• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rare

Chef Fowke

Nice report. If you don't like the steelhead caviar, just tell them to leave it off and I'll be by to pick it up later!

What was that dish that looks bacon-and-egglike? I think there's a caption missing.

you are right, I cannot wait until spring and Ruth is supplying her micro leaves.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Lovely plating, indeed.  I especially like the (over)use of chervil.  I wish this was more readily available, as it is one of my favourite herbs to use as a garnish.

-- Matt.

If you need some chervil, call Brian, he has lots..............he loves the stuff!

$22/lb if I remember correctly......

• 2 weeks later...
:wub:  Can we get a sneak peek at the anticipated Valentine's menu?

A his and hers tasting menu...

9 courses

One seating, the table is yours for the night.

The rest of the week we will be running the Valentine's menu as a choice of 4, 6 or 9 courses.

The rest is a surprise for the guests to discover on the special day.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

:wub:  Can we get a sneak peek at the anticipated Valentine's menu?

A his and hers tasting menu...

9 courses

One seating, the table is yours for the night.

The rest of the week we will be running the Valentine's menu as a choice of 4, 6 or 9 courses.

The rest is a surprise for the guests to discover on the special day.

That sounds incredibly sumptuous! Thanks for sharing.

Saturday night my friend put me in charge of planning her brithday dinner, so of course I could not pass up another opportunity to visit Rare. The service was curtious and patience even with the brithday girl being almost two hours late for dinner.

Everything was wonderful; I wish I had the patience to souvie items at home. A few dishes that really stood out were the Baja scallops, Berkshire pork tenderloin, and Beef tenderloin, the black truffle base, red wine foam... I probably should stop befor I list the whole menu because everything was amazing, there was only one item that either a hit or miss and that was our intense liquid ceasar salad amuse bouche.

gallery_38570_2980_32378.jpg

gallery_38570_2980_128174.jpg

gallery_38570_2980_77175.jpg

gallery_38570_2980_81495.jpg

gallery_38570_2980_29026.jpg

gallery_38570_2980_86022.jpg

gallery_38570_2980_56694.jpg

gallery_38570_2980_65972.jpg

gallery_38570_2980_101503.jpg

gallery_38570_2980_86037.jpg

gallery_38570_2980_31147.jpg

Not pictures was our dq ice cream cake, a perfect addition to any meal. :smile:

Thank you everyone at Rare for another amazing evening, I'll be back and others at the party said the same thing.

Thanks

D90

*I Just noticed tonight that my camera has been on 2mp for the last couple weeks :huh: I hope the pictures do Chef Fowke creations justice.

Edited by D90 (log)

YUMMMMMNNNN!

Too bad you didn't have the Rare kitchen make the birthday cake - they do some excellent work in that regard! Your pictures, and knowing the service and quality at Rare make my mouth water. I'd like a cash infusion so that I can go as often as you do.

Also the Valentine's dinner sounds amazing, good idea chef Fowke (and crew)! Way to make Valentine's fun and different. I'm planning my next Rare event with food lovers only - last time we had heavy drinking table-mates that didn't enhance my evening.

I probably should stop befor I list the whole menu because everything was amazing, there was only one item that either a hit or miss and that was our intense liquid ceasar salad amuse bouche.   

gallery_38570_2980_32378.jpg

That was a miss with our table as well, when we were there for Dine Out on Thursday. It might have been the lighting, but I think our "leaf juice" was not as brilliantly green as yours. It could have also been the type of lettuce that was used - I think ours had romaine in it, as it was slightly bitter.

I liked the chili & lime shooter better, although I didn't down it like a shooter. It was comprised of a chili lime foam with lip-puckering lime juice. My friend aptly compared it to those super lemon Japanese candies that were popular for a while in the early 90s.

WOW, that smoked steelhead caviar was amazing! Those smoky salty bursts married perfectly with the cauliflower soup. :wub:

SushiCat: Good idea about the cake, the dessert chef mentioned it to me later that night; I wish I had thought about it earlier. I originally was planning on making a cake but due to a large flood at my house I wasn’t able to (We are going to have to live in a hotel for a month or two).

chocomoo: Ours used romaine lettuce as well, It tasting like I was shooting a glass of Caesar dressing. My first visit I found the saltiness of the steelhead caviar too over powering but this time it worked, I think the trick is getting a couple balls in each bite.

chocomoo: Ours used romaine lettuce as well, It tasting like I was shooting a glass of Caesar dressing.  My first visit I found the saltiness of the steelhead caviar too over powering but this time it worked, I think the trick is getting a couple balls in each bite.

