• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of Kansas City

Katie Nell

or the time I was waiting patiently in the sandwich line and right as I get to the front, a Joco princess steps in front of me and says, "I'm sorry, but I'm in a hurry".
LOL! :laugh: 'nough said!

Seriously, I do rely on D&D for some novelty ingredients/items that are hard (or impossible) to resource in the KC area...

u.e.

Alright, alright, enough Johnson County bashing... my blood boils everytime you guys get started! :angry:

:laugh: Katie i was born and raised in Leawood and my parents still live there. I just try not to admit it unless i have too :blink: No all kidding aside I love where i grew up... ANYWAY I was just curious if anyone has been to the asain market @ 95th and i-35. I've always wanted to stop there. It seems like an odd location for an asian market though. :huh:

At least I'm in good company then! :wink:

I grew up in Topeka... don't tell! double :wink:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

:laugh: Katie i was born and raised in Leawood and my parents still live there. I just try not to admit it unless i have too :blink:

We still love you! :wub:

No all kidding aside I love where i grew up... ANYWAY I was just curious if anyone has been to the asain market @ 95th and i-35. I've always wanted to stop there. It seems like an odd location for an asian market though. :huh:

Are you talking about the small one wedged in an unassuming strip mall catty-corner (on the South-West side) across I-35 from the Sam's Club (or is it a Costco)? Yes, I've been there many times. It's not as big as Chinatown Food Market in the River Market or the 888, but it's got your basics and the owners are uber-friendly and helpful.

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

What is the opening date for the Farmer's Market this year?  April 15?  We split between there and Brookside. (Oh Brookside, how I love thee)

Neither the OP market nor Brookside has an opening date posted yet, but the KC Center for Urban Agriculture indicates, on their website that Brookside opens April 15.

I sent an email request inquiring about OP and will post when I receive a response.

For those who cannot wait (and I count myself among you) there is the annual "preview" and a few of the growers actually have some items for sale, although it is largely an educational event:

Farmers Expo: Join us and many other area farmers for this year's Farmers Expo on April 1, 9am-3pm, at the Shawnee Civic Center, 13817 Johnson Drive, Shawnee, KS. Contact the Food Circle at 816-374-5899 for more information.

I would *love* to see a great turnout for this. It's a good time to buy transplants for hearty plants (and others, if you have "wall o' waters") and get to know the folks who [i hope] feed you for half of the year.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

:laugh: Katie i was born and raised in Leawood and my parents still live there. I just try not to admit it unless i have too :blink:  No all kidding aside I love where i grew up...

So that whole story about the manger and wise men was just an urban myth? And the star, too?

I just don't know what to believe anymore.

Blessed are the cheesemakers! :biggrin:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 3 weeks later...
I still swear by Gates' sauce, though, and ever since Ollie surrendered the recipe to Martha Stewart, I make my own.

Is this recipe for the sauce available to share? I'm on the hunt for a great bbq/barbeque sauce recipe... thanks

I found one posted here but, as it's not directly related to MS or OG, caveat emptor.

M.F.K. Fisher

I still swear by Gates' sauce, though, and ever since Ollie surrendered the recipe to Martha Stewart, I make my own.

Is this recipe for the sauce available to share? I'm on the hunt for a great bbq/barbeque sauce recipe... thanks

I found one posted here but, as it's not directly related to MS or OG, caveat emptor.

Since "From Martha's Kitchen" no longer airs on the Food Network, it's not up on their site any more, but I saved a copy of it on my hard drive at home. I'll post it to RecipeGullet later this evening.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Took me longer than I said it would, but it's up on RecipeGullet if you are at all interested. (I know at least one person is--I got a PM from him. Like me, he once lived in KC but no longer does.)

• 1 month later...
Best Breakfast: The Corner, because we were usually too hung over to even notice the wait.
you and everyone else. It's still there; original owner died some time ago but it never ceased. I hear it was less-than-good for a time but a couple of hopeful reports of late.

Has anyone had breakfast at The Corner Restaurant lately? (I'm assuming this is the old establishment over in Westport) It's still around, right?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Aha, so you're a preppy!  :wink:

As is this gorgeous hunk, Class of '77 and childhood neighbor (I lived on the 4100 block of Bellefontaine, he on the same block of Benton Boulevard). His memories of Pem-Day are as bitter as mine are pleasant (although I'm not looking forward to encountering the redneck who runs Russell Stover Candies at the reunion). I am looking forward to having the chance to reminisce a bit with him, for better or worse, when he comes to Philly on 3/1 for a performance at Chris' Jazz Cafe a few blocks away from me.

