• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking at COSTCO

Jason Perlow

I don't very much like the cloying berry sauce on the very berry sundae. I much prefer just the plain frozen yogurt -- it's very good by the standards of lowfat/nonfat frozen yogurt products. But yes, the dipped ice cream bars are about a million times better.

Cloying? It seems to just be defrosted frozen berries to me. And mostly blackberries too, mmm.
I like the berry sunday... cloying in what sense? sweet? or just nauseating?  I don't find them too sweet - have even remarked that they almost seem to be unsweetened.  Maybe they're different here.

See, Pam agrees.
Heh. When I first read the title of this topic, I thought it would be *all* about the free samples. :laugh: Grazing the samples carts used to be my favorite part of the whole Costco experience.

I love the samples, but my Costco (the Holmdel one) is a MADHOUSE during prime daytime.  I avoid the zoo if I can and go in the evenings, when there's no more samples.

Exactly.

We joined mostly for the eyeglasses. We have friends with memberships, so we'd frequently go with them and split the too large items. My mother especially didn't want us to get a membership, it was one of her ways to get us to visit! Let's go to Costco! I bought too many X, want some? Come down and get it. Etc.

Anyway, the eyeglasses made the membership worth it. Costco accepts our vision plan, so our frames and prescriptions with all the bells and whistles cost a whopping $101.50 each! The last time we got glasses, Jason's were around $600 and mine were $400 -- no vision plan at a major chain eyewhere place. So cheap, we both also got prescription sunglasses, which the vision plan didn't offset, but they were still under $200 each.

Wait, we're talking about snacking, right? OK, the point of the eyewear story is that it made us visit Costco several times at various hours. Over the course of a month (exam, ordering, various pick ups) we've gone at least 5 times. If you go on the weekend, it's a madhouse, there's lots of sampling, but good luck getting any with the crowds around each display. And, most of the stuff they are sampling is processed crap (taquittos anyone?). I did get a sample of some good ravioli once, but it just made me thirsty, and I hadn't gotten the drink at the beginning of the trip thing down yet, and the line for the drink that was being sampled was too long. :wacko:

So, we've pretty much decided to never go during the weekends anymore. Early or late on weekdays is good, the lines to check out aren't too bad (although still long because fewer checkout stations are open). Afternoons are horrible, 80% as bad as Saturday. During the day, you see the restaurant owners, not as many kids of obnoxious ages. Fortunately we both have flexible work schedules so we can do this, I feel sorry for those who have to go on Saturdays. :shock:

What inspired this thread was that we stopped at Costco last night, just for the berry sundae (he had mentioned going to Carvel, I noted that Costco was closer to where we had our Thai food for dinner). And to see what other ice cream they offer. Pitiful selection by the way. Just Haagen Dazs vanilla and almond ice cream bars and massive tubs of Kirkland vanilla. I picked up one box of the ice cream bars -- but the lines were long (not horrible, just too long for buying one item, imo), I handed it to a cashier and said, "I don't want to wait on a long line to get one item, this is frozen, so you might want to send someone to put it back in the freezer, I wish there was an express lane." I went over to Jason (getting the berry sundaes), and a Costco employee with my ice cream bars in her hand said, "Ma'am, I can ring these up for you if you still want them" and proceeded to do so at the hearing aid station! No express lane? Make your own!

I went over to Jason (getting the berry sundaes), and a Costco employee with my ice cream bars in her hand said, "Ma'am, I can ring these up for you if you still want them" and proceeded to do so at the hearing aid station! No express lane? Make your own!

Did you want sprinkles with that hearing aid, ma'am? :smile:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

The lobster rolls they sell in New England and the Maritimes are good. They have much bigger, more identifiable chunks of lobster. That one from Winnipeg looks terrible.

Maybe they're using the infamous Manitoba Hog Barn Lobsters here. Yummy.

When the Lancaster Costco moved from its original building at the north end of town, to its new, much larger and with a gas station, place at the south end of town, they had, for about 5 minutes, or so it seemed, real bratwurst, offered grilled and on toasted French rolls. I had one and it was delicious.

On my next visit, two weeks later, it was off the menu and when questioned, the window person simply shrugged and said she didn't know anything about it.

I would have thought I dreamed it, had I not mentioned it to another customer who was also looking for a repeat of the experience.

A barbecue pork sandwich also made a brief appearance on the menu as well as a lemonade icee or slurpee, both very good and sorely missed.

I can only surmise that not enough were sold to warrant them staying on the menu. They do have a burrito that is enough to feed two people generously but I know it was not available at the Costco in Yorba Linda, Orange county in December 05.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hmm, there are five Costcos within a 15 mile radius of my home, and none of them have french fries or Italian sausage available in the food court. Which is a pity, since I would go for that italian sausage. And come to think of it, they don't carry italian sausage inside the stores, either. Their hot dogs are the Hebrew National brand.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Hmm, there are five Costcos within a 15 mile radius of my home, and none of them have french fries or Italian sausage available in the food court.  Which is a pity, since I would go for that italian sausage.  And come to think of it, they don't carry italian sausage inside the stores, either.  Their hot dogs are the Hebrew National brand.

I would die a thousand deaths if my Costco stopped stocking Italian sausage. Actually, in this area, I think it's required by law.

This thread is fascinating, to see all the regional differences for stuff. I'm jealous. Our NJ Costcos seem fairly generic, compared to lobster rolls, and bulgogi.

Anyway, I can just picture some accountant at Costco HQ, wherever that is, looking at the onion line item on his costing spreadsheet for the Korea stores, and thinking, "WTF?". And then I giggle.

Well, HQ used to be in a town in the suburbs of Seattle WA named Kirkland (thus the name for Costco's house brand), but on checking their website I see that they've moved their official address a few towns over, to Issaquah. Still suburbs of Seattle, though.

Today Rachel and I went to the Hackensack Costco in an attempt to have an all-Costco-snackbar degustation menu.

gallery_2_4_26648.jpg

As it happens, our local Costco has a very limited menu. Pretty much everything you can possibly order is displayed above, with the exception of the hand dipped ice cream pops.

gallery_2_4_50442.jpg

We had mixed reactions to the pizza. For the most part, we thought it was better than Dominos or Pizza Hut pizza, and the veggie toppings were fresh. However, don't bother with the pepperoni or the sausage, we thought they were of pretty lousy quality. I think if you were going to order one of these to take out, I'd get a plain or a veggie pie.

gallery_2_4_43043.jpg

The sausage subs we thought were just okay. The Premio brand sausage has a very high fat content, its a bit on the soft side, and rather underseasoned for Italian sausage. The rolls are also soft, which is not the ideal type for a sausage sub. We'd probably not order these again.

gallery_2_4_8888.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised by the Chicken Bake, which while having highly processed tasting chicken peices in it, was actually pretty good. The dough was seasoned with some sort of not at all unpleasant commercial foodservice parmesan cheese, had a nice chew to it, and I liked the mixture of processed chicken chunks to onion and cheese and ham filling. I'd definitely order this one again.

I'm now rather inclined to head over to other Costco locations in my area to see if there is any variation of selection in the respective snack bars.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The three items they have at most Costcos in this region that aren't necessarily up on the board are soft pretzels, hand-dipped ice cream bars and the chicken Caesar (which I see is on the board at Hackensack). You're not going to find much variation in this region. Costco divides the continent into several regions and, within region, there's not a whole heck of a lot of variation.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It dawned on me that perhaps the Snack bar idea could be expanded into a much more money making enteprise if Costco were to do the following:

1) Create a "COSTCO Lounge" which essentially would be a large area where shopping-weary men could sit down (and escape their children and wives) on big leather couches (the same kind they sell in the furniture area) and watch the models of big screen TV's that are sold in the electronics area. Always have the TVs showing cool movies and sports events. Kind of like an in-house sports bar for COSTCO members.

2) The Lounge would have a snack bar that would sell various varieties of heatable junk food that is normally for sale in the freezer area -- Wings, Mini subs, burritos, ice cream, etc. There'd also be display case freezers where the men could take selected frozen boxes of these products home and buy them right there on the spot, instead of having to go to the regular check out line. Kind of like what they do at a 7-11, but there'd be someone to nuke the various snacks and such, like a really attractive college girl or something.

3) Soft drink machine, with various cans of soda and stuff of brands that are sold in the beverage area.

Essentially, this lounge would be a product showcase for food and snap-purchase items, as well as a showcase for the various high-ticket items, like the sofas and the TV's, which you could buy right then and there as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Today Rachel and I went to the Hackensack Costco in an attempt to have an all-Costco-snackbar degustation menu.

Costco is pretty hip to their customers wants and needs...if they catch wind of this, they'll probably add a degustation menu. Of course, it'll be for 25 people.

This thread has cracked me up all day. I've never really paid any attention to the food court before. Now that I know the ins and outs (eat first, refill soda, ask to have the dog run through the pizza oven - maybe they'll add that as a POS item now, like BK's "off the broiler" option?) I'll be sure to check it out on my next visit. I think we're down to our last 8 gallons of laundry detergent. Maybe I'll run by there on the way home. :wink:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I've never really taken much notice of the snack bar at my local Costco. I've grabbed diet coke or a hot dog there on occasion, but never anything else. Obviously, that's about to change. :wink::biggrin:

BTW, Jason, I love the lounge idea!

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I've never paid any attention to the snack area at my Costco either, but for some reason, I recall fries being available. Maybe not. I need to go there on Sunday or Monday so I'll actually take a look!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

It would be rather humorous if we all show up at our local Costco with a printout of Jason's Lounge concept and ask the manager on duty about the feasibility of creating one shortly.

