• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rare

Chef Fowke

Zuke, I'll save booking that snapshot for the Rare Two party on March 1st, 2007! In echo, break a leg, boys, and in the words of Flavour Flav, "show 'em whatcha got." It's been a long time coming, and I wish you the best on all fronts.

I'm really disappointed I couldn't make it to the eG "Opening Soon" dinner. Great pics. I always have a wonderful time breaking bread with you lot, and if it wasn't for my pesky job as a waiter I would have volunteered to be Ling's "spotter" (she could have fallen in those heels, you know). :wink:

BTW, what did you think of the opening soon blog? Worthwhile to do it again if asked?

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Press Release:

RARE one restaurant

Open Tuesday through Saturday from 5:00pm - 11:00pm

1355 Hornby Street

Vancouver, BC V6Z 1W7

604-669-1256

www.rarevancouver.com

A new restaurant concept by Executive Chef/Proprietor Brian Fowke and Restaurant Director /Proprietor Tim Keller.

Why they opened Rare, well that’s another story…Their philosophy, “we take our food seriously, but not ourselves”.

Rare is about rare wines, rare cooking techniques and rare cuts of steak, fish, oysters and seafood. Rare is about tasting something in its rawest form, uncluttered and untouched, then tasting it again with the touch of a master chef.

Rare is about searching for sustainable and wild stocks, local and regional ingredients and sometimes taking the domestic and turning it into a rare gem.

Rare is about letting you make the choice about how you eat. Menu items are available in half portions, priced at half price. The upper portion of the restaurant offers oysters and prime grade striploin by the ounce, bar items, small tasters and more casual dining. Summers will see a small urban courtyard patio. The dining room has the best chairs in the city…

Rare is about warm welcoming staff, passionate chefs, a comfortable atmosphere.

An elegant, small dining room. Greys, creams, earth tones. Riedel glassware, diffused light and whimsical art.

Rare has been running soft openings for the past 10 days including an “Opening Soon” dinner for e-gullet members, a fundraising dinner for the Children’s Heart Fund, an evening with suppliers and a friends and family night.

Rare is open 5 nights a week. Same kitchen team, same front of house team every night.

Rare is now open to the public - (Wednesday, March 1st, 2006)

RARE one restaurant

Open Tuesday through Saturday from 5:00pm - 11:00pm

1355 Hornby Street (between Pacific and Drake)

Downtown False Creek, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1W7

604-669-1256 – Valet parking in effect every night

www.rarevancouver.com Advance reservations by www.opentable.com

Restaurant Director Tim Keller tim@rarevancouver.com

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

Fantastic dinner Wednesday night (more details to follow in the next day or so)… However, I'll just say:

Cauliflower Soup (with): ~ lobster salad ~ smoked steelhead caviar ~ truffle oil... oh my! That steelhead caviar… holy f*@k…. :wub: what a revelation.

Paired nicely with the Grant Burge Chardonnay. I'm guessing it was a 2003/ 04, I'm sure someone will chime in to confirm.

Big ups to our favourite gal for organizing; Chef Fowke and Chef Dang (along with the rest of the brigade) for cooking; Monsieur Keller for wine pairing and, last (but certainly not least!) our exceptionally gracious server (whose name I did not catch, unfortunately) for outstanding, and witty service.

All in all…a magnificent opening night!

I’m sure that Rare will spark in this location. It will be the restaurant that finally conjures the essentials of magic required to bring all the elemental forces together: location (previously nebulous, now napped in a subtle sophistication), food and wine (sublime), service (gracious without being intrusive). Lick that… and you might just as well bet the farm. :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Fantastic dinner Wednesday night (more details to follow in the next day or so)… However, I'll just say:

Cauliflower Soup (with): ~ lobster salad ~ smoked steelhead caviar ~ truffle oil... oh my! That steelhead caviar… holy f*@k….  :wub: what a revelation.

Paired nicely with the Grant Burge Chardonnay. I'm guessing it was a 2003/ 04, I'm sure someone will chime in to confirm.

