• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

17.11 pound ribeye roast...help!

firedogut

Bare naked.

You can salt, oil, pepper, chili, sun tan lotion or what you will the outside, but I don't think it makes any difference, and certainly doesn't penetrate the meat.

If you like to season, do it after the meat is cooked. Personally I sprinkle a little salt on each slice when I plate my plate, but I have a salty taste.

May need more thn 5 hours, or a slightly higher temperatur. Be guided by a themometer in the meat - aim for 130F/55C for very rare, or 5F higher for normally rare.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Sorry! I got distracted. First, a couple of pictures of the roast:

Starting out:

gallery_6080_2597_16265.jpg

gallery_6080_2597_28019.jpg

The finished roast

gallery_6080_2597_15387.jpg

Carved:

gallery_6080_2597_21571.jpg

This was a 10 lb roast. I put in on at 1:30 at 140F figuring we'd have dinner around 7:30. At 8:30 I finally had to turn the oven up. The roast at that point was still sitting at around 97F. By 9:15 we were able to pull the roast and sit down for dinner.

While the roast was nice and rare, I did not notice that it was appreciably more tender than when I use my normal method. The timing was way way off and I'm not really sure why.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.