I swear that Costco's top management might actually want consider the possibility when enough customers press for the idea. Thanks, Jason! You should be a marketer ... you might want to patent your idea ....

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Who could pass up a really good deal on a pre-stained leather couch and matching recliner? No more sitting around wondering who will be the first to spill - that detail was already seen-to by one of the Costco Lounge lizards.

M.F.K. Fisher

Iirc, my local Costco (Clifton) had Hebrew Natl dogs, then when HN had a shortage (can't remember why--fire at a plant, maybe?), they switched to Sinai, and noted it on the big sign. I'm pretty sure they're back to HN now, but I rarely get a dog there b/c they're so damn limp. Now that I know THE trick, I may have to give them a shot again!

Edit due to cross-post with Jason's pics--Jason, the Clifton one has the identical menu.

Now I'm curious to know if the bake-it-yourself pizzas that they sell in the back of the store (near the world's best rotisserie chickens) are the same pizzas they make for the snack bar...anyone know? I always look at those huge pies and think they're a great bargain ($7.99 for plain, iirc) and I could add my own toppings, but I've never purchased one.

Jason's comment about the buns for the sausage sandwich reminded me that the buns for the hot dogs are steamed. A legit reason to hate them, imho. Bleah.

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thanks for the laughs, Judy! :laugh:

BTW - Since it wasn't too busy, I asked one of the snack bar ladies some questions. The veggie pizza is only available as a whole take away pie. By the slice is plain, pepperoni, or supreme, which is veggie plus pepperoni and sausage. So next time I want the pizza it's plain for me. She had no clue about the berry topping. I asked if it were just defrosted berries or if it had a lot of added sugar, and she said it just comes in a pail, with no ingredients label, but it she thinks it is a mix of berries. We didn't get the hot dog "off the broiler," that'll have to wait for next time.

We have the BBQ sandwich in Fairfax. I think the HD through the broiler is a great idea! I know that a couple of the Costcos have vending machines for sodas and water, all pretty cheap.

Maybe we should also talk about what get opened on the way home?

Edited by Haggis man (log)

Now I'm curious to know if the bake-it-yourself pizzas that they sell in the back of the store (near the world's best rotisserie chickens) are the same pizzas they make for the snack bar...anyone know?  I always look at those huge pies and think they're a great bargain ($7.99 for plain, iirc) and I could add my own toppings, but I've never purchased one.

The take and bake pizzas from the back of the store are not the same at all. For one thing they are square, and they are awful. The FOH pizza is pretty good for what you get here in Minnesota at a "chain" but the BOH stuff is completely different.

My kids like the FOH pizza, and it is a HUGE slice.

I almost always shop at Costco in the late morning, and have never had to wait behind more than two people in line. The samples really vary. Most of the heat and eat stuff is not my cup of tea, but I love it when they have samples of the deli salads, chips, seafood, meat items, etc. Just today, they were giving samples of bagels with cream cheese -- 1/4 of a bagel per sample! I'm lucky because Costco is only about 1/2 mile further than my local supermarket. Gas was $1.96 there today!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Iirc, my local Costco (Clifton) had Hebrew Natl dogs, then when HN had a shortage (can't remember why--fire at a plant, maybe?), they switched to Sinai, and noted it on the big sign.  I'm pretty sure they're back to HN now, but I rarely get a dog there b/c they're so damn limp.  Now that I know THE trick, I may have to give them a shot again!

Edit due to cross-post with Jason's pics--Jason, the Clifton one has the identical menu.

Now I'm curious to know if the bake-it-yourself pizzas that they sell in the back of the store (near the world's best rotisserie chickens) are the same pizzas they make for the snack bar...anyone know?  I always look at those huge pies and think they're a great bargain ($7.99 for plain, iirc) and I could add my own toppings, but I've never purchased one.

Jason's comment about the buns for the sausage sandwich reminded me that the buns for the hot dogs are steamed.  A legit reason to hate them, imho.  Bleah.

I am just commenting on a side note made. Their rotisserie chickens really are the best I have ever had. I bet they inject them with a costco size tub of butter. I think I ate like 3/4 of one the last time and then made soup with the carcass. Yum!And they are like 5 bucks!

" You soo tall, but you so skinny. I like you, you come home with me, I feed you!"- random japanese food worker.

I am just commenting on a side note made. Their rotisserie chickens really are the best I have ever had. I bet they inject them with a costco size tub of butter. I think I ate like 3/4 of one the last time and then made soup with the carcass. Yum!And they are like 5 bucks!

The ones sold in Japan suck! They're very popular with both Japanese and non-Japanese customers (judging by the number of chickens I see in people's carts) but to me, they have an odd flavour. And it definitely isn't butter they're using!