• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Malaysian Sweet Cakes

Zucchini Mama

A friend of mine is searching for Malaysian cakes he heard about that a woman makes and sells in a food court in Richmond on the second floor of a mall. Sorry I don't have any more clues, Scooby Doo, but if you find them, there's a couple fo Scooby Snacks in it for you.

Apparently they sell out before noon.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

A friend of mine is searching for Malaysian cakes he heard about that a woman makes and sells in a food court in Richmond on the second floor of a mall.

2nd floor food court? First thing that comes to mind is the food court at Aberdeen Centre, where the Daiso is located.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Hmm. The food court in the Aberdeen Centre is actually on the third floor, but this still might be the place since the court has some very interesting stands. I've noticed a couple of exotic dessert places there, but haven't try them all. Yet.

Paul B

I thought Aberdeen Centre as well, although the food court is on the 3rd floor, not the 2nd. Richmond Public Market is the only other Chinese mall in Richmond I can think of which has an upper-level food court.

What are Malaysian sweet cakes, by the way? Kueh (sp)?

Side note: The place that sells "sand ginger" chicken wings in the Aberdeen food court has really good iced lemon tea & HK style milk tea. For $1.50 you get a bubble-tea-sized cup.

Thanks everyone. His "source" says that it's the Pacific Mall(?) at the corner of

Cambie and Garden City, Richmond.

The cakes are Indonesian-Chinese ethnic sweetcakes.

If anyone sees them, please report back.

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

--Mae West

Thanks everyone. His "source" says that it's the Pacific Mall(?) at the corner of

It's a little store in the food court of Pacific Plaza mall. It's right at Cambie and Garden City, you enter from along Cambie. The owners are from Indonesia and they do have a fair selection of kuehs.

HTH!

It's a little store in the food court of Pacific Plaza mall. It's right at Cambie and Garden City, you enter from along Cambie. The owners are from Indonesia and they do have a fair selection of kuehs.

HTH!

oooooh! do you know what kinds of kuehs they have?

Quentina

oooooh!  do you know what kinds of kuehs they have?

I'm not too sure as I don't really like kueh... but I do remember seeing a wide selection when i last went there (over a year ago).

The food court is utterly hopeless though, you'll understand when you get there. It's on the second floor BTW.

These are the ones my friend brought back for tasting: layered kueh.

They are pretty pastel little gelatinous squares tasting of pandan and coconut. My son loved them and ate his piece layer by layer. There is a wider selection of the cakes on the weekend. I will post more info once I dig it out of my pile o' papers.

--Mae West

Zuke, if you don't feel like slogging all the way to Richmond on city transit, you can always pick up a few of these.

gallery_28661_3_31472.jpg

This is kutsinta, the Filipino version of Malaysian kueh. It's available at any of the Filipino food stores along Fraser Street, at Aling Mary's on Main at 11th and at Goldilocks on Granville Street at Fir. I picked up a dozen for Ian on Saturday and he's mowed through all but three of them.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

^Oh thanks Moosh, I'll let my friend know about that too.

The place in the Pacific Plaza in Richmond is called "Gee! Taste Good" (Southeast Asian Cuisine Specialty). They serve savory dishes like Beef Rendang as well as Gulai Ayam (sour spicy chicken). The sweet list includes: Coconut Milk Layer Pudding, Yam Pudding with Coconut, Sticky Rice Pancakes Wrap Green Bean Paste, Coconut Ball with Coconut Milk Paste, Sticky Rice Ball with Coconut, Pancake Wrap Coconut, Tapioca Pudding and Green Tea Pudding. Their phone number is (604) 728-6180.

--Mae West

These are the ones my friend brought back for tasting: layered kueh.

They are pretty pastel little gelatinous squares tasting of pandan and coconut. My son loved them and ate his piece layer by layer. There is a wider selection of the cakes on the weekend. I will post more info once I dig it out of my pile o' papers.

Yum! Kueh Lapis was loved by my sister and I when we were kids. We always ate it layer by layer....I think it's mandatory when you're a kid! When I have the rare opportunity to have it now, I still eat it that way....old habits die hard. :biggrin:

Thanks for the list, Zuke and Moosh. My mouth is watering....heh!

Quentina