• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Red Velvet Cake

harlanturk

Does anyone know a good place in NYC (or Brooklyn) for RED VELVET CAKE?

Need a suggestion ASAP (for Valentine's Day),

as Mary on Jane's supposedly closed.

THANKS!

Sylvia's Restaurant

328 Lenox Avenue

New York, New York 10027

ph: 212.996.0660

I haven't been there in a little under a year though.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

Thanks, but I forgot to mention that it has to be closer to the Soho, E/W Village, Meat Packing, maybe Lower East Side area. (Particullarly on the F Train).

I've been wanting to go to Sylvia's for a while.

Love her spices, but don't know much about the restaurant.

What dishes are best?

Michael Harlan Turkell, PHOTOGRAPHER

"BACK OF THE HOUSE" Project, www.harlanturk.com , PLOG: harlanturk.blogspot.com

Well, there's always Magnolia Bakery on Bleecker - their red velvet cake is supposed to be pretty good, and you can get either a slice or a cupcake. You can also order a whole cake if you call a day or two ahead.

Then you've got its rival/offshoot, Buttercup Bakeshop, but that's up in the East 50's. However, they will deliver to businesses...

Another great spot for this on the East Side (also uptown, though - 88th and 2nd, to be exact) is Martha Frances Mississippi Cheesecake. She makes a great red velvet cake.

Finally, a bit of Googling (amazing what you can find these days :wink:) led me to a Brooklyn spot called Cake Man Raven Confectionary on Fulton Street. Seems they may have some, especially on Valentine's Day.

Of course, you could always make it yourself!

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Thanks Megan.

Been to Cake Man Raven. Did a photoshoot with him.

It's good, real good, but it's not that navigable a location.

I'd rather be able to go out for a glass of wine and beer afterwards.

Are there any Southern/Soul places that might serve?

Like the Pink Tea Cup, or R.U.B.?

Michael Harlan Turkell, PHOTOGRAPHER

"BACK OF THE HOUSE" Project, www.harlanturk.com , PLOG: harlanturk.blogspot.com

Thanks, but I forgot to mention that it has to be closer to the Soho, E/W Village, Meat Packing, maybe Lower East Side area. (Particullarly on the F Train).

I've been wanting to go to Sylvia's for a while.

Love her spices, but don't know much about the restaurant.

What dishes are best?

I usually get fried chicken or chicken fried steak with fixins like peas and rice and cornbread and greens.

-Mike & Andrea

Well, since it supposedly was invented at the Waldorf Astoria, maybe one of their restaurants still offers it?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I second Magnolia Bakery.  I don't generally like their cupcakes and definitely not their lines but the Red Velvet cake is great.

If you're willing to do cupcakes, check out Sugar Sweet Sunshine at Rivington and Essex. Their cupcakes beat Magnolia's any day and the "Sexy Red Velvet" cupcake is great.

I think they also take orders for layer cakes of all their cupcakes if you ask in advance. Try giving them a call 212-995-1960.

I have been to every place mentioned so far in this thread.. The best by far, the best I have ever had.. Homemade or otherwise is from Make My Cake.. Its so moist and I think might even have orange peel in it.. The cake is just amazing..Cake Man Raven was ok, but certainly not worth the hype..

103 W. 110th Street,

New York, NY

• Phone: 212.932.0833

• Fax: 212.923.3198

I have been to every place mentioned so far in this thread.. The best by far, the best I have ever had.. Homemade or otherwise is from Make My Cake.. Its so moist and I think might even have orange peel in it.. The cake is just amazing..Cake Man Raven was ok, but certainly not worth the hype..

103 W. 110th Street,

New York, NY

Have you tried the red velvet at Amy Ruth's?

103 W. 110th Street,

New York, NY

This place is amazing.

second

Time past and time future

What might have been and what has been

Point to one end, which is always present.

- T.S. Eliot

Try Maroons on 16th Street between 7th and 8th. I haven't had their Red Velvet cake, but I have had their southern brunch (friend chicken, waffles, grits), and everything was excellent.

Billy's Bakery is a favorite of mine, but I haven't tried their Red Velvet.

Too bad Cake Man Raven is not a good location for you, because that would be my first choice.

However, Ruthy's Bakery, in Chelsea Market makes a Red Velvet Cake (and cupcakes). I have had the cupcake and they are excellent. Can't speak for the cake itself, but I have had several good cakes from there.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 1 month later...

103 W. 110th Street,

New York, NY

I've had Make My Cake's red velvet cake and I wasn't THAT impressed. It was just okay. But I like Cake Man's better.

I know I'm late for the original poster's question, but another good red velvet cake can be had at Amy Ruth's restaurant. It's a soul food spot on 116th Street off Lenox Avenue.