• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zirbenz Stone Pine Liqueur of the Alps

Tasting notes from www.tastings.com

<<Reddish mahogany color. Sweet spicy herbs, wet zoo animal, and oily ox leather aromas follow through to a sweet, winey medium-bodied palate with jumbled spices and herbs, wet fur, charred barrel water, and sandalwood flavors. Finishes with a sugary, astringent, pink peppercorn fade and scorched spices. A curious blend of sweet spice and barnyard flavors, try with goat cheese. (tasted on Dec-16-2005)>>

Wet zoo animal?!?!? Oily ox leather?!?!?

Tasting notes from www.tastings.com

<<Reddish mahogany color. Sweet spicy herbs, wet zoo animal, and oily ox leather aromas follow through to a sweet, winey medium-bodied palate with jumbled spices and herbs, wet fur, charred barrel water, and sandalwood flavors. Finishes with a sugary, astringent, pink peppercorn fade and scorched spices. A curious blend of sweet spice and barnyard flavors, try with goat cheese. (tasted on Dec-16-2005)>>

Wet zoo animal?!?!?  Oily ox leather?!?!?

Ummm...

I guess that's what you happens when you let wine tasters review liqueur!?

Good thing they didn't pass him the Absinthe.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 3 weeks later...
Room4Dessert was doing a cocktail with this a while back...sadly, I don't recall the ingredients.

The cocktail at Room4Dessert, "Mr Clean", and contains lemon juice, Amaretto, whiskey and Zirbenz, topped off with champagne. Will said it was inspired by Dale DeGroff's Ritz Cocktail. It's still available on request, but don't go without experiencing the amazing dessert creations.

• 1 year later...

I finally came up with a palatable cocktail based upon Zirbenz (it's such a _____ to work with)...

2 brandy

1 Zirbenz

1/2 Benedictine

dash of maple syrup liqueur (I'm guessing maple syrup or simple would be fine too)....optional...but I like the mouthfeel this adds.

edit:

think I'm calling this the St. Gotthard.

Edited by Nathan (log)