• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of Kansas City

Katie Nell

... i have honestly no idea what you mean by the statement - i'm intrigued. 

u.e.

Let me try this: I think that the ultimate margarita (formerly served at Cafe Las Bellas Artes, Elmhurst, IL--RIP) should taste something akin to a very dry Beefeter martini, up, no salt--not Minute Maid lime-ade.

And I'm too opinionated to start a thread on this...I'll just drop hints and remain inscrutable. :cool:

As for steaks--I agree that a real dry-aged steak is very hard to find because it is so difficult to handle the meat properly--a sprightly crust of mold can lead to spoilage if you don't know what you're doing.

Add me to the "no idea what you mean" list. Is this the Twilight Zone forum or . . . . .?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Best Everyday Restaurant (i.e. cheap and easy):  The grocery store, then home. 

you're no fun... :raz:

seriously, if i had known that option was available, i'd have picked the same!!

NOT AN OPTION!!! :angry:

What can I say to make you believe me or understand? I either go somewhere that I really want to go to eat, or I go home and cook. There is really never a conversation that concludes with "oh, let's just go to ___" It just doesn't happen. If there's not something I want (typically something else on this "best of" list), I don't go out to eat. I guess that's why people think I am a a snob about "fine dining" but I see no reason to spend middling sums of money on mediocre food. I'm dining in, or I'm dining out. Sorry!

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

What can I say to make you believe me or understand?  I either go somewhere that I really want to go to eat, or I go home and cook.  There is really never a conversation that concludes with "oh, let's just go to ___"  It just doesn't happen.  If there's not something I want (typically something else on this "best of" list), I don't go out to eat.  I guess that's why people think I am a a snob about "fine dining" but I see no reason to spend middling sums of money on mediocre food.  I'm dining in, or I'm dining out.  Sorry!

ditto - neither do i ("spend middling sums of money on mediocre food"). but, to comply with the "spirit" of katie's thread, can't you name some "mediocre" establishment that you would/could see yourself visiting on an anyday - if no kitchen/grocery store format were feasible for some reason or another?

i don't want to force your arm, but...

i NEVER eat out anymore unless it's out of necessity OR it's a planned night "dining out" - however, with some imagination (of nightmarish implication :blink: ), if i, for some reason, had to resort to an "everyday restaurant" kind of lifestyle, i would head to chipotle most often for a cheap and simple meal.

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

After multiple attempts to reply to this gracefully, I am surrendering. I am pasting responses below with apologies. Something about all of the quotes is not working and I can't decipher it, but want to respond. Thanks to all for your patience and indulgence.

HELLO KANSAS CITY!!!

Ed and Melanie here. Long time KC locals, but have lived in Europe for many years now (since 1993).

Oh, hello (or ciao, or salve...do they still speak Ladin where you are?)! I remember reading about you in the paper a few years ago. Glad to hear you're still there and, presumably, well. I would love a full report, either online or via PM, on your family, business, etc.

I will attempt to supply answers for your nostalgic picks.

Best Everyday Restaurant (i.e. cheap and easy): Winstead's

going strong; more outlets than ever, I think.
I'm sure you know Venue closed some time ago. Dennis is at Harry's Country Club, Joleeta has a catering biz, Lori was in SF working for Pascal Rigo for years but recently relocated to St. Louis to be with her parents. Marino runs the R&D operation for Earthbound Farms - it is incredible - one of my favorite places in the country (Carmel Valley). I've wanted to do an article (working title "A Change of Venue") following-up on all of them for some time.
Stephenson's Apple Farm (for Melanie, because Ed didn't cook there)
Still never been, not sure I ever will. I'm sure it's good, just not my cup of tea.
Best Breakfast: The Corner, because we were usually too hung over to even notice the wait.
you and everyone else. It's still there; original owner died some time ago but it never ceased. I hear it was less-than-good for a time but a couple of hopeful reports of late.
Best Barbeque: Bryant's and BB's lawnside(Ed) Hayward's (Melanie)
All still going strong. Most of the locals seem to prefer LC's and/or Oklahoma Joe's now. I try to stay out of the fray - emotions run too strong and what's the point in arguing?
Best Mexican: El Taquito
The original has been closed for some time. La Fonda el Taquito was opened by some of the next generation, originally on 39th, now at Summit & SWBlvd. I still like it (see my picks).
Best Italian: Minsky's (of all the things we miss the most the prime-cut pizza tops the list...we still have dreams about it and I try very hard to explain it to true Italian pizzaleros, but they don't get it)
gotta side with the Italians here. I've never "gotten" Minsky's but there are still several of them around so clearly it's my loss.
Best Chinese: (who cares, no one goes to KC for Chinese, get a plant ticket to SF or NYC)
no argument
Best Ice Cream: Foo's Fabulous Frozen Custard in Brookside
hope someone else can help here...no clue, sorry.

