• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fukuoka

jkonick

This summer I'm planning on doing a month and a half long study abroad program at Kyushu University in Fukuoka, from early July to mid-August. What is the city like? How is the food? Are there any regional or local specialties? I know it's pretty close to SE Asia - is there an influence at all on the food? Also, how close is it by train to other big cities in Japan (IE Tokyo, etc).

I've never been to Japan but am basically obsessed with Japanese food, so this is going to be a lot of fun. I also don't know Japanese at all... which will be somewhat of an obstacle, although part of the program is an intensive Japanese course.

Thanks!

Unless you are going on a tour (for pleasure), I wouldn't sweat too much about hitting other parts of Japan, especially as far away as Tokyo. Although it would certainly be a nice option, for more reasons than just food.

There are regional specialties in every part of Japan I've been to. If anything, I would try to get invited into as many homes as you can to get a feel for what the locals really eat (and drink).

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I'm not too worried about travelling around - and especially at those prices, when I'm having trouble affording just the airplane/tuition! I have a friend in Tokyo whom I wanted to visit, but maybe I'll just make him come down to Fukuoka... hmm.

Anyway, I'll be living with a Japanese family half of the time, so hopefully I'll get a pretty good idea of everyday food in Fukuoka. The other half I'll be living with Japanese students in a dorm or apartment I think. Either way, I should get a pretty good exposure to lots of different foods.

Kyushu will be hot and humid at that time...I think you will be wondering about what to drink more than what to eat, and the traditional unsweetened cold teas will be your friend!

I haven't been to Kyushu for years, and passed through Fukuoka very quickly, but there is a much stronger influence/interest in Chinese food there, though fairly Japanized.

I'm not too worried about travelling around - and especially at those prices, when I'm having trouble affording just the airplane/tuition! I have a friend in Tokyo whom I wanted to visit, but maybe I'll just  make him come down to Fukuoka... hmm.

Anyway, I'll be living with a Japanese family half of the time, so hopefully I'll get a pretty good idea of everyday food in Fukuoka. The other half I'll be living with Japanese students in a dorm or apartment I think. Either way, I should get a pretty good exposure to lots of different foods.

No matter where you live in Japan, it's quite easy to get specialties from other regions, so you'll eat well no matter where you are!

As for travelling, when I was younger and had more patience, I used to take night buses. Return fare between Fukuoka and Tokyo is Y27 000, while one-way Shinkansen for the same trip is about Y22 000. A much better deal, but more time-consuming and if you're unlucky enough to get a bus without a toilet, they stop almost every hour (turning on the lights when they do so).

You can find a list of night bus routes from Fukuoka here.

The Yatai along Nagahama-dori are wonderful. The specialty is the Nagahama ramen. Which is made, as Hiroyuki mentioned, with a thick pork based broth. You top it off yourself with pickled ginger and sesame seeds to taste. You can also order another serving of noodles to be put in your leftover broth.

The Aso mountain range in Kyushu is beautiful and filled with wonderful hot springs. One of the local specialties in that area is basashi, or horse sashimi.

As for getting to Tokyo cheaply, if you come on a tourist visa, how about getting a Japan Rail Pass for a week? You could also stop off in Kyoto and other areas of interest on the way up to Tokyo.

I would also recommend getting a JR pass to travel with. I'm not sure what the eligibility criteria are for students, but here's the JR Website with a list of prices. Also realize that you'll be there at the dead of summer, and if the last couple years is an indication, it'll be really hot and humid. I find it kind of difficult to eat tonkotsu ramen in those conditions. Probably isn't the best time to visit an onsen either.

And since you'll be close enough, try Nagasaki Champon or Sara Udon, both Nagasaki specialties, but there are outlets in Fukuoka too.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Off to Fukuoka again next week to visit family, but this time we may have a couple of days to actually explore the city on our own. Definitely going to venture out and hit some of the Yataithis time but does anyone know of any in particular we must must must try? Also does Fukuoka have a kitchen town like Kappabashi in Tokyo or Dogayasuji in Osaka?