• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The definitive Buffalo wing post

pork

Nice run-through on the preparation of buffalo wings pork - the pictures really drove the points home. I make buffalo wings the virtually the same way, save with really drying the disjointed wings well with towels and shaking in a bag of seasoned flour (Ziploc, flour, salt, fresh white pepper, touch of cayenne). Other than that our recipes are the same and I have never been to Buffalo, just learned that way years ago.

Liked seeing the baking rack method for bringing them to a party. I am the same way and have only made them right on the spot in small batches - usually keep the party on the small side and do single batches for each person.

One quick question, do you ever have a problem with the wing sauce breaking or seperating once the wings are coated. Considering it is just melted butter and Frank's (I usually add a touch of Tabasco for a little more heat depending on preference) - the taste is great but when the wings come out of the oil, it seems the heat will "break" the coating sauce a bit - if wings are left uneaten, the sauce is seperated at he bottom of the bowl or serving plate after a while. Not that big a deal considering there is not often even one straggler left behind.

I have close to the identical blue cheese sauce recipe, but think that the kind of blue cheese does make a difference - there are some poor commercial products and have been disappointed with the lack of flavor in a few and the "crumbles" purchased by other would-be shoppers in attempt to make things easier. A locally-made blue cheese(s) in New England is Great Hill Blue (also there is a Berkshire Blue, a good second option) which are in the same league as a Maytag.

Lots of good variation suggestions, thanks everyone. I write like a rabid purist, but that's really just my extremely dry sense of humor. It doesn't translate to text that well. As always, "eat what you like" is king in my mind.

One quick question, do you ever have a problem with the wing sauce breaking or separating once the wings are coated.

I usually don't make the sauce mild enough (i.e. with enough butter) to have it noticably separate. The sauce does change consistency rapidly after deployment though, which is part of why they don't travel that well. I think the pungent off-gassing of acetic acid from the hot vinegar is key to the experience, which is lost after 15 minutes at most. That's why I don't think I'll bother to make them "to go" any more.