Best Cheeseburger: Winstead's

Best French Fries: who cares...lets talk about onion rings!
I'm listening!
Best restaurant on the Kansas side (if your best restaurant pick was on the MO side): Sorry, everything always felt plastic on the Kansas side except maybe Tatsu's
Tatsu is still going strong and has KC Toasters in Westport now (do a quick search for more info). There are some things happening on the left side of State Line now, though.
Best restaurant on the Missouri side (if your best restaurant pick was on the KS side): the Classic Cup (the original in Westport not that ridiculous thing on the plaza...back when when Dan and Charlene ran it, Chad Zimmerman made coffee and Fred Fry did the dishes)
Amen, bro. Charlene works at the podium at Lidia's these days. The "ridiculous thing" is still on the Plaza, defying the odds. Oh, how I miss the coffee (and later the food and the wine selection). Sigh.

What about??????????????????????

Best soul food: Ruby's
gone, but Three Friends is still going
Best fried chicken: Strouds
original closed 12/31/05 for street widening; still looking for another location. There is one up north (on the way to Liberty) but...
Best Bar of all time: Club Royal, also important were Jimmy's Jigger and Milton's
Club Royal I don't know; Jimmy's is kinda still going (it's the front end of Jazz now). Sadly Milton's has been gone for some time. It was immortalized in a number of ways, though, most eloquently in a book about KC Jazz by our own Chuck Haddix (with Frank Driggs).

You are seriously challenging my ability to cope with quotes, amico, but thanks for checking in. Spero che tutto va bene.

M.F.K. Fisher

Interesting to see how much the Kansas City area has changed/expanded since 13 years ago. It'll be exciting to see what people will write on egullet for "the best of kansas city" 10 years from now.

BTW, I think Foo's is still going, A friend brought some ice cream over about 2 1/2 years ago and it was good, she made me make bananas foster... I refused to but that ice cream was calling my name!

When i came into kc for 2 nights, that morning before I went back to denver, I had a steak n' egg sandwich with a side of hashbrowns, and a Cherry Limeade... how can you pass up the limeade with the scoop of lime sherbet on top? Hashbrowns were nice and soft and all broken apart with just a small amount of shredded potato crisped up... it probably sounds strange but I love it when its like that!

On another note, has anyone been to Jun's Japanese Restaurant lately? Durring his retirement, Jun appeared on busy nights behind the sushi bar but now he lives in Japan. One of the nicest guys I ever met.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

On another note, has anyone been to Jun's Japanese Restaurant lately? Durring his retirement, Jun appeared on busy nights behind the sushi bar but now he lives in Japan.  One of the nicest guys I ever met.

this is the latest news that i have heard about jun's.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Interesting to see how much the Kansas City area has changed/expanded since 13 years ago. It'll be exciting to see what people will write on egullet for "the best of kansas city" 10 years from now.

I'm sure your name will be somewhere on the list. :smile:

On another note, has anyone been to Jun's Japanese Restaurant lately? Durring his retirement, Jun appeared on busy nights behind the sushi bar but now he lives in Japan.  One of the nicest guys I ever met.

