• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of Kansas City

Katie Nell

I want to know what your picks are for my "Best of" list. Maybe I'll learn some new ones and maybe you will too!

Best Everyday Restaurant (i.e. cheap and easy):

Best All-around Restaurant (cost doesn't matter):

Best Breakfast:

Best Barbeque:

Best Mexican:

Best Italian:

Best Chinese:

Best Ice Cream:

Best Cheeseburger:

Best French Fries:

Best restaurant on the Kansas side (if your best restaurant pick was on the MO side):

Best restaurant on the Missouri side (if your best restaurant pick was on the KS side):

Feel free to add your own categories... obviously, I picked some of my favorites! :wink: I will weigh in here in a little bit... I need to think on it a bit!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I can add value to a few of these, with my "best of" really being a snapshot of the past six months or so....... if I don't eat it that often, I didn't add it.....

Best Everyday Restaurant (i.e. cheap and easy): Combining w/Best Italian.....it's definitely not cheap, but Lidia's has been my "go-to" restaurant for several years now. Stacey is a fantastic server, the wine prices usually very reasonable, the calamari/escarole/corona bean dish is world class, and the sorbets and house infused grappas are a ton o' fun. I'll throw Bamboo Hut and Waldo Pizza in this category as well.

Best All-around Restaurant (cost doesn't matter): big shock here......Bluestem!

Best Mexican: at this moment in time, Tienda Casa Paloma, but Rudy's Tenampa Taqueria is a longtime favorite.....amazing fish tacos.

Best Cheeseburger: Fritz's (18th St. KCK)

Best French Fries: Wyandotte BBQ (crinkle cut, double fried-double grease, wax paper bag, they do NOT travel)

Best restaurant on the Kansas side (if your best restaurant pick was on the MO side): I had a fantastic meal at 40 Sardines recently, but I'll go with Pachamama's for consistently great food over the past year.

Another category.......

Candidate for "most likely to make it into my regular rotation"..... Aixois

I started going there for lunch on the weekends when I had class at UMKC last semester, and I just really dig it. Not a new place, but I'd passed it over for a long time.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Best Everyday Restaurant (i.e. cheap and easy): If we are including Lawrence, Wheatfield's. If not, Waldo's Pizza is pretty good.

Best All-around Restaurant (cost doesn't matter): Pachamama's, if we're including Lawrence, 1924 Main, if we're not

Best Breakfast and Best Mexican: I'm combining these two, because for the last three Saturdays we've eaten at La Tienda Casa Paloma and we love it! We haven't eaten there for lunch or dinner yet, but their french toast is the best I've ever had. I think it's so comfy in there, and I love the owner. (Gracias!) :smile:

Best Barbeque: I haven't sampled it all, but so far Jack Stack is at the top of my list, for the cheesy corn alone.

Best Italian: Moosnsqrl has turned me on to Cupini's and I love it also, the people are so nice! We haven't even eaten at the restaurant yet, but we bought their Thanksgiving dinner, and we've sampled their fresh pasta and sauce at home. We also like Il Trullo, but have only been there once and it was a while ago.

Best Chinese: Golden Leaf... probably not traditional after reading ulterior epicure's blog about traditional Chinese, but still good! And it's in our 'hood!

Best Ice Cream: Twisters... I'm addicted! My boyfriend says they know him by name! :wink:

Best Cheeseburger: L.C.'s (not the bbq place, but the drive-in hamburger joint)

Best French Fries: Used to be Hannah's Bistro and I haven't found a replacement yet! :sad:

Best restaurant on the Kansas side (if your best restaurant pick was on the MO side): I still love to eat at Yia Yia's! Note to anyone who might read this and who might have some influence: BRING BACK THE APPLE PIE!!!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I want to know what your picks are for my "Best of" list.  Maybe I'll learn some new ones and maybe you will too!

Dang-it Katie, I'm trying to get some work done around here! But, you offer too tempting of a "break."

Best Everyday Restaurant (i.e. cheap and easy): Chipotle. I know, I know, it's a chain... but I love it and it fits the bill (no pun intended).

Best All-around Restaurant (cost doesn't matter): 40 Sardines

Best Italian: Lidia's followed closely by Garrozzo's.

Best Barbeque: Sorry, I like southern vinegar-based bbq... Kansas City bbq is just two sloppy and sweet for me... :shock:

Best Chinese: Yikes, you're going to make me pick? Jen Jen's.

Best Ice Cream: For lack of better, the gelatos at Sweet Guy in Parkville.

Best Cheeseburger: Winstead's

Most Want To Vist: Starker's Reserve

Best restaurant on the Missouri side (if your best restaurant pick was on the KS side): bluestem

Best Steak: Morton's tied with the Golden Ox (Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum!)

[edited to enable link]

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Best Cheeseburger:  L.C.'s  (not the bbq place, but the drive-in hamburger joint)

Oh, a BIG yes to L.C.'s! :raz:

Another category.......

Candidate for "most likely to make it into my regular rotation".....  Aixois 

Zeemanb, we might just rotate onto the same evening here sometime soon! :biggrin: Agreed.

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Best steak in the universe: Plaza III

Best barbecue--I really love Gates ("HI MAY I HELP YOUUUUU?????"), but a good friend and area native swears by Arthur Bryant's. Either sauce is delish; no rib tips or cheap cuts at either place. (And if you think KC barbecue is too sweet, Chicago has the corner on sweet food, especially things that should not be sweet.)

Best steak in the universe:  Plaza III

so many people say that... i've really tried to like the plaza iii, but everytime i go, i'm really disappointed with their meat. it even tastes wet-aged to me (and poorly done at that)... with all of the pleased customers like you, tracy, i must be having really off-experiences (or at least i hope so!!) :sad:

(And if you think KC barbecue is too sweet, Chicago has the corner on sweet food, especially things that should not be sweet.)

tracy, perhaps we should move this discussion off-forum... but can you elaborate? i'm curious what you mean by this. shoot me a p.m., i'm curious.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

so many people say that... i've really tried to like the plaza iii, but everytime i go, i'm really disappointed with their meat. it even tastes wet-aged to me (and poorly done at that)... with all of the pleased customers like you, tracy, i must be having really off-experiences (or at least i hope so!!) :sad:

(And if you think KC barbecue is too sweet, Chicago has the corner on sweet food, especially things that should not be sweet.)

tracy, perhaps we should move this discussion off-forum... but can you elaborate? i'm curious what you mean by this. shoot me a p.m., i'm curious.

u.e.

Or, start a thread about it! :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

yes, tracy, please do. i would, but i have honestly no idea what you mean by the statement - i'm intrigued. so click away and start us a new thread, pretty please??

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Best Everyday Restaurant (i.e. cheap and easy): Peanut. I know, I know... but I love it. Especially the Cheese Fries.

Best All-around Restaurant (cost doesn't matter): Bluestem.

Best Italian: Lidia's. It's the best place for lunch during the week at the bar.

Best Barbeque: Fiorella's. Because they have good veg. options :unsure:

Best Chinese: I don't know enough. I like Andy's Wok, which probably means I know nothing.

Best Ice Cream: Murray's!

Best Cheeseburger Winstead's (I guess...)

Most Want To Vist: Tonic, American under (relatively) new chef

Best restaurant on the Kansas side: 40 Sardines

Best Steak: I would rather eat at Eden Alley.

This makes me miss Kansas City!

Edited by foodexile (log)

Time past and time future

What might have been and what has been

Point to one end, which is always present.

- T.S. Eliot

Best Everyday Restaurant (i.e. cheap and easy): Room 39

Best All-around Restaurant (cost doesn't matter): Bluestem

Best Italian: Lidia's

Best Barbeque: Arthur Bryants (Down Town)

Best Chinese: New Peking maybe?

Best Ice Cream: Murray's (Bring back the carrot cake ice cream!)

Best Cheeseburger: Town Topic

Most Want To Vist: Starker's Reserve, Re:verse (New Chef, New Menu), Tonic (now that its officially open)

Best restaurant on the Kansas side: 40 Sardines, Pachamamas

Best Steak: Bluestem's Waggyu

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

This makes me miss Kansas City!

Well, who "exiled" you to NY? Have you read Calvin Trillin? You should! He'll bring you back!! :laugh: Although, I note that you wouldn't be coming home for the same reasons he would (BBQ)...

Ulterior Epicure.

[edited to enable link]

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I want to know what your picks are for my "Best of" list.  Maybe I'll learn some new ones and maybe you will too!

Dang-it Katie, I'm trying to get some work done around here! But, you offer too tempting of a "break."

[edited to enable link]

Why do you think I started the list?!? (To avoid work!!!) :wink:

Most Want To Vist: Starker's Reserve, Re:verse (New Chef, New Menu), Tonic (now that its officially open)

Excellent category!

My Most Want to Visit: bluestem, Tonic, Lidia's, (thanks for adding a new one guys... there goes my paycheck!) American, Room 39... so many restaurants, so little time!

[edited to enable link]

Why do you think I started the list?!? (To avoid work!!!) :wink:

you caught me red-handed (or should i say, lazy handed!! :laugh: ). i've got a deadline to meet at the end of this month... which i'd like to finish a bit early so i can really enjoy my upcoming trip!! if i don't, how am i to report back on the wonderful food i'm planning on eating?!?!? :sad:

u.e.

[edited for personal grammar preferences :blush:]

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Best Ice Cream: Murray's (Bring back the carrot cake ice cream!)

um, YUM!! where's murray's and why did he stop serving that divine-sounding treat? shameful!! :laugh:

Best Cheeseburger: Town Topic

details please? not familiar.

cheers.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I've only been there once and it was a catered event, so I'm assuming that the quality would not be the same, but based on my experience, it was a flavorless, tough steak. And it was not even close to medium, which was what I had ordered! I do want to try it again though, and order off the menu. I'm sure they have different stuff for the catered events.

Edited by Katie Nell (log)

Am I Allowed to Add?!?!?!?!? I'm Kinda Biased :biggrin:

Best Everyday Restaurant (i.e. cheap and easy):Room 39

Best All-around Restaurant (cost doesn't matter):Besides my own :raz: Starker's

Best Breakfast:Room 39

Best Barbeque:No way to choose, Every one of them do 1 thing better than the others

Best Mexican: My Sous is gonna kill me......Rudy's

Best Italian:Il Trullo

Best Chinese: Don't know

Best Ice Cream: MURRY'S

Best Cheeseburger:Winsteads----GREASY BABY! I like my burgers thin and griddled. Some people like them cooked to temp

Best French Fries:Oklahoma Joe's

Best restaurant on the Missouri side (if your best restaurant pick was on the KS side): 40 Sard

:wink:

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

I posted this question upstream a while ago, but just really curious - where's Murray's? I'm ALWAYS looking for great ice cream... it's my only true sweet temptation...

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Am I Allowed to Add?!?!?!?!? I'm Kinda Biased :biggrin:

Best Everyday Restaurant (i.e. cheap and easy):Room 39

Best All-around Restaurant (cost doesn't matter):Besides my own :raz: Starker's

Best Breakfast:Room 39

Best Barbeque:No way to choose, Every one of them do 1 thing better than the others

Best Mexican: My Sous is gonna kill me......Rudy's

Best Italian:Il Trullo

Best Chinese: Don't know

Best Ice Cream: MURRY'S

Best Cheeseburger:Winsteads----GREASY BABY! I like my burgers thin and griddled. Some people like them cooked to temp

Best French Fries:Oklahoma Joe's

Best restaurant on the Missouri side (if your best restaurant pick was on the KS side): 40 Sard

:wink:

You are SO not allowed to vote. :raz: Don't you know you're supposed to have several aliases (ali-ae? alii? what the heck is the pluaral of alias?) so you can vote for yourself in stealth mode?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

You are SO not allowed to vote. :raz:  Don't you know you're supposed to have several aliases (ali-ae? alii? what the heck is the pluaral of alias?) so you can vote for yourself in stealth mode?

sounds vaguely familiar... :hmmm:

:laugh: u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I forgot the one i want to vist the most is Kruase's

:laugh: Not Tellin! :raz:

wait - what aren't you tellin'? :unsure:

if it's the location of this highly popular murray's, then you're evil!! :laugh:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account