• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day in NJ 2006

Rosie

Though I do like White Castles as much as the next guy/gal... I just can't see it being romantic as spending supper in front of a crackling fire with your sweetie.  My taste runs more like "The Restaurant" or "The Park Steakhouse" or "Stony Hill Inn" type of restaurants for a romantic supper for two.  We will be spending our belated VD or early Anniv. most likely at SOB - that being said!  :laugh: which I think I mentioned in an earlier posting... SOB is on top of my list so far!

It's funny that I called Chef Gary SOB about 4 times tonight....LOL Mike. PS: Hope WTC enjoyed it....

Hi Mike! HI White Truffle Chick! (What did you eat?!) Did Chef Gary throw any of those delicious hush puppies at Mike Feygin after being called an SOB?! Give us the dirt .... enquiring minds want to know! :biggrin::blink::laugh:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

YES, I certainly did! What a wonderful way to spend Valentine's night... the tasting menu at Silver Oak was incredible. Every course was unique yet so completely in keeping with Silver Oak's style. I have the menu sitting here next to me for those who are curious:

Amuse Bouche

Scallop Cevich in Rice Paper Basket (absolutely divine.)

First Course

Squab Breast Chartreuse with Blood Orange Sauce (I wished the Squab was a big as a Chicken so I could have feasted on this tasty dish)

Second Course

Roasted Monkfish with White Truffle Leeks

Third Course

Spinach Bouquet with Feta Torte and Parmesan Biscotti

Fourth Course

Lamb Loin with Goat Cheese Herb Crust with Port Wine Fig Reduction

Dessert

Chocolate Oasis (though this looked good, we opted to change it up a bit... I went for the Lemon Pie and Purple Pirate the Apple Pie)

Chef Gary was hobnobbing in the dining room, Mike & his lovely wife were having their own little Valentine's feast at a corner table and all was right in the world.

a couple of observations/moments:

A woman sitting alone waiting for her ever-so-late Valentine to show up was offered a cocktail by a large group on the other side of the room. She noted her missing companion's Y chromosone and the way said chromosone prevented its owner from asking directions. A small cheer went up when the late one finally arrived.

A 'sour' looking person grousing about the squab, the wine, the table and everything else and walking out mid-course much to the dismay of this person's partner. Why is there always one in every crowd? This person looked like nothing that evening was going to please.

Having been told by Mike that the Chocolate Oasis was supposed to be an oasis because Chef Gary had worked on some psuedo-palm trees that just didn't set up right, so the desserts were presented sans palm trees. When Chef came out of the kitchen, he asked if there were any little suggestions we could give him. I told him everything was wonderful but perhaps next time the Chocolate Oasis could have a little palm tree in it. He said words to the effect of 'you're not going to believe this but I made palm trees and they didn't work out!' He went on to explain, never realizing that Mike had tipped us off to the palm trees. We were in hysterics...

Overall, a lovely evening. Can't wait for your Mardi Gras celebration in two weeks! See you then... table 23.

WTC

Updated menu:

Veal pounded paper thin covered in a porcini mushroom and shallot reduction

Fresh green bean with toasted hazelnut slivers

Hearts of iceberg salad with bacon

Belgium chocolate dipped strawberries made after dinner

Washed down with a bottle of 2001 Tignanello and for dessert some Veuve Cliquot Grande Dame with the strawberries.

Afterwards I enjoyed a 1997 Cuban Partagas Corona

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

There's an article in today's Star Ledger about the White Castle promo...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I made the Steak Diane for Two that was in Mark Bittman's NYT column last week. It turned out great ... easy and so tender.

Not the most attractive dish I've seen, but it was very tasty.

~ Ken P.

Fortunately, I didn't have to do the restaurant routine this year, and I was able to cook a meal at home. Picked up some nice looking flounder from the Whole Foods in Montclair. I was going to pick up some scallions too, but I was told that while I was there they were unloading the truck and it would be about half an hour. A storeworker told me that I should continue to shop longer until they put out the scallions, and I think he was serious! I had to hit up the shop rite for a couple of ingredients...

I did a miso glazed flounder with wok sauted asparagus and sweet potatoes. I was pleased with the result, but I think that next time I'll use a thicker cut of fish to allow some of the sugar to better carmalize. I felt that the fish cooked too quickly, and overall the dish could have used some more time in the oven.

For dessert, I prepared some hand dipped chocolate covered strawberries.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

There's an article in today's Star Ledger about the White Castle promo...

Yeah, I pitched the idea to the Times, but as we publish the section on Sunday, it would have been old news.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Well, it was hardly an original idea...the Home News Tribune ran an almost-identical article, just interviewing different people.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

john and i were still full from lunch when he got home so just snacks - crackers and cheese, shrimp, some port and a bottle of nicholas feuillette rose.

unfortunately at 3am the stomach bug that is making the rounds and visited here...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We went to Rocca's Italian restaurant in GlenRock. They were having their regular menu so we figured it would be better than going out the regular holiday "prix fix" which most restaurants have.

My husband had the seafood salad and short ribs - both excellent as his plate looked spotless 2 minutes later. Mine on the other hand was pasta with sausage and broccoli rabe, the flavor was good but the sausage and broccoli rabe portions were skimpy, almost looked like leftovers. I found that they were less accomodating then on a regular night, maybe because it was a holiday - We have been to Rocca's many times and would recommend it. I think sometimes the holidays are not such a good time to go out to eat.

Deldino--Welcome to eGullet.  My experience has been that the holidays are NEVER a good time to eat out.

Rosie, I'm not breaking chops and this CERTAINLY isn't personal, but never is a strong word. What's the difference between Saturday service and holiday service?

Rosie, this isn't directed to you and having already been accused of whining, bitching and other infractions of egullet society, just the voice of a owner who's tired of generalities. Most here are knowledgeable about what is a good dining experience, I find it difficult that a slight few had a good dining experience and so many have been discouraged by holiday dining. I was busy and only had 3 meals of 170 returned to the kitchen, all for temp problems. You all know the places to go to have a holiday meal, they're the place with good reps and have been around for a while.

White Castle..........don't get it. Love em, but.....

Well, it was hardly an original idea...the Home News Tribune ran an almost-identical article, just interviewing different people.

Not an original idea, no. But I would have enjoyed writing it just the same and I'm sure I could have figured out a unique take on it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Not an original idea, no. But I would have enjoyed writing it just the same and I'm sure I could have figured out a unique take on it.

My point was that with the White Castle p.r. machine, I read two articles in two different papers that serve communities within a 35-mile radius of one another and they were practically identical. I don't know about anyone else, but I could care less if I saw ANOTHER one.

Oh, never mind.

Here's the new W.C. slogan

White Castle....

...when your colon has been a naughty boy.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

For many yrs. I've gone out on Valentine's Day and I can honestly say that I haven't had a negative experience. And I'm not saying it cause I'm in the restaurant business because this is the 1st yr. I've ever owned a rest. !! Maybe because we've always gone to great restaurants( which might have made a difference) many in nyc like One if by Land, March and Aureole to name a few, but this year we went to Serenade and had a very good meal. Do I expect everything to be absolutely perfect?? No, but not so bad that it would stop me from ever going out again on Vday. I like some of the special menus the rest. offer on Valentine's day that you normally can't get. I have to brag a bit but we only received very positive comments about our restaurant that nite as well!! :smile: If I stayed home and cooked it would surely have been a negative experience!! :wacko:

Lori

Deldino--Welcome to eGullet.  My experience has been that the holidays are NEVER a good time to eat out.

Rosie, I'm not breaking chops and this CERTAINLY isn't personal, but never is a strong word. What's the difference between Saturday service and holiday service?

Rosie, this isn't directed to you and having already been accused of whining, bitching and other infractions of egullet society, just the voice of a owner who's tired of generalities. Most here are knowledgeable about what is a good dining experience, I find it difficult that a slight few had a good dining experience and so many have been discouraged by holiday dining. I was busy and only had 3 meals of 170 returned to the kitchen, all for temp problems. You all know the places to go to have a holiday meal, they're the place with good reps and have been around for a while.

White Castle..........don't get it. Love em, but.....

In MY experience holidays are more hectic than Saturdays. I eat out so often that I prefer not to deal with the crowds and special priced menus on holidays. We also try to avoid dining out on Saturday nights when possible. For those that are not able to dine out as frequently a dinner out on a holiday can certainly be a special occasion. It's just not for me. I don't dine out on Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, Easter, or New Year's. If I go out on Christmas Day it is to a Chinese Restaurant. But be assured that I still love the food at An American Grill even if Lou claims that he is "not breaking chops." :wink:

White Castle--never had one.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie, you're NOT missing much by not eating white castles... they are the food equivalent of a "colon cleanser". Some call them slyders because they slide down the digestive track faster than Luge Olympiads! :blink::laugh: I do like them on the rare occasion that I want to avoid people in fine crowds or need to endure stomach cramps or gas till all wee hours of the morning! I think if you're UNDER a certain age they are a must but if you're over a certain age, use caution. :wacko: Stick to a place like SOB or Fortunato for better digestion ease!

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Just a quick addition/note... TODAY - I had "Slyders" for the first time in a very long time (1 year+) and it is only cause hubby went shopping at han ah reum today so it's 1 block away (the white castle in little ferry) and I hadn't eaten anything since yesterday. It's now after 11PM (8 hours later) and well... to be polite I'll say even my dogs look alarmed by the sounds coming from my side of my home-office. :laugh:

But they taste real good when they're hot and you can't eat just one, usually 4 or more work for most folks so - LONG live White Castle Slyders and the fun way they rumble through the intestinal tract!

Also see Wikpedia entry for White Castle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_&_Kuma...to_White_Castle

:raz:

We went to LaTour in Ridgewood the so called French American resturant. The crepes were cold and had a teaspoon of crab filing that tasted like iodine, followed by what was suppose to be short ribs, but the perfectly square meat with no bone was like pot roast. for $75 dollars pre-fix, we will never venture there again.

LimaBean :shock:

If you want great tasting French food without the fuss, hubby and I love this place, the woman who always is gracious seats us (I assume Madeline or the owner?) and the chef comes out and asks us for our comments when he has time! Chef Gaspard I think his name is but I am unsure...either way it's tasty!

http://www.madeleinespetitparis.com

:wub:

Chez Madeline Petit Paris 416 Tappan Rd. (*Paris ave?) Northvale

201 767-0063-it's nearby in Bergen County and about 15-20 min from Paramus!

We went there for Valentine's day last year or maybe the year before and it was real nice.