Big ups to our favourite gal for organizing; Chef Fowke and Chef Dang (along with the rest of the brigade) for cooking; Monsieur Keller for wine pairing and, last (but certainly not least!) our exceptionally gracious server (whose name I did not catch, unfortunately) for outstanding, and witty service.

All in all…a magnificent opening night!

I’m sure that Rare will spark in this location.  It will be the restaurant that finally conjures the essentials of magic required to bring all the elemental forces together: location (previously nebulous, now napped in a subtle sophistication), food and wine (sublime), service (gracious without being intrusive).  Lick that… and you might just as well bet the farm.  :biggrin:

The Grant Burge was the un-oaked 2004 and your server was Chris. It was great having you all in and thank you for making our first night so much fun. I hope to see you soon. Cheers.

Tim

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

^ Thanks for filling in the missing details Tim..... w.o.e are we still awake at this time?

Never mind....

Looking forward to more outstanding meals..... the bar has been set :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Yup, loved the mussels that I had; service was great- obviously a great deal of care has been lavished on every detail.

I will have to go back and have a more relaxed meal- sadly I had child care issues and had to cut and run, but really like the room and look forward to coming back and sitting in the servery.

Break a leg, Brian et al!

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I am still on a high from the meal we had last night. This is exactly the kind of restaurant Vancouver needs--our meal was a treasure trove of refined sensory delights. I will make multiple posts as the photos and menu descriptions come rolling in.

Last night was the first time I'd ever wished I'd become a nun. That way, I could have whipped my wimple up over my face and plate just to intensify the scents that were rising from the plates and bowls. The play of flavor and texture made every bite a revelation of new sensory combinations.

Do I dare say it surpassed my penultimate dining experience at Lumiere?

The memory of the smoked sablefish, the blood orange selzer, the steelhead caviar are all very fresh in my mind this morning. The panacotta magically turned into whipped cream which was orange and floral (orange blossom honey and Tahitian Vanilla) was hauntingly beautiful.

I can't wait for the next visit, but please put something chocolate in there--I'm very excited to see what you do with it. (I know it's not a local ingredient, but Sister Zucchini will absolve you for using it).

Thank you for giving us the extra space to be loud and lascivious. I apologize for any rude comments or gestures my dining companions may have displayed. I did enjoy the burlesque performance by Mr. Kolachy Keith at the end of the evening. However, I think I'll keep those photos off the internet, as they may frighten the children.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I'll add my cheers to Chef Fowke, Quang, Tim, Chris and the rest of the crew. Food was really excellent; standout for me was the salmon (I can't remember the exact details, perhaps Moosh or Chef can fill them in) cooked ceviche style on one side and seared "conventionally" on the skin side. Skin ended up perfectly crisp, and the fish medium inside. Plated (or bowled?) perfectly with that fennel broth, it really was an excellent marriage of flavours and an inspired dish.

Also loved the blood orange "seltzer" palate cleanser. Zuke mentioned the sablefish, which was like eating bacon with the texture of fish it was so smokey; Sarah the cauliflower soup and lobster salad, both well done in their own right but perhaps overshadowed (in a good way) by the roe and the truffle oil. Rabit liver pate and pheasant rilette with brioche (and kumquat!), luxurious. Mushroom ravioli, too, would have been a standout on any other night but in this order it was yet another hit in a parade of them. And who could forget that stanky Spanish blue? Smells of feet, tastes of heaven. Agreed Zuke, it was a night of aromas as much as flavours.

No one has mentioned the Pinot, which was not only an excellent glass but also an excellent pair for so many of the courses.

Tim your crew did very well considering the challenges of opening night, and the fact that we were playing musical chairs, and that we crammed ourselves onto the one table.

Will return for, amongst other things, suckling pig, scampi, and those mussels.

ETA: Oh yeah and where else can you run into such an orchard of eGullet royalty - Kolachy Keith, the Master Chef Wyles... Us (just kidding).

Edited by BCinBC (log)

Last night was the first time I'd ever wished I'd become a nun. That way, I could have whipped my wimple up over my face . . .

May we come over and watch you whip your wimple?

