• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of Kansas City

Katie Nell

I am headed to KC next weekend for my husband's grandmother's 90th birthday and my biggest regret is that we'll only be there for two dinners and two lunches.  We are trying to convince the family to do Jack Stack carryout for the birthday dinner (gram doesn't go out much anymore).  I love thier brisket, burnt ends, and cheezy corn.  I have to get fries from Oklahoma Joe's, and I think we're going to Lidia's for dinner Friday night.  I also want to try LC's - so we will probably have to fit that into Saturday's lunch.  But my husband will surely want to go to Winsted's too.  There are way too many good restaurants for the 48 hours we will be in town!

welcome annarborfoodie! or rather, bon voyage (i'm actually closer to you than to k.c.)... i hope they crank up the heat back home for you!! :laugh:

happy eating, er... gorging! :laugh: sounds like you've gut your stomach's full before getting there! :raz:

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I am headed to KC next weekend for my husband's grandmother's 90th birthday and my biggest regret is that we'll only be there for two dinners and two lunches.  We are trying to convince the family to do Jack Stack carryout for the birthday dinner (gram doesn't go out much anymore).  I love thier brisket, burnt ends, and cheezy corn.  I have to get fries from Oklahoma Joe's, and I think we're going to Lidia's for dinner Friday night.  I also want to try LC's - so we will probably have to fit that into Saturday's lunch.  But my husband will surely want to go to Winsted's too.  There are way too many good restaurants for the 48 hours we will be in town!

Invest in a soft-sided cooler and take it to go - we did when we lived in A2. You'll find you are more popular when you return bearing ribs, too.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm with you.  I stay out of the fray when everyone starts the 'Gates has gone downhill' talk because I really didn't go there much anyway, but that sauce!  I saw the Ollie episode, too, and thought it was funny when she started to add ingredients in the wrong order (or before stirring the last one in or something) and he corrected her.  Leave it to Ollie to make Queen Martha act like a scolded toddler.

Oh, yeah--that was priceless!

Of course, that was Pre-Prison Martha. Post-Prison Martha, I understand, is a different creature in many respects, though her essence remains unchanged.

For storing my sauce, I hang on to a Gates bottle that I got when a Drexel math professor friend of mine (and fellow native) and I split a case about two years ago.

In any event, I'm taking notes.  I hope to be back in town this spring for my 30th high school reunion (Pembroke-Country Day, Class of '76), and I'll need to know some good places to eat.

Aha, so you're a preppy! :wink:

As is this gorgeous hunk, Class of '77 and childhood neighbor (I lived on the 4100 block of Bellefontaine, he on the same block of Benton Boulevard). His memories of Pem-Day are as bitter as mine are pleasant (although I'm not looking forward to encountering the redneck who runs Russell Stover Candies at the reunion). I am looking forward to having the chance to reminisce a bit with him, for better or worse, when he comes to Philly on 3/1 for a performance at Chris' Jazz Cafe a few blocks away from me.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 weeks later...

My god, get sucked into the black hole of work for a few weeks, and the KC topics just splode on me.

Mmmm, bests. We're still getting the lay of the land, sad to say (3 freakin years here and I still have a 'to try' list a mile long.)

Best everyday: Will I be killed if I say Chipotle or Bo Ling's? Because sometimes a girl just needs to asphyxiate herself in a crate of Yung Chow fried rice or a burrito as big as her head.

Best with cost as no consideration: I'm so torn. We've been to Bluestem once and whoagod do I want to go back and do the tasting as opposed to ala carte. 40 Sardines is our regular nice meal hangout and practically our home away from home. Mmmmm, ginger margaritas. And they will forever have my gratitude for welcoming our kid and helping him learn proper restaurant behavior from an exceedingly early age.

Best BBQ: Bryant's.

Best Thai:... sob. I have yet to find one I like.

Place I really think we should get to more often: Aixois, and by 'we' I mean 'me' as my UMKC prof spouse gets over there all the dang time.

Best pizza: we have grown ridiculously fond of Pizza 51 on campus

Custard? Sheridans. So Sheridans.

Edited by chicagowench (log)

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

I'm with you, CWench. Last week was brutal and I feel I've been neglecting The Heartland.

We haven't ever actually killed anyone for eating at chains; we prefer ad hominem attacks as they don't result in incarceration. :wink:

You're not the first parent I've talked to who raised restaurant kids at 40 Sards. I don't frequent there these days (because of logistics, not because I don't love it) but often in the early evening Michael & Debbie's daughters were there so it just seems natural that it's kid-friendly, for a white tablecloth place.

I'm kinda with you on the Thai thing; there are still many more out of town that I crave than in town. I am anxious to try Bua Thai (reviewed in The Pitch a couple of weeks ago - see Digest) but it's about equidistant for me as Lawrence so it will be a road trip.

Don't give up - I've lived here off and on for 20 years and I fall farther behind on trying places every year. After the dismal early days of only 2 or 3 good places to eat, it's a great problem to have, though. :smile:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

We haven't ever actually killed anyone for eating at chains; we prefer ad hominem attacks as they don't result in incarceration

We're in the land of BBQ and giant construction pits along 135th andf 1515st, and we can't think of a good way to stash a body?

Um topic. What's people's fave bakery?

We haven't ever actually killed anyone for eating at chains; we prefer ad hominem attacks as they don't result in incarceration

We're in the land of BBQ and giant construction pits along 135th andf 1515st, and we can't think of a good way to stash a body?

Um topic. What's people's fave bakery?

not to be snide - chez ulterior epicure.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

we're in the land of BBQ and giant construction pits along 135th andf 1515st,  and we can't think of a good way to stash a body?

Wow, you Chicago wenches are a rough lot. I'm going to watch out for you :wink:

Um topic.  What's people's fave bakery?

I'm partial to Fervere for bread (only open Thurs-Sat). Napoleon is awfully good, though, and they offer lovely pastries in addition to typical French loaves and croissants. And closer to your burial ground - er - neighborhood is, of course, D&D.

M.F.K. Fisher

we're in the land of BBQ and giant construction pits along 135th andf 1515st,  and we can't think of a good way to stash a body?

Wow, you Chicago wenches are a rough lot. I'm going to watch out for you :wink:

yeah, if only chicagowench was in chicago during the moon crater-causing face-lift on millineum park a few years ago... oy, it was like grand canyon meets lake michigan! :laugh:
I'm partial to Fervere for bread (only open Thurs-Sat).

willing to backseat chez ulterior epicure to fervere if you divulge location... any explanation for its limited days of op?

Napoleon is awfully good, though, and they offer lovely pastries in addition to typical French loaves and croissants.  And closer to your burial ground - er - neighborhood is, of course, D&D.

will concede that wally's is pretty good (on north oak trafficway).

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Info on Fevere from what I could find. We seriously need to get to Napoleon.

I smell field trip.

As for D&D, yeeeeeeeah. But that involves facing D&D. I also find their pastries oversweet and dense (then again, I tend to bake my own)

And u.e.? I was in Chicago for the horrendous screwjob on the metra electric underground station at Randolph as part of the Millenium Park project, the ped underpass and LSD roadwork at 57th street, and- booyah- the big dig project at the Museum of Science and Industry. Oish. Talk about being able to bury bodies. And trains, cars, other large objects...

I found Fevere on my last trip up to KC. What a treat and Fred is a very interesting person to just visit with. It is right next to the Bluebird and around the corner from Red Star Galleries.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

As for D&D, yeeeeeeeah.  But that involves facing D&D.

clarify please - what, exactly does this involve?

And u.e.?  I was in Chicago for the horrendous screwjob on the metra electric underground station at Randolph as part of the Millenium Park project, the ped underpass and LSD roadwork at 57th street, and- booyah- the big dig project at the Museum of Science and Industry.  Oish.  Talk about being able to bury bodies.  And trains, cars, other large objects...

large objects indeed! they were even able to bury the entire soldier field beneath a inter-galactic ufo cum toilet bowl!! :blink:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Mmmm, excessive prices and consumer behavior which often drives me to brow-ticking raaaaaaage. (Having said that, I've had only positive experiences with the staff there, they have been nothing but unfailingly polite and helpful)

Mmmm, excessive prices and consumer behavior which often drives me to brow-ticking raaaaaaage.

oh, that... i actually don't find them that unreasonably priced compared to another boutique specialty food store in the metro-area... :hmmm:
(Having said that, I've had only positive experiences with the staff there, they have been nothing but unfailingly polite and helpful)

... not to mention unfailingly unpretentious - especially compared with other d&d staffs at the other locations...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Gee, I can't imagine which other boutique emporium you could be talking about! There are things, largely bizarro baking related, I rely on D&D for instead of schlepping to BC. Anything Asian ingredient wise I don't cough up at D&D for and go to the Asian market next to Irv's at 103rd and Metcalf.

Unfortunately, they have the pocky right next to the checkout, and we never escape without stocking up on bizarro cookie flavours.

Mmmm, excessive prices and consumer behavior which often drives me to brow-ticking raaaaaaage.  (Having said that, I've had only positive experiences with the staff there, they have been nothing but unfailingly polite and helpful)

Not to turn this into a D&D bashing thread, because I do love going there to grab lunch and agree that the staff is exceptional. However, it can be a nightmare.....I'm thinking of soccer moms in the summertime bringing in their offspring fresh from the swimming pool and letting them run rampant through the place dripping wet and chasing each other as mom tortures the employees, or the time I was waiting patiently in the sandwich line and right as I get to the front, a Joco princess steps in front of me and says, "I'm sorry, but I'm in a hurry". Sure, I got to shut her down (....."yeah, then you should think about getting here earlier next time...") and it felt great, but DAMN if that place isn't the hub for self absorbed, humorless, joyless.....can't think of the right word to finish the sentence but you know what I mean.

Oh, speaking of bakeries, I highly recommend a place on 13th and Central in KCK..."Laura's" I believe. Right next door to Laura's Mexican Restaurant. Great Mexican pastries, which I'm very fond of because they generally aren't as sweet. Haven't been there in at least a year, so no recent reports.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

or the time I was waiting patiently in the sandwich line and right as I get to the front, a Joco princess steps in front of me and says, "I'm sorry, but I'm in a hurry".
LOL! :laugh: 'nough said!

Seriously, I do rely on D&D for some novelty ingredients/items that are hard (or impossible) to resource in the KC area...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Allright then, given the issues of finding ingredients/sourcing, what are some places folks like, so long as we're on the best of KC? I've already given props to the Asian market at 103 and Metcalf.

Allright then, given the issues of finding ingredients/sourcing, what are some places folks like, so long as we're on the best of KC?  I've already given props to the Asian market at 103 and Metcalf.

Out of sheer convenience, I head to the River Market:

1. Al Habashi for everything Middle Eastern.

2. Chinatown Food Market for most things Asian.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Allright then, given the issues of finding ingredients/sourcing, what are some places folks like, so long as we're on the best of KC?  I've already given props to the Asian market at 103 and Metcalf.

Bella Napoli in Brookside (mostly Italian but a few other Euro things)

Al Habashi (City Mkt)

Anywhere on SW Blvd for anything hispanic/latino

Eastern European Market just north of OP Farmer's Market

Mediterranean Market (74th & Metcalf) for a variety of things and MREs, too

Krizman's House of Sausage (Strawberry Hill)

Fritz's (hot dogs)

Penzey's (OP) or Planter's (City Mkt) for spices/herbs/seasonings)

Au Marche (Lawrence) or Brits (adjecent to Au Marche) for variety of Euro supplies

If you have other specific needs we'll try to help. Those are my go-to places for most everything. Oh, and Whole Foods, of course. And who doesn't miss the Food Bin? I still sniffle when I drive by. :sad:

M.F.K. Fisher

As far as specialty shops....for all of your BBQ'ing and Grilling needs, I stumbled upon a place near my house called "Backyard Bash". It's behind the Price Chopper near the intersection of 9 and 45 Hwys. In addition to all of the usual hardware...grills, thermometers, etc. they have a really great selection of sauces, rubs and wood for smoking (which I manage to see everywhere in town until I actually need to buy any). Super nice guy running it too.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

or the time I was waiting patiently in the sandwich line and right as I get to the front, a Joco princess steps in front of me and says, "I'm sorry, but I'm in a hurry".

Seriously, I do rely on D&D for some novelty ingredients/items that are hard (or impossible) to resource in the KC area...

u.e.

Alright, alright, enough Johnson County bashing... my blood boils everytime you guys get started! :angry:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Anywhere on SW Blvd for anything hispanic/latino

La Tienda Casa Paloma has nice products as well. Lots of dried chilies and many other spices.

The OP Farmer's Market has good stuff too... can't wait for it to open! :smile:

Cupini's for fresh pasta and sauces to go!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

u.e.

Alright, alright, enough Johnson County bashing... my blood boils everytime you guys get started! :angry:

:laugh: Katie i was born and raised in Leawood and my parents still live there. I just try not to admit it unless i have too :blink: No all kidding aside I love where i grew up... ANYWAY I was just curious if anyone has been to the asain market @ 95th and i-35. I've always wanted to stop there. It seems like an odd location for an asian market though. :huh:

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris