• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of Kansas City

Katie Nell

I forgot the one i want to vist the most is Kruase's

:laugh: Not Tellin! :raz:

wait - what aren't you tellin'? :unsure:

if it's the location of this highly popular murray's, then you're evil!! :laugh:

u.e.

Yea I'm still a newb at replying on posts. Murry's is down the street from us in westport by Californo's (sp?) She opens back up in March. She's great. Dave my sous is on a call list for some of her flavors that she does from time to time.

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

Yea I'm still a newb at replying on posts. Murry's is down the street from us in westport by Californo's (sp?) She opens back up in March. She's great. Dave my sous is on a call list for some of her flavors that she does from time to time.

newb - thanks for the info! will HAVE to swing by westport post-March.... must I wait???? :sad: Perhaps, I could get added to her (who's "her?" - I assumer not "Murray" :laugh: ) call list all the time!! :raz:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

newb - thanks for the info! will HAVE to swing by westport post-March.... must I wait???? :sad: Perhaps, I could get added to her (who's "her?" - I assumer not "Murray" :laugh: ) call list all the time!! :raz:

Yea, Murry is her last name

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

Best Ice Cream: Murray's (Bring back the carrot cake ice cream!)

um, YUM!! where's murray's and why did he stop serving that divine-sounding treat? shameful!! :laugh:

Best Cheeseburger: Town Topic

details please? not familiar.

cheers.

u.e.

Super crispy greesy and thin patties, you gotta get the double or triple atleast! My favorite is griddled onions and cheese only. Then I dip it in Ketchup for every bite. :biggrin: Oh and there breakfast food always hits the spot. I think their main busy hours are like after midnight but usually open throughout the day.

Town Topic is near by Elbow's Chocolates and 1924. I want to say its a block up from Southwest Blvd on Broadway... Here's the address:

2021 Broadway St

Kansas City, MO 64108

A little Review Guide for you too:

http://cityguide.aol.com/kansascity/entert...?sbid=111822051

There another one on the kansas side I think , I forgot where though.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Anyone have a favorite frozen custard place?

Ive had Foo's, Culver's, and of course Sheridans. I confess to being a huge fan of the Turtle Sundae at any frozen custard place and the Razzle Dazzle (Raspberries with the juice and hot fudge) at Sheridans.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Super crispy greesy and thin patties, you gotta get the double or triple atleast! My favorite is griddled onions and cheese only. Then I dip it in Ketchup for every bite. :biggrin:  Oh and there breakfast  food always hits the spot. I think their main busy hours are like after midnight  but usually open throughout the day.

not that i don't like fat burgers - the "super greasy and thin patties" tempt me more, hence my favor of winstead's cheeseburger - but it sounds like t.t. might give winstead's a run for their money in my tummy!

Town Topic is near by Elbow's Chocolates and 1924. I want to say its a block up from Southwest Blvd on Broadway... Here's the address:

2021 Broadway St

Kansas City, MO 64108

i know where that is!! it sits alone - like an oasis of grease - i always s(mell)ee it driving on broadway. :smile:

thanks jwest!

cheers.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Katie, why don't you open up the Chinese Category and make it "Best Asian"?

katie, if you don't mind, i'll jump in:

Best Asian: my vote stays the same: Jen Jen's

Chef CAG, what is  your sous chef Dave's choice for favorite Mexi place?

pray, do tell! wouldn't mind knowing what his "reserve" flavors at murray's are!

:raz:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Anyone have a favorite frozen custard place?

Ive had Foo's, Culver's, and of course Sheridans. I confess to being a huge fan of the Turtle Sundae at any frozen custard place and the Razzle Dazzle (Raspberries with the juice and hot fudge) at Sheridans.

Ah... I think we can be friends JWest!!! TRY TWISTERS!!! I love their concrete with brownie chunks, chocolate custard, pecans, and caramel... TO DIE FOR!!! Have you tried the Caramel Pretzel Crunch at Sheridan's? It's awesome too!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Yeah, I probably should have done that to begin with... carry on... Best Asian anyone? :smile:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Super crispy greesy and thin patties, you gotta get the double or triple atleast! My favorite is griddled onions and cheese only. Then I dip it in Ketchup for every bite. :biggrin:   Oh and there breakfast  food always hits the spot. I think their main busy hours are like after midnight  but usually open throughout the day.

not that i don't like fat burgers - the "super greasy and thin patties" tempt me more, hence my favor of winstead's cheeseburger - but it sounds like t.t. might give winstead's a run for their money in my tummy!