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Details on the next Rare dining event (the B.C. Indigenous Dinner) on March 12th can now be viewed here:

http://www.edible-britishcolumbia.com/even...ousBCDinner.pdf

Cheers,

Eric

Unless the history books have been rewritten - the suggested menu items do not reflect an indigenous BC dinner, but rather a regional one. :unsure:

While sablefish and salmon are indigenous to BC - chicken, goat and lamb were introduced from Europe.

Still, it's an excellent and noteworthy dinner concept.

Best,

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I can't wait for the next visit, but please put something chocolate in there--I'm very excited to see what you do with it. (I know it's not a local ingredient, but Sister Zucchini will absolve you for using it).

I'm going to drop in with a taste of something chocolate-y for the staff tonight (pictured here)...what sort of chocolate desserts do you think would fit with the menu at Rare? :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

I'm going to drop in with a taste of something chocolate-y for the staff tonight (pictured here)...what sort of chocolate desserts do you think would fit with the menu at Rare? :smile:

I am sure Chef Brian would appreciate any desserts you dropped off. Let him know which ones are for eating and which ones are for selling.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Last night was the first time I'd ever wished I'd become a nun. That way, I could have whipped my wimple up over my face . . .

May we come over and watch you whip your wimple?

Yes of course, you may wimple whip watch, provided you obey the guidelines laid out by in the ten page whipping wimple watching warning document, published last year, by the caramelite nuns, purveyors of celestial confections. Note especially, page nine, appendix B, which states that the wimple whipping watcher must remain four feet from said wimple, ten feet in the event of a Pineapple Express. Failure to comply to these guidelines, may cause personal injury. (I can tell you from personal experience, it is tedious to remove a gentleman's nose which has become lodged in one's wimple, requiring much time and effort and some hideous looking tools which would make even Mr. Cronenberg blanch.)

But I digress...the salmon was divine. Yes, as BCinBC said, the salmon with fennel broth was another highlight of the tasting menu-brilliant to have the skin so crispy on one side and the gravlax treatment on the other, cooking the salmon on one side just to the point where it met the gravlax. I thought I overheard Chef Fowke say they used fennel pollen in the broth, which gave it a rich, aromatic depth.

As for chocolate--I leave it to the pros to come up with something that satisfies my deepest darkest cravings, leaving stains on my habit, that no earthly cleanser could remove.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Lovely hedgehog mushroom ravioli with truffle foam; startling and delicious blood orange seltzer; those little truffly baked cracker things (WHOA!), and the squab, maestro, the squab...still rosy within, crispy skin, with a verjus, served with roasted fennel. Oh, and also served with some squab confit with dates...unbelievably good. Really.

Just wonderful. I also tasted some of the pheasant rillette and the rabbit pâté, very nicely done indeed.

(Most of the others had the tasting menu with paired wines; in between packing and moving and unpacking, I have been eating up such a storm of late that I thought I would do better with a bit less food. I did, however, treat myself to a Brunello di Montalcino that opened up beautifully. Oh, and started with a Sazerac, a very nice, not sweet but not wicked strong cocktail, indeed.)

I look forward to trying Rare again; I will likely wait until there is dessert on the menu :wink:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I currently have the following desserts offered:

• Panni cotti foam with caramelized hazelnuts and warm chocolate frappe

• Deconstructed Guinness float

• Chocolate Terrine (a terrine made with dark chocolate, ganache and chocolate cake crumb)

• Absinthe and blood orange soufflé (30 minutes and $21 ~ packs a wallop! Pre-order with reservation)

• Un-pasteurized cheeses with cumquat preserve

• Starting Tuesday ~ lemon torte (because Marc Theut says; ‘you can tell a great restaurant by its lemon torte’).

I cannot wait for the spring/summer when I have local berries and fruits to work with.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

• Starting Tuesday ~ lemon torte (because Marc Theut says; ‘you can tell a great restaurant by its lemon torte’).

Apparently, lemon tarts are one of the standards by which pastry chefs are judged! :smile: I adore lemon tarts!

