1 cup suar

1 large egg yolk

Mix the flour with the coconut. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar until well mixed,add the egg yolk and mix in well, scrape the bowl then add the flour/coconut and mix in until completely incorporated.

You can scoop the dough and bake or roll into logs and freeze, then slice and bake. Bake about 15 minutes at 325 degrees. Until they are golden around the edges.

I like to use salted butter or add 1/2 tsp salt to the recipe.

I have used sweetened shredded coconut and they were fine.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

That sounds like a Maurice Lenell cookie. Anyone who's grown up in Chicago knows who they are. They have a cookie that is a sugar cookie but with toasted coconut in it. It doesn't have a name on their site..they just sell by the tin.

I remember my dad would take us to the factory to get a bag of "rejects" for like 2 bucks.

Go to this site & look at the background pic. the coconut one is in the middle row all the way to the right. Is that similar to the one you had?

ML cookie