2021 Broadway St

Kansas City, MO 64108

i know where that is!! it sits alone - like an oasis of grease - i always s(mell)ee it driving on broadway. :smile:

thanks jwest!

cheers.

u.e.

YES!! I've been wanting to try it so bad... I knew they must have good cheeseburgers, I just knew it!

Anyone been to Thai Place? I hear its really good.

yes, been there. can't say that i was that impressed... although, i will say, that if you like truly spicy food - you might appreciate it for that aspect...

have yet to find a truly impressive indian, thai and ethiopian (i know it's not asian, but is one of my favorite ethnic cuisines) place in kansas city. on the upside - i highly recommend pho 97 at 2605 independence avenue for some of the best vietnamese food around! (near the cross-street prospect). it's not the best neighborhood for late night dining, but i'll swear by any of their fortifying pho's and their crispy fried quail is irresistable!

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I think it's tied for best Thai in KC (with Thai Paradise, f/k/a Willy's on Grand @ 17th-ish). I still have to travel to truly satisfy my Thai cravings.

[not KC but as an aside, Joe, one of my favorites is on Pearl Street in Boulder, though. Not that far from you.]

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Best Everyday Restaurant (i.e. cheap and easy): The grocery store, then home.

Best All-around Restaurant (cost doesn't matter): bluestem [subject to changed Tuesday morning if that collection doesn't rock Monday night :raz: Zeemanb prays, I menace :wink: ]

Best Breakfast: Tienda Casa La Paloma

Best Barbeque: LC's (since Richard's has been gone)

Best Mexican: depends on what I want (Rudy's for fish tacos; La Fonda el Taquito for the Mexican Plate, salsa naranjada, and cactus salad; Taqueria Mexico for basic, non-specific fare; the little place in the back of the market at 17th & Summit for the "real" stuff). And, since we expanded from Chinese to Asian, I would ask to do likewise here since I love La Parilla in Lawrence for pan-Latino cuisine.

Best Italian: Lidia's

Best Chinese:

mainstream 'mericanized Chinese: New Peking, Red Fortune

pan-Asian: Blue Koi

Vietnamese: Saigon 39

Thai: Thai Paradise

Best Ice Cream: I can't tell you the last time I had any but, if the category can be stretched a bit, the watermelon paletas at Relish.

Best Cheeseburger: Westport Flea Market (soon to be a Hooter's :sad::angry:)

Best French Fries: Le Fou Frog

Best restaurant on the Kansas side (if your best restaurant pick was on the MO side): 40 Sards, Melbee's

Most want to try: Robert Krause's, Tim Doolittle's restaurant-to-be

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Best Everyday Restaurant (i.e. cheap and easy):  The grocery store, then home. 

you're no fun... :raz:

seriously, if i had known that option was available, i'd have picked the same!!

Best Cheeseburger:  Westport Flea Market (soon to be a Hooter's :sad::angry:)

sigh... tried to get in once at lunch, and the line was out the door and around the corner....

Most want to try:  Robert Krause's, Tim Doolittle's restaurant-to-be

not familiar - when did this pop up on the radar? fill me in!!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Ohh.... Winsteads! I haven't been in KC since the late 1970's and I STILL remember Winsteads....sooo good..I went there the night before I got married and it was the best part of the 20 year marriage..

Other good food memories include Butternut Bread (yes, can you believe it?) and RB Rice's Cheese Soup (what ever happened to that - is it still around?). We lived on Cherry Street - right behind Avala College and used to have pizza at the Pizza Paddle...bbq at Gates...such nice memories...

Sara

you're no fun...  :raz:

Sorry, it was that or leave it blank. I don't have one of those.

Most want to try:  Robert Krause's, Tim Doolittle's restaurant-to-be

not familiar - when did this pop up on the radar? fill me in!!

I don't know which you mean...Krause's (Lawrence) has been open for about a year, I think. They started out in their house (a fabulous old home in east Lawrence) but some bureaucrat decided there was a code violation so they moved into a space that was formerly bleu jacket. He's CIA-educated and they do a variety of tasting menus. He recently purchased another building nearby and plans to reno it, add a residential loft and move in probably this summer. In any case, it seats 50 and they don't plan any turn - you're there for the evening. I think the standard is a six-course but you can, I think, do more or less if you wish. I've got to get over there so I can give a real report.

Tim Doolittle has signed-on to chef at a new restaurant I *think* in the near north (Briarcliff, maybe?). I saw him last night and am kicking myself because I didn't go grill him for info, an ETA, format, etc.

M.F.K. Fisher

I don't know which you mean...Krause's (Lawrence) has been open for about a year, I think.  They started out in their house (a fabulous old home in east Lawrence) but some bureaucrat decided there was a code violation so they moved into a space that was formerly bleu jacket.  He's CIA-educated and they do a variety of tasting menus.  He recently purchased another building nearby and plans to reno it, add a residential loft and move in probably this summer.  In any case, it seats 50 and they don't plan any turn - you're there for the evening.  I think the standard is a six-course but you can, I think, do more or less if you wish.  I've got to get over there so I can give a real report.

Tim Doolittle has signed-on to chef at a new restaurant I *think* in the near north (Briarcliff, maybe?).  I saw him last night and am kicking myself because I didn't go grill him for info, an ETA, format, etc.

moosnsqrl.

absent on both. wow, is that a wealth of info! i look forward to visiting krause's... is there a website... oh, nevermind, i'll look them up online.

cheers.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

NOT AN OPTION!!! :angry:

NOT AN OPTION!!! :angry:

katie's thread, katie's rules!! :raz:

... buck up moosnsqurl - divulge where you slum for food on an average day!! :laugh: the rest of us did!

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

HELLO KANSAS CITY!!!

Ed and Melanie here. Long time KC locals, but have lived in Europe for many years now (since 1993).

Anyway, here are our "nostalgic" picks:

Best Everyday Restaurant (i.e. cheap and easy): Winstead's

Best All-around Restaurant (cost doesn't matter): Venue ( for Ed, because I cooked there) Stephenson's Apple Farm (for Melanie, because Ed didn't cook there)

Best Breakfast: The Corner, because we were usually too hung over to even notice the wait.

Best Barbeque: Bryant's and BB's lawnside(Ed) Hayward's (Melanie)

Best Mexican: El Taquito

Best Italian: Minsky's (of all the things we miss the most the prime-cut pizza tops the list...we still have dreams about it and I try very hard to explain it to true Italian pizzaleros, but they don't get it)

Best Chinese: (who cares, no one goes to KC for Chinese, get a plant ticket to SF or NYC)

Best Ice Cream: Foo's Fabulous Frozen Custard in Brookside

Best Cheeseburger: Winstead's

Best French Fries: who cares...lets talk about onion rings!

Best restaurant on the Kansas side (if your best restaurant pick was on the MO side): Sorry, everything always felt plastic on the Kansas side except maybe Tatsu's

Best restaurant on the Missouri side (if your best restaurant pick was on the KS side): the Classic Cup (the original in Westport not that ridiculous thing on the plaza...back when when Dan and Charlene ran it, Chad Zimmerman made coffee and Fred Fry did the dishes)

What about??????????????????????

Best soul food: Ruby's

Best fried chicken: Strouds

Best Bar of all time: Club Royal, also important were Jimmy's Jigger and Milton's

Any of these places still around???

... i have honestly no idea what you mean by the statement - i'm intrigued. 

u.e.

Let me try this: I think that the ultimate margarita (formerly served at Cafe Las Bellas Artes, Elmhurst, IL--RIP) should taste something akin to a very dry Beefeter martini, up, no salt--not Minute Maid lime-ade.

And I'm too opinionated to start a thread on this...I'll just drop hints and remain inscrutable. :cool:

As for steaks--I agree that a real dry-aged steak is very hard to find because it is so difficult to handle the meat properly--a sprightly crust of mold can lead to spoilage if you don't know what you're doing.