• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gary Danko

jordyn

We didn’t take a picture of the risotto because it was too good. I was angry at myself when the table next to me asked to take a picture because they’d forgotten. 

I had the Dungeness crab salad from the appetizer menu. It was good. Not great. My husband had the tuna from the seafood menu:

CB29A72C-F480-4A11-AC59-ED248899469C.jpeg

E0FEB303-CE34-488A-8DD4-5003F028441C.jpeg

• Like 5

My main was the lobster from the seafood selection. My husband has the duck and loved it. My main was excellent. We drank a Pinot Nior from Williamete Valley with these dishes. I was FULL. But I loved this because I can’t eat a lot but I love being able to eat more than one dish. My husband finished with the chocolate soufflé and they gave me a birthday passion fruit cake/ sorbet. It was good.  I’d go back. 

E0A68390-C71D-41B7-BD99-451BFD28F4AF.jpeg

C5AA4751-3C5A-4F90-8369-7F6C6F7E1E29.jpeg

23776616-298B-4712-A059-11043F9456A9.jpeg

0180973A-19CE-4005-A5F5-FF3F5AA42288.jpeg

476877E7-C407-489D-91DE-3510BDAF457C.jpeg

73A11BAF-1E78-4C80-A4E9-97ED641D8704.jpeg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

My main was the lobster from the seafood selection. My husband has the duck and loved it. My main was excellent. We drank a Pinot Nior from Williamete Valley with these dishes. I was FULL. But I loved this because I can’t eat a lot but I love being able to eat more than one dish. My husband finished with the chocolate soufflé and they gave me a birthday passion fruit cake/ sorbet. It was good.  I’d go back. 

What a lovely celebration...Happy Birthday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding transporting wines from Napa when we were up there a few years ago a lot of the wineries sold an item called a "Wine Check," which is a specially designed bag that carries twelve bottles and can be put onto the airplane as checked luggage. Ours came safely all the way back to Australia and they are nowhere near as expensive as the other options. The wineries use it as an advertising opportunity by having their logo put on it. The wine check site is here: https://thewinecheck.com. We bought the $85 variant in Napa.

• Like 3

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I hear you, girl.   Happy (small bites) birthday.   Safe trip back here to NJ for you and the hubs!

p.s.  where is the pup?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 4 months later...
On 3/20/2019 at 1:59 PM, suzilightning said:

I hear you, girl.   Happy (small bites) birthday.   Safe trip back here to NJ for you and the hubs!

p.s.  where is the pup?

When we go away the pup goes to the kennel. I kind of hate it despite her having a private room with her own tv and her room is sound proof. She’s a “people” dog not a Dog’s dog. 

On topic, we will likely go back to SF and Danko for my 40th next March and also rent a home in Sonoma or Napa. 

• 6 months later...

I have a 9pm reservation at Gary Danko for March 14th. It was, when I called three weeks ago, the earliest reservation. 

Which should be about 12am for us but, I anticipate on sleeping 90% of the flight to SF. Plus then, since we are staying by the Wharf (I wanted to change it up) means we can snack and sample and walk then nap and have a nice dinner. 

While GD isn’t the best restaurant I’ve been to, their format is absolutely the best for me. I cannot eat a full three course meal— I generally don’t have a sweet tooth and appetizers and seafood on their menu always entice me. 

I have a rental home in Sonoma about 3 miles from the center of town. Any restaurant recommendations? I’m considering hiring a chef to come to the house on my birthday (my 40th and st Patrick’s day) since we will be spending the day touring wineries and I know I will not want to get dressed and go out. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 1

In Boyes Hot Springs, just outside of Sonoma, super casual Mexican for lunch (cause it's a dive).  El Molino Central.

In Santa Rosa, super casual Mexican but some of the best I've had...Taqueria Molcajetes. Anything else I'd offer would take you much further afield, as we stay in Healdsburg when out in wine country.

However, if you drive over to the coast and thru Sebastapol, SPARC is a great dispensary.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

26 minutes ago, weinoo said:

In Boyes Hot Springs, just outside of Sonoma, super casual Mexican for lunch (cause it's a dive).  El Molino Central.

In Santa Rosa, super casual Mexican but some of the best I've had...Taqueria Molcajetes. Anything else I'd offer would take you much further afield, as we stay in Healdsburg when out in wine country.

However, if you drive over to the coast and thru Sebastapol, SPARC is a great dispensary.

When we were out that way for our honeymoon on the trip back from Kauai, we stayed at the Grape Leaf Inn in Healdsburg - a fantastic little B&B who has the most amazing 'hidden' wine cellar for happy time treats.  We stayed there specifically due to its walking distance from Cyrus, a destination for us at the time.  Not sure if they are still around, but if so, do yourself a favour and head there (It is still in my top 5 all time meals).

Love the dispensary recc - though I have a feeling 10 years ago it might have not been around! ;)

52 minutes ago, TicTac said:

We stayed there specifically due to its walking distance from Cyrus, a destination for us at the time.  Not sure if they are still around, but if so, do yourself a favour and head there (It is still in my top 5 all time meals).

Love the dispensary recc - though I have a feeling 10 years ago it might have not been around! ;)

Yes, we really enjoyed Cyrus, but it has been closed for many a year - 2012. There were attempts to bring it back around, but not happening.

There are other great restaurants in Healdsburg of course, starting with Single Thread, which may have been our single greatest dining experience, at least in this country.  It was on our most recent trip, this past August.  We also had dinner over the hill in St. Helena, at Christopher Kostow's more casual The Charter Oak restaurant.  Same space that once held the seminal Napa Valley restaurant Tra Vigne - some good stories about that place!

And how'd we get back and forth, since drinking and driving is a real no-no! Driving over the Mayacama's can be harrowing in the best of times, but Uber worked for us!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 2/29/2020 at 2:36 AM, blue_dolphin said:

I really like the girl & the fig.  I haven't been for about a year but have enjoyed dinner, late lunches and brunch there several times.  

they’re actually having a wine dinner at  Bartholomew on 3/14. We won’t be in Sonoma at that time, kinda bummed.