No, and we actually had plans to go 3 nights ago but schedules did not allow.

I love Jun. One of my favorite memories is of him leaving the restaurant to give us a ride home on NYE. We had tried to do the right thing - had a friend drop us off and take a cab home. After two hours of waiting for said cab, Jun took pity on us and piled us in his car. Now that's what I call service! He also loves golf and would always regale us with tales about the putt he just missed, etc. And he introduced us to a rather bawdy sushi "dish" but modesty prevents me from elaborating. That's the kind of guy he is, though. A very sweet man with an ornery little boy living inside of him. :biggrin:

M.F.K. Fisher

Best of Kansas City, Round 2 (per Moosnsqrl's request with some of my own added) (I don't want it to end!!!!) :smile:

Best Hot Dog:

Best Pizza:

Best Felafel:

Best Mediterranean:

Most romantic restaurant (Fitting for today, huh?!):

Best Bar:

Best Brunch:

Best Soul Food:

Best Onion Rings:

Best Interior Decor at a Restaurant:

Best View at a Restaurant:

Best Mainstream Grocery Store:

Best Specialty Shop:

Again, feel free to add your own categories!!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Best of Kansas City, Round 2 (per Moosnsqrl's request with some of my own added)  (I don't want it to end!!!!)   :smile:

Best Pizza: A relic from the past, I know, but I have to admit that the yeasty thin crust of Godfather's bewitched me from the age of 5. Kelso's as well does a nice yeasty thin crisp crust. Not a huge pizza eater any more, so I can't fairly comment beyond these...

Best Felafel: Disappointingly, I can't think of a single one that measures up... if anyone has any suggestions, would love to hear/eat!

Best Mediterranean: Ditto (see "Best Felafel"). Does anyone know of ANY Morroccan establishments? I'm dying for some besteeya and tagines!!

Most romantic restaurant (Fitting for today, huh?!): My sense of romance is not like the normal crowd... can't think of one, actually.

Best Onion Rings: ?

Best Interior Decor at a Restaurant: Lidia's. Especially if you know what it used to look like. Pierpont's and Capital Grill aren't bad either.

Best View at a Restaurant: Hmmm, I'm generally not one for looking out the window when I eat - so the only places that I can think of that actually have a view are the American, Piropos, Skies, and whatever's at the top of the Westin Crown Center. Of these, I'd give it to the Skies - American if it's Christmas-time.

Best Mainstream Grocery Store: Can't say I have one... most of the decent ones are OVERPRICED, imho.

Best Specialty Shop: Better Cheddar for food, Pryde's for wares (although I would have to say both can be unreasonably bit pricey). Incidentally, you can find some pretty good stuff at the World Market (Westport).

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Best Hot Dog: Not a huge hotdog fan; I don't believe I've ever ordered one in a restaurant, although I was watching Food Network this weekend and everyone's favorite, Rachael Ray, :wink: showed the "Feenie Weenie" at Feenie's restaurant in Vancover and it looked pretty darn good!

Best Pizza: Waldo's... love the whole wheat crust! (I do like Papakeno's too though... tough choice!)

Best Felafel: I've never even had felafel!!! :shock:

Best Mediterranean: The Mad Greek in Lawrence... did we determine if that was cheating or not?! I love the Flaming Cheese!

Most romantic restaurant (Fitting for today, huh?!): I found Cafe Trio to be pretty romantic, but I think any restaurant can be romantic on the right night! :wink:

Best Bar: Haven't been to very many, and the ones I have been to have been chosen by the rest of the group, and sorry to say, Fred P. Otts is not going to make my list for anything... shoot!! It just did! :angry:

Best Brunch: So far, Yahooz, but haven't been to very many yet. Funny thing is, this is probably my favorite meal! What's that about?!?

Best Soul Food: Haven't really tried any yet, although I designed a Soul Food restaurant my final year at K-state!

Best Onion Rings: I'm going to cheat on this one... Bo Bo's in Topeka... no contest!