Dropped by Rare tonight and Chef Fowke is letting me come up with a dessert for Saturday. (I am so excited; I don't know how I'll be able to sleep tonight!!! :biggrin: ) Any suggestions? We talked about profiteroles on Saturday, so perhaps we could do those...I was thinking a profiterole sampler with one each of the following:

-espresso chibouste, Valrhona mousse, hazelnut cream

or

-coconut cream, Key lime curd (or Meyer lemon), dark rum cream

or

-Valrhona mousse, pear chibouste, pistachio cream

or Vietnamese cinnamon + Valrhona + cayenne

or a triple lemon one--lemon/basil, lemon/cardamon, lemon/thyme

or ginger, lychee, matcha

or...well, I can think of a million flavour combinations. :wink:

or we could reinterpret Keller's "Coffee and doughnuts" by doing espresso pots de creme with mini pain au chocolat. Or instead of the pain au chocolat, we could do blueberry/marscapone-stuffed brioche, with creme anglaise.

For the chocolate side, I have many favourite recipes. I adore Pierre Herme's Tarte Grenobloise. There are a bunch of amazing recipes in his Chocolate Desserts book that I would love to put on the dessert menu, like the chocolate and port-steeped fig tart, chocolate crepes (perhaps filled with a chocolate marscapone cream), chocolate semifreddo with coconut dacquoise, a chocolate version of the gateau saint-honore, dark chocolate-filled mille feuille, and so on. :wub:

I love caramelized, boozy bananas too, so maybe we could do a rum-banana Valrhona tart.

I also love dark chocolate, caramel and fleur de sel...especially with macadamia or cashews.

You know what else would be cool--if we did an adult version of a childhood treat, like s'mores. We could do a full-on chocolate version too, with in-house made chocolate graham cookies, a thick layer of Valrhona ganache, and in-house made chocolate marshmallow.

Anyway, sorry for being so long-winded! I'm open to any suggestions, with the restrictions that it must be completed in, say 2-3 hours (therefore nothing like cheesecake or crepes, which need resting time.)

And if you'd like to see something on the menu that takes a little more time, please don't hesitate to suggest it and I'll do it soon, when I have more time! (I had a really busy week.)

So for anyone who's coming in on Saturday, you MUST order dessert, even if it kills you or if you have to share it--or else suffer my wrath! :raz:

ETA: I should re-phrase what I posted earlier--I'll do whatever the Chef would like to see on the menu. But I'll forward your suggestions to him. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

I currently have the following desserts offered:

• Panni cotti foam with caramelized hazelnuts and warm chocolate frappe

• Deconstructed Guinness float

• Chocolate Terrine (a terrine made with dark chocolate, ganache and chocolate cake crumb)

• Absinthe and blood orange soufflé (30 minutes and $21 ~ packs a wallop! Pre-order with reservation)

• Un-pasteurized cheeses with cumquat preserve

I cannot wait for the spring/summer when I have local berries and fruits to work with.

Oooooh, and of course I had the foam and hazelnut (really delicious and invites lascivious displays whilst eating to boot) ;)

Sorry, Brian, I hadn't seen an actual dessert menu, and wasn't aware of the other dishes! Your kumquats are pretty special though, and I enjoyed the cheeses I tasted (I never think of cheese as dessert :wacko:). The terrine will be my next dessert, I think.

I cannot wait to see what you do with local berries and fruits, either :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Dropped by Rare tonight and Chef Fowke is letting me come up with a dessert for Saturday. (I am so excited; I don't know how I'll be able to sleep tonight!!! :biggrin: )

So for anyone who's coming in on Saturday, you MUST order dessert, even if it kills you or if you have to share it--or else suffer my wrath! :raz:

ETA: I should re-phrase what I posted earlier--I'll do whatever the Chef would like to see on the menu. But I'll forward your suggestions to him. :smile:

Done and done. I've made my reservations for Saturday night and will be checking out Rare for the first time with my wife and friends. I'll be the guy ordering the "heaviest desert on the menu" without the raspberry coulis.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

Lo and behold, here’s a collection of photos from our Tasting Dinner on Rare’s Opening Night.

Sazerac.jpgMojito.jpg

Sazerac & Mojito

Just two of many, many pre-dinner cocktails consumed at our table.

Brian.jpgAmuses.jpg

Chef Brian... Master of His Domain :wink:

Amuses-bouches: Scallop Tartare, Oregon hedgehog (?) mushrooms and black-truffle-filled crisps with a drizzle of balsamic reduction

Lobster1.jpgLobster2.jpg

Lobster Salad with Smoked Steelhead Caviar / Addition of Cauliflower Soup infused with White Truffle Oil

Wine Pairing: Grant Burge 2004 Unoaked Chardonnay

Damn, this was an outstanding dish. BCinBC, I know you felt that the roe overpowered the delicate soup, but I really enjoyed the smoky flavour counterpoint.

Ravioli.jpgRillette.jpg

Hedgehog Mushroom Ravioli topped with truffle foam and served with a Rosso wine reduction

Pheasant Confit and Rabbit Liver Pâté served with brioche, pickled mushroom and kumquat

Wine Pairing: Stoneleigh Marlborough Pinot Noir (2003 or 2004?)

The rabbit pâté was a little too rich for my palate, but my tastebuds were rejoicing over the rillette was excellent. And the Stoneleigh Pinot Noir was outstanding.

Seltzer.jpgSalmon.jpg

Blood Orange Seltzer

Wild Spring Salmon, cooked unilaterally and served with hedgehog mushrooms in a fennel broth

Wine Pairing: the rest of our Grant Burge 2004 Unoaked Chardonnay

The salmon dish was nothing short of stellar. As I savoured my first bite, I swore that the heavens opened and a choir of angels began singing. I'd go back for this dish alone. Perfectly crisped skin, sweet and rare in the centre, accompanied by an elegant, subtle broth. Genius, sheer genius.

Sablefish.jpgBrittle.jpg

Smoked Sablefish, milk poached and served with Quadra Island clams and fiddlehead ragout

Wine Pairing: the rest of our Stoneleigh Marlborough Pinot Noir

Panni cotti foam with Caramelized Hazelnuts

Cheese.jpgQuang.jpg

Rare Cheeses served with olive crostini, walnuts, kumquats and a drizzle of balsamic reduction

Chef Quang reviewing the cheese selection: Queso de Cabra al Vino, Idiazabal, Manchego, Valdeon Blue, Portugese Semi-soft, Artisanal French Camembert

Brian, Tim, Quang and the rest of the Rare One crew: thank you for your graciousness and allowing us to share in the excitement of your Opening Night. Wishing you many more successful evenings to come!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Nice photos Moosh. Check out how into the cheese Quang is, it's so great to see. And very seriously, anyone who likes blue cheese should go and try that Valdeon blue. (Edit to add: I'm thinking of you Paul B, epoisse brother!) (And it's not quite as stinky as epoisse, nor as strong, but it is very very good.)

About the soup, I have been thinking about it on and off for the past couple days. I should clarify that I did like the additions of both the roe and the truffle oil: The truffle oil of course gave off its unmistakable aroma and the roe offered that occasional burst of salt. No quibbles with the components of the dish at all. What I have been thinking about is the presentation. I'm guessing it was because of the lobster salad that the bowl wasn't heated before serving, but then when poured, the soup kind of lost some of its heat too. So maybe in the end it was a bit too cool to stand up to the truffle oil and roe as it should and could have. I dunno, I am no chef, just a diner enjoying the food and I'm sure Chef Brian et al will be tweaking things as they go along and they will figure it all out for our benefit. (Or possibly I'm an over-analysing boob and am just posting verbal di.)

Continuing on... I've also been thinking about the salmon - no lie, it was the best salmon dish I've had in years. Don't know how y'all feel, but personally I have grown a bit tired of salmon. Not that it's not a great fish, it's just old hat. But the Rare preparation was definitely new (to me), and I loved it. Re-awakening.

Anyway, I know it sounds like we are gushing over the salmon so insert disclaimer Your Mileage May Vary and go and check it out for yourselves.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

Done and done.  I've made my reservations for Saturday night and will be checking out Rare for the first time with my wife and friends.  I'll be the guy ordering the "heaviest desert on the menu" without the raspberry coulis.

Wow, I'm nervous! I'll have to peek in the dining room to see if I can figure out who you are. :smile: