• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

yerba mate

viaChgo

Just tried yerba mate for the first time yesterday. I liked it. The flavor is not my favorite among teas but it was still enjoyable. Maybe I wasn't sure what to expect. And it had a nice, pleasant caffeine kick that was different from a coffee or black tea.

Other than being from South America, I don't really know anything about yerba mate.

good stuff, kindof grassy tasting, but it depends on the brand and how old the tea it. it's traditionally drunk from a hollowed out gourd with a metal straw/filter contraption called a bombilla.

there were a lot of south american students at my college (Carnegie Mellon University) who would drink it. it's a communal drink that's passed and sipped from 1 gourd/bombilla. first time i saw people drinking it, i thought it was some sort of drug they were passing around.

it almost is. the caffiene kick knocks me over. forget that redbull crap. if i want to stay up late, gimme some mate!

My Peruvian colleagues at Syracuse University swear by yerba mate. They say it gives you the kick of caffeine without the ill effects, and that it's very healthful. Check out this site: http://yerbamate.cc/ The English is charming, as it is clearly a translation. Scroll down and look long the left for the link to The Yerba Mate Legend.

Lonnie

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers." --James Thurber

I didn't like yerba at first, but it's definitely grown on me. For a little more info, check out the article I wrote about it:

Confessions of a Reluctant Yerba Mate Drinker

http://www.epicurean.com/articles/yerba-mate.html

Great article--and very helpful tips about seasoning the cuia. I just got a cuia/bombilla from my sister-in-law and had no idea how to use them, but I knew SOMEONE on eGullet would know! (I absolutely heart this site.)

Regarding yerba mate, I really like Teavana's Mate Vana .

Edited by Philanthrophobe (log)

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"