Best Interior Decor at a Restaurant: Yia Yia's or Pachamama's, thus far

Best View at a Restaurant: Piropo's

Best Mainstream Grocery Store: Hen House at 135th and Metcalf... it's always clean, and I love the way all the produce is lined up just so!

Best Specialty Shop: The Better Cheddar, but does anyone else have a hard time spending $30 on a wedge of cheese? I have to walk away from the register while my boyfriend pays! (And I know, I know, that's not even that much in comparison!)

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

... i have honestly no idea what you mean by the statement - i'm intrigued. 

u.e.

Let me try this: I think that the ultimate margarita (formerly served at Cafe Las Bellas Artes, Elmhurst, IL--RIP) should taste something akin to a very dry Beefeter martini, up, no salt--not Minute Maid lime-ade.

And I'm too opinionated to start a thread on this...I'll just drop hints and remain inscrutable. :cool:

As for steaks--I agree that a real dry-aged steak is very hard to find because it is so difficult to handle the meat properly--a sprightly crust of mold can lead to spoilage if you don't know what you're doing.

Add me to the "no idea what you mean" list. Is this the Twilight Zone forum or . . . . .?

I'm afraid I didn't get the reference here and thought this was accidentally posted to the wrong thread. Hence my 'twilight zone' comment. I missed a couple of posts and didn't make the leap from best of KC to margaritas in IL. My apologies, Tracy K. :shock:

M.F.K. Fisher

have yet to find a truly impressive indian, thai and ethiopian (i know it's not asian, but is one of my favorite ethnic cuisines) place in kansas city.  on the upside - i highly recommend pho 97 at 2605 independence avenue for some of the best vietnamese food around!  (near the cross-street prospect).  it's not the best neighborhood for late night dining, but i'll swear by any of their fortifying pho's and their crispy fried quail is irresistable!

u.e.

re: my post from up-thread.

thanks to moosnsqurl and chapin, i've got a new place to try!! blue nile?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Kansas City should run a "Restaurant Week" ...They do this in Denver, they have city wide restaurants run a special for $52.80 per couple (26.40 for one) and you recieve a 3 or 4 course meal... some of the places that sell cheaper food usually run up to 5 courses like Rock Bottom Brewery gives a free 12 oz glass of a different type of beer on tap per course.

Maybe The Kansas City Originals and even just all of the restaurants in Kansas City should run something similar, it's very nice because they take what would be the weakest week in restaurant sales into one of the bussiest weeks of the year, in fact some say it's the bussiest week in the restuarant business. Every restaurant is just packed with reservations and walk ins. It's an amazing thing.

$26 can buy you one of the cheaper entrees at 40 Sardines... think about getting 3 courses with that price!

It's also a great way to get those people who wouldn't normally go out and possibly get them hooked in with quality food.

Edited by JWest (log)

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Kansas City should run a "Restaurant Week" ...They do this in Denver, they have city wide restaurants run a special for $52.80 per couple (26.40 for one) and you recieve a 3 or 4 course meal... some of the places that sell cheaper food usually run up to 5 courses like Rock Bottom Brewery gives a free 12 oz glass of a different type of beer on tap per course.

Maybe The Kansas City Originals and even just all of the restaurants in Kansas City should run something similar, it's very nice because they take what would be the weakest week in restaurant sales into one of the bussiest weeks of the year, in fact some say it's the bussiest week in the restuarant business. Every restaurant is just packed with reservations and walk ins. It's an amazing thing.

$26 can buy you one of the cheaper entrees at 40 Sardines... think about getting 3 courses with that price!

It's also a great way to get those people who wouldn't normally go out and possibly get them hooked in with quality food.

great thought jwest, but i think it's already been thunk... here... :wink:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Best of Kansas City, Round 2 (per Moosnsqrl's request with some of my own added)  (I don't want it to end!!!!)  :smile:

Best Hot Dog:

Relish

Best Pizza:

d'Bronx

Best Felafel:

Al Habashi

Best Mediterranean:

Rumi

Most romantic restaurant (Fitting for today, huh?!):

Anthony's (I know, I know...it's a personal thing)

Best Bar:

Lidia's, Melbee's and Pierpont's (although not really "bars")

Best Brunch:

???

Best Soul Food:

Three Friends (although it's been a long, long time)

Best Onion Rings:

Best Interior Decor at a Restaurant:

40 Sards, 1924, Harry's Country Club (!)

Best View at a Restaurant:

The American

Best Mainstream Grocery Store:

Cosentino's Brookside

Best Specialty Shop:

Bella Napoli, Whole Foods

M.F.K. Fisher

The only thing I can think to add right now re: best onion rings-

And these no longer exist in KC, so it does absolutely no good for anyone, but when I was a kid I remember going to a place called Coco's in north KC. Don't remember a thing about the quality of most of the food, but they had the biggest, most amazing onion rings. Totally huge, a good three inches tall and fried with what we'd think of as panko bread crumbs today. Think Sonic onion rings as far as cut and flavor, only five times bigger.

I think Coco's was a chain, because I recall there being one in Phoenix when I lived there.

Favorite onion rings today....not sure, depends on my mood.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

And these no longer exist in KC, so it does absolutely no good for anyone, but when I was a kid I remember going to a place called Coco's in north KC.  Don't remember a thing about the quality of most of the food, but they had the biggest, most amazing onion rings.  Totally huge, a good three inches tall and fried with what we'd think of as panko bread crumbs today.  Think Sonic onion rings as far as cut and flavor, only five times bigger. 

I think Coco's was a chain, because I recall there being one in Phoenix when I lived there. 

That's why I left it blank. I hope someone posts about some that they're excited about.

M.F.K. Fisher

And these no longer exist in KC, so it does absolutely no good for anyone, but when I was a kid I remember going to a place called Coco's in north KC.  Don't remember a thing about the quality of most of the food, but they had the biggest, most amazing onion rings.  Totally huge, a good three inches tall and fried with what we'd think of as panko bread crumbs today.  Think Sonic onion rings as far as cut and flavor, only five times bigger. 

That's why I left it blank. I hope someone posts about some that they're excited about.

as did i... so i'm not alone? sigh... i haven't had a good onion ring in YEARS...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

as did i... so i'm not alone? sigh... i haven't had a good onion ring in YEARS...

u.e.

Well I know it's a long drive for onion rings, but I'm serious, the one's at BoBo's in Topeka are the best ever! However, they aren't thick like the ones Zeemanb describes, so maybe they're not quite what you are looking for. They are light, crispy, and you can bite them in half without losing all of your onion... very important factor for me!

As with most things, this onion ring topic can be broken down even further according to style........ You've got the common version with the crusty shell, similar to Sonic, Jack Stack, etc. Then there's the beer battered ring (75th St. Brewery), the nearly tempura-like ring (can't think of a location, but similar to the chicken fingers at Houstons), the finely sliced onion ring "loaf" like the one at KC Masterpiece (I do like those, but not enough to eat at KC Masterpiece) and finally what I think of as the "eat it before you wear it" rendition. That is the one that finally came to mind when thinking about the best of KC……I think they have a fantastic version at Stroud's. I'm assuming the remaining location up north has them, but from what I remember they are really, really flaky with a ton of pepper in the batter. It's a challenge to get them in your mouth before you're wearing fried batter on your shirt. Nearly impossible to get ketchup on them. Incredible. I think they are similar at the Corner Café in Riverside. So there you go. Go and enjoy some for me.

To further my angst, I just remembered the long-gone Paul Bunyan Burger joint down on 18th and Parallel in the 'dotte.....their onion rings were unlike anything I'd seen before or since. They made them fresh, in a way that was more like making funnel cakes than onion rings. Similar to a beer batter, tons of it, with very thin slices of onion. You could easily take a bite and get no onion, but the batter was great. Again, very much like a savory funnel cake.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

[re: onion rings] i'm much more of the beer-battered persuasion... although i could changed by a more tempting offer - if that's to be had.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I can count on something in the Heartland forum to take me back just about every time I visit.

