• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montecristo 12 Year Old

This is a new rum from our friends at La Nacional of Guatemala, the same guys who are responsible for Ron Zacapa, Ron Botran and Ron Zaya.

I have heard that it is a lighter rum than Zacapa and is targeted as a mixer, not a sipping rum, and that it is supposed to go for around 40 a bottle. I guess the importance here is they have licensed the Montecristo name.

40 bucks for a mixer rum? I dunno. Botran is a 12 year old and costs not even half that here in Newark.. Maybe they figure people don't like to sip rum and would rather have mojitos with their fine cigars?

I think we need to try some of this stuff.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

From the President of Montecristo rum:

Jason,

Thank you for showing interest in Montecristo Rum. My names Tim

Haughinberry and I started the company about 3 years ago. I was formerly A Vice President at Consolidated Cigar, that's where I got the idea to license the name for Rum. I have always had a passion for Spirits and Wine and knew I wanted to create my own portfolio of premium spirits. Our first is Montecristo Rum. Montecristo Rum is a custom blend of products from

Guatemala. I see you are familiar with their products.

I would like to first say we are not yet available in New Jersey but hope to be soon. I took a peek at your website and noticed your comment on Montecristo Rum. The rum was created to be sipped and to be mixed. It is a blend of 12 year old and 23 year old barrel aged rum. I also added a little 7 year old solara, a process normally used in sherries and Brandy but also done for rum in Guatemala. This little solara brought the nose up to a crisper, fresher vanilla aroma. The twelve year old is the base, its amazing the 23 year old adds the weight, texture and balance to the palate. Imagine sipping Botron 12 but having the long lasting finish of zacapa 23. A perfect balance. I am sure you will see what it is we tried to achieve. The thought behind this product was simple. Many people drink rum but they drink it mixed. Others launch new rums and market it towards cigar smokers, Our products name lends us to that forum.

The product sales for 29.99 in most states retail. I have only seen it over 30.00 in New York. The price for a blended rum of 12 and 23 year old is actually quite reasonable. Although Botron cost less it is not comparable side to side. I am a huge fan of there products and was very happy to create the relationship. I am currently in New York and we launch Chicago later this week.

I'll let you guys know how this rum tastes as soon as I try it.. Sounds like it has a lot of potential.

Montecristo Rum Web Site (CLICK)

Montecristo Rum Media Kit (CLICK)

mcrumbottle.jpg

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I got my bottle of Montecristo 12 yesterday -- wow.

This is definitely a much nicer rum than I expected it to be. You would think that licensing a name like Montecristo would yeild a product that was more focused on the marketing than the actual quality of the rum -- in this case, thats just not so.

The rum has a very nice amber color, and wonderful mouthfeel, although not as "thick" as its cousin Ron Zacapa, it has much of the same flavor elements -- the "honey nectar" type flavor really rings through in the taste as well as on the nose. I am not sure I personally would use this nice a rum in a mixed drink, but its an excellent sipping rum.

Tasted side by side with Ron Zacapa and Ron Botran, I'd have to say that the flavor is somewhat between both of those -- with the mouthfeel and general consistency closer to the Zacapa but not as syrupy -- probably closer to a French Rhum like Kaniche Martinique or the other Gabriel & Andreu "Plantation" vintage rums. It has a long finish like Zacapa does. I found that the flavor was brought out better by having it with a small ice cube than having it neat, although I can see having it neat, warmed, during the winter with a nice cigar. I can definitely see pulling this bottle out more frequently than the Zacapa.

If you can find the rum at its suggested price of $30 or so, its a definite buy. I think with the name they licensed, its going to get a lot of exposure and hopefully we'll start seeing people drink more aged rums here in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Penthouse's World's Most Sensuous Cocktail Contest in Las Vegas and had my first chance to taste Montecristo Rum.

Despite what you read from the marketing people they were serving this rum mixed with fresh watermelon, raspberries, strawberries and sour mix over ice.

The idea, as I was told, is that a lot of women don't like to drink rum straight. Well if your woman doesn't enjoy a good rum straight, it's time to find another woman.

Jason is right this is good rum, it enjoyed it straight A LOT more than in the foo foo drinks that were served at the Coyote Ugly bar. I am surprised that Montecristo is touting it as a 12 year old rum even though it is a blend of some younger rums. The age controversy will continue long after we go to sleep and I don't really care to me what is important is that I like the rum and I do like it. $30 a bottle may be a little stiff but I'm spoiled in the islands where good rum is a lot cheaper than in the states and I usually bring almost as much as I'm going to drink with me.

If you haven't tried this one, don't miss it, but do yourself a favor and skip the mixer.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Yeah, I can't bring myself to mix it Ed. I told Tim privately maybe they should consider doing a real mixer rum as well instead of using the "good stuff" as a mixer.

I could see making a really hedonistic stinger out if it given its brandy-like qualities, however.

The idea, as I was told, is that a lot of women don't like to drink rum straight. Well if your woman doesn't enjoy a good rum straight, it's time to find another woman.

Heh. I might make an exception for a Penthouse Pet though.