• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rare

Chef Fowke

Rare Restaurant is online and taking reservations through Opentable.com...

The first reservation was made this morning by Kontemporary for two at 7:30 for the opening day!

Thanks, eGullet for your support!

We are launching the menu with three distinct sections; a signature section, a seasonal section and a daily section...each section having three catagories; small, medium and entree:

What items do Vancouver eGulleters expect to see on the daily menu over the next 45 - 60 days.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I just took a look at the Seasonal Menu for March and it looks great! Lots of interesting items.

I am unfamiliar with "Verhona" chocolate...do you mean "Valrhona"? If so, can't wait to try that dessert...mmm!  :wub:

...and changed!

(note to self: have Ling test all food AND proof read the menu)

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Shelora - old Bis Mereno location.

Dude - I've been driving by the joint and stalking it like John Hinckley and you open when I am out of town? Ugh - what have done to deserve this?

Anyways - I am very excited about this opening and cannot wait to check it out. The place looks good, the menu is very appealing, and beer is free.

Here's some links

http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx...&hpu=1267503956

http://www.rarevancouver.com/

http://www.rare.inknoise.com/rare

First Seasonal Menu

We have been selected to host the Antinori wines for the Vancouver Wine Festival.Here is a preview of the menu we will be running for the month of March as the seasonal menu (sorry…the graphics did not transfer well).

March

Wine Festival 2006

Pâté ○ rabbit liver, pheasant confit ○ $7

brioche baked ○ verjus ○ blood orange

Pomegranate Seltzer ○ $6

Frog Leg ○ buttermilk fricassee ○ $9

Sautéed ○ thyme beignet ○ sorrel puree

Campogrande Orvieto Classico ○ $7

Scallop ○ raw on the 1/2 shell ○ $12

crushed ice ○ smoked lemon oil ○ kelp salad

Castello della Sala Chardonnay ○ $12

Ravioli ○ hedgehog mushroom ○ $9

truffle & goat’s milk foam ○ Rosso jelly

Villa Antinori Toscana Rosso ○ $10

Beef Cheek ○ marrow studded ○ $21

flat-iron roasted ○ trotters ○ braised leek

Peppoli Chianti Classico ○ $ 13

Sabayon ○ Valrhona chocolate ○ $9

vanilla poached pear ○ caramelized hazelnuts

Hazelnut Frappe ○ $6

This menu is also being offered as a tasting menu

(wines subject to change)

Edited by waylman (log)

Hee hee. The doorbell song on the main page!!!

I simply must go to a place that:

1. Shows off their chef ware in a hardcore toolbox

2. Serves beef cheeks!

I don't mind the stool in kitchen thing. That's cool!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Shelora - old Bis Mereno location.

Dude - I've been driving by the joint and stalking it like John Hinckley and you open when I am out of town?  Ugh - what have done to deserve this?

Anyways - I am very excited about this opening and cannot wait to check it out.  The place looks good, the menu is very appealing, and beer is free.

PM me...we have a few openings 'pre-opening' still available.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

To confirm the earlier comments...Neil is bringing free beer to Rare? Nice.

Edited by TimK (log)

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

Is that pate made with rabbit liver and pheasant confit, or are those two separate items?

I love that you have marrow, trotters and beef cheeks on the menu!

To get back to your earlier question, I would love to see a lot of game dishes on the menu (or perhaps you have this already?) Venison, elk, caribou...mmm. I also love tendon and tripe dishes, but I wonder if that would be appealing to your niche.

Is that pate made with rabbit liver and pheasant confit, or are those two separate items?

I love that you have marrow, trotters and beef cheeks on the menu!

To get back to your earlier question, I would love to see a lot of game dishes on the menu (or perhaps you have this already?) Venison, elk, caribou...mmm. I also love tendon and tripe dishes, but I wonder if that would be appealing to your niche.

It all fits, but I need to be able to find a local supplier ~ cooking globally using the product in my backyard ~ I am going to head up to the Okanagan to meet with a few new farmers/ranchers. Caribou will definately make an appearance on the menu as will Elk, as soon as I can find unmedicated herds, but that is a different thread.

My favourite beef is from Blue Goose, but I have had a lot of feedback that it is too gamey. I hear that the rancher has started to use organic barley to finish it...that will soften the flavour.

As for the tendon, you will have to show me.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

As for the tendon, you will have to show me.

As Ling noted, it is available at many Chinese restaurants. For a nice example of it, head over to Ho Yuen Kee on Fraser street and order their beef tendon on rice plate for lunch some day. That is the best version I have found in Vancouver.

You can also find it at almost every Vietnamese restaurant as one of the choices to be added to your Pho. It pairs quite well with the chili and lime from the pho.

Looks like a good menu! I'm looking forward to your opening!

Cheers!

Oysters would make me particularly happy - all BC please. I would love to see a steady supply of Brent Petkau's courtesans. As I am voicing elsewhere BC oysters will indeed be VERY RARE unless we start supporting our local farmers and get eating the little treasures.

Gastronomista

Good luck,

Funny comment about Blue Goose Beef being too gamey tho' it would be a shame if they tempered the FLAVOUR to appease people who dont appreciate it. You can find great heritage breed pigs around the province & you can do what Oyama does & purchase local/organic hazelnuts & feed them to the piggies, however the flavour may need softening :wink: It seems that a number of restaurants are using cuts other than tenderloin which is great because like Beef it is the least flavouful cut.

Exciting!

Rare One is now on my list (which is getting kinda long). I think I average adding 2 places every time I tick one off.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Exciting!

Rare One is now on my list (which is getting kinda long).  I think I average adding 2 places every time I tick one off.

You tick off a lot of places do you fud? :hmmm:

I just hope Brian doesn't kill the banquette contractor before it gets finished. There was seious tension when I was there Tueday! :rolleyes:

A.