Further reflections after the fact:

--"The redneck who runs Russell Stover Candies" greeted me warmly when he arrived at Charlie Hooper's for the guys-only reunion event. (We weren't close in school; funny how time erases those oh-so-meaningful cleavages from high school days.) I later semi-jokingly said to him that I was considering buying a box of Russell Stover candy to take back as "something from Kansas City" for one of the slew of people who either asked me to bring something back or I had promised something, and he responded by suggesting several barbecue sauces. I guess even he understood the implications of bringing back from Kansas City something the recipient could get at his nearest CVS, even if his family owns the company that makes it. Tom, you're all right; I take back what I said upthread.

--My neighbor/Pem-Day '77 classmate didn't have as bitter memories of the place as I thought. He just doesn't feel the school needs his money. :smile: (We did have an exchange on coming out--which I did to him many years ago. He and I share sexual orientation as well as race, home neighborhood and secondary school.)

--So much has changed about Kansas City: for one thing, they finally built the South Midtown Freeway^W^W^WBruce Watkins Drive! And Brush Creek is totally unrecognizable, as is the intersection of Swope Parkway/Brush Creek^W^WEmmanuel Cleaver II Blvd/The Paseo/Volker Blvd--not to mention the thing that replaced old Paseo High. Yet so little has changed at the same time. It's still a beautiful city, and I'm glad I grew up there. It looks like it's gotten a lot cooler as a place to live since then, though.

Edited to add: And apparently in tune with all the current fashions on the coasts. I chuckled inside when we drove past a street in the old Mexican district named for Cesar Chavez. (Philadelphia lacks one of these.)

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

• 7 months later...

With the new year here...

What have been the good/bad restaurant surprises of 2006? Anyone go anywhere for the first time? Any new "Favorites"? Where do you want to go in 2007?

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

With the new year here...

What have been the good/bad restaurant surprises of 2006? Anyone go anywhere for the first time? Any new "Favorites"? Where do you want to go in 2007?

Thanks for reviving this, JWest. Since you started it, why don't you go first? :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

well if you insist...

1. Cassis (Town Center Plaza) was better than I expected...My favorites were all of the classical French preparations and the appetizers.

2. "Traditional Menus" at Chinese Restaurants, Thanks to DaveCrum for introducing me to the Traditional Menu at Fortune Star (119th&Metcalf), I had the chance to see what these restaurants are really made of..including Bo Lings (Country Club Plaza). (Also, to credit U.E.'s Blog on Chinese Restaurants)

3. Pizza 51 was my favorite summer "any day" type of restaurant. Great pizza and somewhat different with the outside patio seating. Also, gotta love the bottles of honey for your crust.

4. Carrot Cake Ice Cream at Murray's (You all know that)

5. Brunch at Room39....it's not only for sundays but everyday and I love how you can get a lunch option or a breakfast dish so it suits for everyone. I take all my "novice eater" friends here before anywhere else.

Im sure I'll think of some more...

Edited by JWest (log)

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Is it off topic for me to ask what everyone sees in Jack Stack?

I was taken there for my birthday, and it was really disappointing. Set aside the really bad service and the fact that the food was very much on the cold side of warm, and I still don't see what is great about it. The burnt ends were dry and lacking flavor, the sauce was really not special, and though I think the cheesey corn bake would have been really good had it been warm, it takes more than the taste of cheese and corn to draw me to a restaurant.

On the other hand, I've always enjoyed Gates and Arthur Bryant's sauces, and when I make it back to KC, I'll be trying the following BBQ joints, though maybe not all at once:

Hayward's (I hear that they have some of the best burnt ends on the planet)

Snead's (there is apparently a sandwich there that is like a log of sauced and smoked meat. Only in BBQ could that description sound appealing)

LC's (who apparently also has great BBQ)

Okay, sorry if I am too much off topic...

I was taken there for my birthday, and it was really disappointing.  Set aside the really bad service and the fact that the food was very much on the cold side of warm, and I still don't see what is great about it.  The burnt ends were dry and lacking flavor, the sauce was really not special, and though I think the cheesey corn bake would have been really good had it been warm, it takes more than the taste of cheese and corn to draw me to a restaurant.

On balance, I agree. I think my biggest complaint is the poor value. $8 for two slices of beef and two slices of turkey and a honking big plate of fries is not value. Neither is a tiny crock of cheese, corn and ham for $2.

Just curious, which location did you go to?

I failed to mention, our resident critic, Ms. Chapin, gave the new Plaza JS location 3 1/2 stars last week.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I was taken there for my birthday, and it was really disappointing.  Set aside the really bad service and the fact that the food was very much on the cold side of warm, and I still don't see what is great about it.  The burnt ends were dry and lacking flavor, the sauce was really not special, and though I think the cheesey corn bake would have been really good had it been warm, it takes more than the taste of cheese and corn to draw me to a restaurant.

On the other hand, I've always enjoyed Gates and Arthur Bryant's sauces, and when I make it back to KC, I'll be trying the following BBQ joints, though maybe not all at once:

Hayward's (I hear that they have some of the best burnt ends on the planet)

Snead's (there is apparently a sandwich there that is like a log of sauced and smoked meat.  Only in BBQ could that description sound appealing)

LC's (who apparently also has great BBQ)

Okay, sorry if I am too much off topic...

It probably is off-topic but I agree completely. I have never understood what the fuss is about JS, except that it's accessible, approachable. I think it appeals to the middle-of-the-road palate - and that's fine - there is room for that (obviously). I just don't consider it a standard-bearer of KC BBQ or anything else, for that matter. I could easily see it becoming a Famous Dave's-type thing because of its (apparently) universal appeal. I'm with you; more likely to be found (if not on my own deck) at LC's or tiny places that I am reluctant to enumerate. :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

Alright, so here are my KC dining highlights for 2006 (in no particular order):

1. 1924 Main: Lunch. You really can't beat $10 for two courses.

2. Murray's Ice Cream: While JWest has found a love for the carrot cake. I fell in love with their Nutty Rum Raisin. It inspired me to make variations at home. I can't wait to try their One Drunk Monk when they reopen in March.

3. Michel Richard's "Happy in the Kitchen" wine dinnerThis event was held at 40 Sardines. The food was pretty great, but it was the company and the event that made the evening so special and memorable.

4. Bo Ling's: Of course, being with people who know how and what to order always helps!! :wink:

5. bluestem: Especially the wagyu tartare, the caviar course(thank you wench and lad :wink: ), and Megan's awesome Brown Sugah Pumpkin Bread Pudding (she spells it with an "r" - but I think it deserves more sass :raz: )

6. China Tom's: The The "Huang gua la ban la pi" at China Tom's was so good that I ordered another to go on my way out.

7. Krause Dining: The City of Lawrence needs to get off its sorry ass and approve Robert Krause's rezoning application to open his in-home restaurant!! One of the most fantabulous meals of 2006 was had at his restaurant shortly before it closed. Who knew grilled Walu would ever go so well with banana-schmaltz ice cream!?

8. Circe: I'm sorry to say, after two visits, not much impressed me. But, recently, I very much enjoyed a sweet potatoe ice cream.

9. Trezo Mare: Not cheap, but not bad either. I especially enjoyed their Maya Prawns, their scallops, and desserts were across the board stellar. Look forward to more visits in 2007.

10. Cassis: Finally got around to visiting, and on balance, I was pleased. Really enjoyed the cassoulet that came with a duck roulade. Also very much enjoyed a chicken liver terrine.

11. The Drop: Great salads and bruschetta.

12. JP Wine Bar: Crowded and LOUD, but love their cheese plates.

13. Phillips Chophouse: The food is way too expensive, but I had a memorable "Inside-Out Caramel Apple Cake."

Places I look forward to visiting in 2007 - off the top of my head (I'm sure more to come):

1. Room 39 - have been for lunch, but need to visit for dinner.

2. Starker's Reserve - I need to get to Starker's. If nothing else - to pig out on ice cream!! Big Country, what do you have in the freezer these days?

3. EBT - need to check out what's been going on since it re-opened. Any and all reports would be appreciated and welcomed. Please post in appropriate thread.

4. 40 Sardines - Debbie's got the "Gold"en touch - and it seems, from recent reports, that under her sole direction, things are looking up. I need to get back there - the current online menu looks fantastic. Anyone been recently? Would love to hear reports. Please post in appropriate thread.

5. Need to do more "ethnic" eating in KCK and in the downtown bottoms. Thanks to reports from Zeemanb, chileheadmike, and Crum, I've got excellent guides.

6. Avenues Bistro - Morbid curiosity compels me to at least try it.

7. Pachamama's - ditto as #6. It can't be that bad... Ms. Chapin gave it 1 star! :wink:

8. Whatever new venture Chef Micheal Smith opens. Will be excited to find out when the time comes. Anyone got news? Please post in appropriate thread.

9. Souperman - Dalzell's (of 1924 Main) soon-to-open lunch spot downtown.

10. Whatever may open in 2007.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

UE,

Would love to have you come in. In the freezer now is Vanilla, of course, Mexican Hot chocolate, Egg Nog, and Roasted Pineapple Pina Colada. Today is such a great day for Ice Cream too!! :wink: I will be changing my would menu in the next two weeks also.

Alright, so here are my KC dining highlights for 2006 (in no particular order):

1. 1924 Main: Lunch.  You really can't beat $10 for two courses. 

2. Murray's Ice Cream: While JWest has found a love for the carrot cake.  I fell in love with their Nutty Rum Raisin.  It inspired me to make variations at home.  I can't wait to try their One Drunk Monk when they reopen in March.

3. Michel Richard's "Happy in the Kitchen" wine dinnerThis event was held at 40 Sardines.  The food was pretty great, but it was the company and the event that made the evening so special and memorable.

4. Bo Ling's: Of course, being with people who know how and what to order always helps!!  :wink:

5. bluestem: Especially the wagyu tartare, the caviar course(thank you wench and lad  :wink: ), and Megan's awesome Brown Sugah Pumpkin Bread Pudding (she spells it with an "r" - but I think it deserves more sass  :raz: )

6. China Tom's: The The "Huang gua la ban la pi" at China Tom's was so good that I ordered another to go on my way out.

7. Krause Dining: The City of Lawrence needs to get off its sorry ass and approve Robert Krause's rezoning application to open his in-home restaurant!!  One of the most fantabulous meals of 2006 was had at his restaurant shortly before it closed.  Who knew grilled Walu would ever go so well with banana-schmaltz ice cream!?

8. Circe: I'm sorry to say, after two visits, not much impressed me.  But, recently, I very much enjoyed a sweet potatoe ice cream. 

9. Trezo Mare: Not cheap, but not bad either.  I especially enjoyed their Maya Prawns, their scallops, and desserts were across the board stellar.  Look forward to more visits in 2007.

10. Cassis: Finally got around to visiting, and on balance, I was pleased.  Really enjoyed the cassoulet that came with a duck roulade.  Also very much enjoyed a chicken liver terrine.

11. The Drop: Great salads and bruschetta.

12. JP Wine Bar: Crowded and LOUD, but love their cheese plates. 

13. Phillips Chophouse: The food is way too expensive, but I had a memorable "Inside-Out Caramel Apple Cake."

Places I look forward to visiting in 2007 - off the top of my head (I'm sure more to come):

1. Room 39 - have been for lunch, but need to visit for dinner.

2. Starker's Reserve - I need to get to Starker's.  If nothing else - to pig out on ice cream!!  Big Country, what do you have in the freezer these days?

3. EBT - need to check out what's been going on since it re-opened.  Any and all reports would be appreciated and welcomed. Please post in appropriate thread.

4. 40 Sardines - Debbie's got the "Gold"en touch - and it seems, from recent reports, that under her sole direction, things are looking up.  I need to get back there - the current online menu looks fantastic.  Anyone been recently?  Would love to hear reports. Please post in appropriate thread.

5. Need to do more "ethnic" eating in KCK and in the downtown bottoms.  Thanks to reports from Zeemanb, chileheadmike, and Crum, I've got excellent guides.

6. Avenues Bistro - Morbid curiosity compels me to at least try it.

7. Pachamama's - ditto as #6.  It can't be that bad...  Ms. Chapin gave it 1 star!  :wink:

8. Whatever new venture Chef Micheal Smith opens.  Will be excited to find out when the time comes. Anyone got news?  Please post in appropriate thread.

9. Souperman - Dalzell's (of 1924 Main) soon-to-open lunch spot downtown.

10. Whatever may open in 2007.

It is easier to change a menu than a growing season.

When I get to town, in no particular order

Artisian Francais - for breakfast and a pain au chocolate

Jones BBQ over in KCK

several other places on u.e.'s list

to try

Pachamama's - the menu looked very interesting and it isn't really all that far

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

In the freezer now is ... Mexican Hot chocolate...

Now that's what I'm talking about!!

Today is such a great day for Ice Cream too!! :wink: 

What day isn't good for ice cream? :huh::raz:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I finally got to try Hayward's beef burnt ends, and I have to say they were really excellent; not as good as mine of course :wink: but damn good. In fact, they were so much better than what I had tried at Jack Stack, that it put that mediocre restaurant to shame. Plus, the service was much better, and the environment was a lot more relaxed. A great place!

• 1 year later...

Went to Murray's and had the "Maui Zowie" (Pineapple, Coconut, Macadamia Nuts)

...and I wished I got the triple scoop instead of the single scoop :blush:

P.S. - Can't wait to see Carrot Cake Ice Cream back.

Edited by JWest (log)

Went to Murray's and had the "Maui Zowie" (Pineapple, Coconut, Macadamia Nuts)

...and I wished I got the triple scoop instead of the single scoop  :blush:

P.S. - Can't wait to see Carrot Cake Ice Cream back.

Thanks for putting this out here; it reminds me that I have yet to make it Murray's this year.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Just a bump and a reminder if you haven't been lately.....Cupini's is a local treasure as far as I'm concerned. I keep forgetting that they opened a location right up the street from my house in Parkville, and I've visited the past couple of days for lunch. Great food, fantastic customer service, and they've done a VERY fine job of dressing up a spot that would have otherwise been taken over by some chain. The sausage panini is a favorite of mine.....

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011