• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Austin] Campari

sorry to start a new thread just for this question, but i am having the hardest time finding a bottle of campari.

i don't mean to be a nuisance, but can one of you point me in the right direction?

some of the liquor stores i've called don't even know what it is. is it me who is the dunce? should i be looking elsewhere? online?

*sigh* i feel like such a newbie sometimes. :unsure:

"i dream of cherry pies, candy bars and chocolate chip cookies." -talking heads

sorry to start a new thread just for this question, but i am having the hardest time finding a bottle of campari.

i don't mean to be a nuisance, but can one of you point me in the right direction?

some of the liquor stores i've called don't even know what it is.  is it me who is the dunce?  should i be looking elsewhere?  online?

*sigh*  i feel like such a newbie sometimes.  :unsure:

No, you're not the dunce. I once ordered a campari drink from a bartender WHO HAD A DAMNED CAMPARI POSTER ON THE WALL BEHIND HIM and he didn't know what I was talking about. Then they had to dispatch a busboy to go to the nearest liquor store and buy some since they didn't stock it. And this was an Italian bar/restaurant.

Errm, it shouldn't be that hard to find though. Pick a well-stocked liquor store in Austin and they should have it. It's put in weird places in liquor stores though, so you just have to look carefully.

Take a quick trip to Del Rio, and when visiting Mexico you can pick up a liter of Campari at the duty free for about $8.00. If you think its difficult to find Campari try to find Cynar. Oh, you will have to pay an extra dollar at the state tax office if its open when you come back across the bridge.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

thank you all for such timely responses!

i think i'll take Jmahl's suggestion and go across the border. i am doing a bike ride later on in the month down in the rio grande valley; i'll most likely make a pit stop in progreso. i was already planning on hitting up the duty-free store for a bottle of cointreau ($20 savings!).

okay, thanks again for your help everyone.

I find it odd that it is hard to find there. I usually find it here in the liqueur section.

The Italian restaurant story, complete with poster in the background, is just too funny. Many years ago, I was out with an older German gentleman who was sort of my professional mentor. He ordered a Campari and soda and I was intrigued so I joined him. It was really lovely and I proclaimed "So . . . That is what all of those sidewalk cafe umbrellas are about." It is one of my favorite cocktails to this day. It is light on the alcohol and very refreshing.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

To clarify, fifi, I started looking here in San Marcos to no avail.

I then began trying some stores in Austin, but there was not really a method to the madness-- I just started calling liquor stores out of the yellow pages around areas I'm familiar with. After speaking to a few clerks who didn't know what I was talking about, I posted here out of frustration. You all were my go-to guys. :smile:

. . . . .

. . . You all were my go-to guys.  :smile:

But, of course! :biggrin:

When you find it, do try it with soda. I typically fill a tall glass (16 oz. or so) with ice. Pour in two ounces of Campari and fill with soda. You can vary the amount of Campari to your taste. A twist of lime is optional but I like it. My favorite fizz water these days is La Croix. I got hooked on it when I was flying Continental a lot.

There are certainly other ways to use it. A more recent topic on it is here and an older one is here. But my favorite is still simple with soda.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose