• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinking an opened bottle the next day

eipi10

As a student, I can't often purchase a wine of sufficient quality to be cellared, much less an old bottle whose price has appreciated. Recently I bought a $50 2001 Barolo, which was too tough to drink yesterday, even after I let it stand in the glass for a half hour or so. Today though, it seems in perfect form--the tannins have smoothed out, there's a tad bit more acidity, and it's altogether more aromatic and rounded. I've noticed time and time again that good reds are better the next day.

I'm neither a chemist nor a wine expert, so I wonder--how similar is this effect to the effect of bottle aging?

Yes, some unevolved wines may benefit from several hours breathing. It's more oxidization than accelerated aging, though. The wine's appearance doesn't change; it does when aged. And neither the bouquet nor taste evolve as they would with time in the bottle; for example, secondary and tertiary characteristics simply don't develop.

Generally, however, I'm mystified by the number of geeks, including several whose palates I admire, who make a point of tasting a bottle over two, three or more days and often speak of the wine in glowing terms on the basis of its Day 3 showing. My experience is that most wines suffer when exposed to air for more than a few hours. They may taste softer but they also taste flatter. As a result, I almost invariably decant leftovers into small bottles at the earliest possible moment and gas them with Private Preserve.

FWIW, a few years ago, friends and I did side-by-side tests of four young mid-priced wines — two whites (a Burg and an Alsatian riesling) and two reds (a Burg and a Bordeaux). A third of each bottle was transferred to a 250-ml bottle and gassed; another third into a half-bottle and "sealed" with a Vacu-vin type system; and a third was left in the original bottle and recorked. The wines were tasted blind two days later. In every case, the majority preferred the gassed wine.

Yes, some unevolved wines may benefit from several hours breathing. It's more oxidization than accelerated aging, though. The wine's appearance doesn't change; it does when aged. And neither the bouquet nor taste evolve as they would with time in the bottle; for example, secondary and tertiary characteristics simply don't develop.

Generally, however, I'm mystified by the number of geeks, including several whose palates I admire, who make a point of tasting a bottle over two, three or more days and often speak of the wine in glowing terms on the basis of its Day 3 showing. My experience is that most wines suffer when exposed to air for more than a few hours. They may taste softer but they also taste flatter. As a result, I almost invariably decant leftovers into small bottles at the earliest possible moment and gas them with Private Preserve.

FWIW, a few years ago, friends and I did side-by-side tests of four young mid-priced wines — two whites (a Burg and an Alsatian riesling) and two reds (a Burg and a Bordeaux). A third of each bottle was transferred to a 250-ml bottle and gassed; another third into a half-bottle and "sealed" with a Vacu-vin type system; and a third was left in the original bottle and recorked. The wines were tasted blind two days later. In every case, the majority preferred the gassed wine.

That's very interesting. Conceivably the improvement is more my psychological expectation than a real phenomenon. I will say that I've never found a wine I thought was as good after 3 days. That said, this is really yummy and it certainly made class more tolerable!

Edited by eipi10 (log)

I have been advising restaurants and wine bars with large wine by the glass selections to use Argon gas to maintain wine freshness. I see good results with many wines staying fresh for periods of upto 10 days. At home, once open, a bottle lasts less than a dvd :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Stephen

Vancouver

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

i've found that the better quality wines seem to endure a couple 24 hour periods, perhaps a testamony to the tannins' quality rather than quantity. the fruit seems to enjoy a shorter "peak window." an expert may be able to explain better...

Edited by artisanbaker (log)