• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marillenschnaps - seeking luxury product in US

For a Tiroler fondue meal, I'm searching for a luxury Marillen schnaps/liqueur - any suggestions of US-available products and where to find? I'd prefer a fruit infused, but could also make do with a Marillenbrand (eau-de-vie). I'm assuming here y'all know the Austrian schnaps bears little relation to the products called schnapps in the US.

Thanks all.

I don't have a sense of how it stacks up in quality, but a brand that I've seen commonly in Austria is Bailioni(s) (sic) from the Wachau region. I've not looked for it here, but have not seen it either. Out of curiosity, I called up a local store that has a good selection of imported liqueurs (Beltrammo's in Atherton, CA, south of SF) and they do not have any. I also wasn't able to get any other info on possible brands that might be distributed in the US.

Googling a bit, I found one imported apricot schnapps potentially available for ordering on "Taste of Austria". I have no idea regarding the quality this brand. Here is the link:

click. (under 'schnapps".

The name and bottle shape scares me a bit! :smile:

Nannerl Apricot Schnapps

alc. 38% vol.

0,1l violin bottle

This Apricot Schnapps is dedicated to “Nannerl”, the sister of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

If you are really looking for luxury though.... I remember seeing some very high end fruit schnapps from either Austria or Switzerland at "La Casa Sena Wine Shop" in Santa Fe, NM. As I recall, the bottles were priced substantially in excess of $100/bottle.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

If you know anyone travelling to/through the Vienna airport there's oceans of it for sale at the duty-free shop.

Booze Brothers has it but you might need a second mortgage to buy a bottle.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I just took at a gander at the Booze Brothers website and listing, having never heard of it before. I realize that the business is out of Hong Kong but their prices are so absurd that it is humorous. Kind of like bottle prices for "table service" at a nightclub in South Beach.

Angostura Bitters is $169 for a six-ounce bottle.

I just took at a gander at the Booze Brothers website and listing, having never heard of it before.  I realize that the business is out of Hong Kong but their prices are so absurd that it is humorous.  Kind of like bottle prices for "table service" at a nightclub in South Beach.

Angostura Bitters is $169 for a six-ounce bottle.

Prices are in Hong Kong Dollars..there are about 7.8 HK$ in one US$ which means that those bitters are still about US$21.78. They don't deliver overseas.

The Bailoni is commonly available, as is the Nannerl, but the quality is dubious. My Austrian friends and customers were critical on the quality of both, saying they are trying to sell into the US "schnapps" market, rather than the vigorously competitive Austrian market. They say the best captures the fruit in its essence!

While Vienna duty free does have a decent selection of larger brands, I'm going to aim for boutique/premier brands. I'll call to Wallse in NY for their recommendations. Are there any restaurants or sommoliers you'd recommend I also contact?

Thanks all.

Wallse sounds like a good lead to get more information.

I was able to speak to the proprieter (Gary Baxter) of a wineshop I like to visit in Santa Fe (La Casa Sena Wine Shop) who carries many Austrian wines and also has some high-end schnapps/eau de vie as I mentioned above.

He has some bottles from an Austrian producer: Hans Reisetbauer. The price range per bottle is $120-150 and he is able to ship. The bottles he currently has are: apricot, plum, rowanberry, wild cherry and poire williams.

A little info on Reisetbauer I was able to find online: http://www.wineanorak.com/austria/austrian...reisetbauer.htm

The importer for this producer is Terry Thiese and the distributor is Michael Skurnick. They are based in New York so you should be able to get more information and have a good chance at some local availability if it turns out to be a producer that you are interested in after speaking with those familiar with it.

If you're willing, it would be nice to hear back what you find out through Wallse and/or Terry Thiese. I would have some interest in procuring some good Austrian schapps/eau de vie myself.

Good luck.

Edited by ludja (log)