I completely agree about the shooter. I think if it were more soup-like (either thicker or, thinner like a consommé) and less oily, I would have liked it more.

I also found that a couple balls of the caviar with each bite was perfect.

My first visit I found the saltiness of the steelhead caviar too over powering but this time it worked, I think the trick is getting a couple balls in each bite.

Are you saying you ate all the caviar in one bite the other time you had the soup...?! No wonder you thought it was overpowering! :wink:

My first visit I found the saltiness of the steelhead caviar too over powering but this time it worked, I think the trick is getting a couple balls in each bite.

Are you saying you ate all the caviar in one bite the other time you had the soup...?! No wonder you thought it was overpowering! :wink:

Personally, I find it hard not getting all of those salty balls in my mouth at once.

Edited by eatvancouver (log)

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

• 2 weeks later...

Chef Colleen McClean, former Chef de Cuisine at Feenie's.

Whoops... typo.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Whoops... typo.

She is a great addition to Rare, we are very pleased to have her onboard.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

Whoops... typo.

Good for Colleen! After going through the ringer with Ken Bogas, Cafe de Paris and I can only imagine at Feenies this looks like a good fit for her.

Whoops... typo.

Good for Colleen! After going through the ringer with Ken Bogas, Cafe de Paris and I can only imagine at Feenies this looks like a good fit for her.

An talk about her having a new found freedom of expression...................rumour has it she came out of the kitchen to lay a beating on Kolacy Keith ( Ktbear ) the other night when he got a little "chirpy" after a few drinks.

Some people, when given enough rope, manage to hang themselves.........not Colleen, she makes a " Cat 'o nine tails" and beats down unruly guests! :laugh:

A great addition the the "Rare" team.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I heard it was over which was the better Kolachy, the chicken club or the reuben.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

• 5 months later...

Whoops... typo.

After eating at Rare on Saturday night this past weekend, I wanted to check this thread to see what others have been saying ... clearly Ms McClean is a good fit as predicted by eatrustic.

Our out of town guests had just been to a number of Vancouver spots, also some island eats including Fairburn Farms and spots on Saltspring - this was their end the vacation with a blast meal and it was that for me too - a BLAST! Excellent cooking, clean flavours and totally inventive dishes. Go for the chef's menu! Or try that cumin crusted tuna with the caper raisin sauce or have the duck - they do duck right! An element that really sets them apart are things like a blueberry shooter to cleanse your palate, a pre-dessert that incorporates Swiss Chard, and is delicious, plates that are comprised of all elements of food, e.g. all the food groups on one plate.

Rare is truly a gem!

Our thanks to the team for making our evening so memorable !

After eating at Rare on Saturday night this past weekend, I wanted to check this thread to see what others have been saying ... clearly Ms McClean is a good fit as predicted by eatrustic.  

Our out of town guests had just been to a number of Vancouver spots, also some island eats including Fairburn Farms and spots on Saltspring - this was their end the vacation with a blast meal and it was that for me too - a BLAST!   Excellent cooking, clean flavours and totally inventive dishes.   Go for the chef's menu!   Or try that cumin crusted tuna with the caper raisin sauce or have the duck - they do duck right!   An element that really sets them apart are things like a blueberry shooter to cleanse your palate, a pre-dessert that incorporates Swiss Chard, and is delicious, plates that are comprised of all elements of food, e.g. all the food groups on one plate. 

Rare is truly a gem!

Our thanks to the team for making our evening so memorable !

I would like to echo Sushicat's comments. Chef Colleen's cooking is outstanding-- well-balanced and very grounded. We loved the chef's tasting menu too--every bite. The light was low for my SLR, but here's a picture of the foie gras terrine. (There's a big fat succulent cherry under the terrine.) Paired with the sauterne, it is divine.

gallery_29428_5031_6333.jpeg

gallery_29428_5031_39265.jpeg

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West