They don't make 'em the way they do at Winstead's, not here in Philly or anywhere else on the East Coast, the chains excluded. This is the land of the fat hamburger (not to be confused with Fatburger or Fattburger).

And I remember Minsky's Pizza Joint when it was new. Is it still at 51st and Main?

Not to mention the "Bryant's or Gates?" theological arguments in the Star newsroom (which I already know is not the same big wide open space it was when I was a copy boy and intern there). I see that the pantheon has expanded greatly since those days. I still swear by Gates' sauce, though, and ever since Ollie surrendered the recipe to Martha Stewart, I make my own.

I also remember when there was still a Woolworth's where Saks Fifth Avenue now sits on the Plaza. Wooloworth's lunch counters ruled in the "everyday restaurant" category.

In any event, I'm taking notes. I hope to be back in town this spring for my 30th high school reunion (Pembroke-Country Day, Class of '76), and I'll need to know some good places to eat.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

And I remember Minsky's Pizza Joint when it was new.  Is it still at 51st and Main?

Yes, and there is one in the City Market as well.

. . . which I already know is not the same big wide open space it was when I was a copy boy and intern there).  I see that the pantheon has expanded greatly since those days.  I still swear by Gates' sauce, though, and ever since Ollie surrendered the recipe to Martha Stewart, I make my own.

I'm with you. I stay out of the fray when everyone starts the 'Gates has gone downhill' talk because I really didn't go there much anyway, but that sauce! I saw the Ollie episode, too, and thought it was funny when she started to add ingredients in the wrong order (or before stirring the last one in or something) and he corrected her. Leave it to Ollie to make Queen Martha act like a scolded toddler.

In any event, I'm taking notes.  I hope to be back in town this spring for my 30th high school reunion (Pembroke-Country Day, Class of '76), and I'll need to know some good places to eat.

Aha, so you're a preppy! :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

As with most things, this onion ring topic can be broken down even further according to style........ You've got the common version with the crusty shell, similar to Sonic, Jack Stack, etc.  Then there's the beer battered ring (75th St. Brewery), the nearly tempura-like ring (can't think of a location, but similar to the chicken fingers at Houstons), the finely sliced onion ring "loaf" like the one at KC Masterpiece (I do like those, but not enough to eat at KC Masterpiece) and finally what I think of as the "eat it before you wear it" rendition.  That is the one that finally came to mind when thinking about the best of KC……I think they have a fantastic version at Stroud's.  I'm assuming the remaining location up north has them, but from what I remember they are really, really flaky with a ton of pepper in the batter.  It's a challenge to get them in your mouth before you're wearing fried batter on your shirt.  Nearly impossible to get ketchup on them.  Incredible.  I think they are similar at the Corner Café in Riverside.  So there you go.  Go and enjoy some for me. 

To further my angst, I just remembered the long-gone Paul Bunyan Burger joint down on 18th and Parallel in the 'dotte.....their onion rings were unlike anything I'd seen before or since.  They made them fresh, in a way that was more like making funnel cakes than onion rings.  Similar to a beer batter, tons of it, with very thin slices of onion.  You could easily take a bite and get no onion, but the batter was great. Again, very much like a savory funnel cake.

I was always fond of the Rings at Eaton's, 10th and Kansas Avenue. Similar to the Paul Bunyan model, almost a breading rather than crispy like fried chicken.

Maybe it's a KCK thing.

I am headed to KC next weekend for my husband's grandmother's 90th birthday and my biggest regret is that we'll only be there for two dinners and two lunches. We are trying to convince the family to do Jack Stack carryout for the birthday dinner (gram doesn't go out much anymore). I love thier brisket, burnt ends, and cheezy corn. I have to get fries from Oklahoma Joe's, and I think we're going to Lidia's for dinner Friday night. I also want to try LC's - so we will probably have to fit that into Saturday's lunch. But my husband will surely want to go to Winsted's too. There are way too many good restaurants for the 48 hours we will be in town!