• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day in NJ 2006

Rosie

Let's bring up my old thread in which I really got hammered :hmmm:

Valentine's Day

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Let's bring up my old thread in which I really got hammered  :hmmm:

Valentine's Day

I think the definitive response on the old thread is from tommy... It's just not a good night to go out. Just too much commercialization and "special menus" . Just order in the flowers and the chocolate, and busy yourself with "indoor activities".

Let's bring up my old thread in which I really got hammered  :hmmm:

Valentine's Day

I think the definitive response on the old thread is from tommy... It's just not a good night to go out. Just too much commercialization and "special menus" . Just order in the flowers and the chocolate, and busy yourself with "indoor activities".

Haha! No doubt. We actually had a fantastic experience at Wish last Valentine's Day, but unfortunately the restaurant is now closed. I suppose the public didn't find the restaurant as appealing as I did...

I don't think I'll be doing the restaurant deal this year. Due to the hectic schedule and non-stop committments (ie "life") I think I'll get a reprieve this year.

Are champagne and chocolate covered strawberries an acceptable Valentine's Day meal, or do I have to make an entree as well??? :raz:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

since v.d. is on a tuesday this year -and one of my days off from my real job - john and i are going out to lunch near where he works. one brisket wrap from Hot Rod's BBQ in Wharton coming up, please.

for dinner i am planning prosciutto wrapped u 10 shrimp, pan seared duck breasts and - depending on the weather - either a vegetable risotto or a salad to plate the sliced breasts on. there is a bottle of DVX sparkling wine to be chilled and john can have some new chocolate truffles for dessert.

then on to some of tommy's "indoor activities"

hitmanoo - the chocolate covered strawberries and the champagne is fine ...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

hitmanoo - the chocolate covered strawberries and the champagne is fine ...

If things go wrong, I'm quoting you!!! :wink:

Seeing that my wife is probably going to be working from 3-11pm on Valentine's Day, I think our culinary celebrations will be in the form of a discrete midnight snack at home. I'm thinking something similar to hitmanoo: Strawberries and melted chocolate (Mmm... now, the brand of chocolate will be left to another conversation...)

Jason

Are you going out?  Cooking? Tell us your dining plans.

We will be going to Serenade for Valentine's Day! (Not that we don't LOVE our restaurant!!) We just want to go to someplace different and we've never been there for dinner and we've heard lots of good things!

Lori

I was peeping at the big M but they are sold out for Valentine's Day. I wanted to do something with something.... like Dinner & Dinner Theater or Dinner & (GOOD) Comedy Show (most lately are not that funny) or Dinner & ________?

(Please, NO movies - ugh)

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated it does NOT necessarily have to be on VD and my hubby and I hate donating to hallmark and over-zealous business owners who mark up prices for that "special" day, since our Anniversary is 1 week after.

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I was peeping at the big M but they are sold out for Valentine's Day.  I wanted to do something with something.... like Dinner & Dinner Theater or Dinner & (GOOD) Comedy Show (most lately are not that funny) or Dinner & ________?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated it does NOT necessarily have to be on VD and my hubby and I hate donating to hallmark and over-zealous business owners who mark up prices for that "special" day, since our Anniversary is 1 week after.

Call me stupid :unsure: but what's the big M?? Thanks! :wink:

Lori

Dinner home. Menu to be updated

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I was peeping at the big M but they are sold out for Valentine's Day.  I wanted to do something with something.... like Dinner & Dinner Theater or Dinner & (GOOD) Comedy Show (most lately are not that funny) or Dinner & ________?

Call me stupid :unsure: but what's the big M?? Thanks! :wink:

"The Big "M"" Is the Meadowlands. :laugh:

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Are you going out?  Cooking? Tell us your dining plans.

For the same reason we eat out during the week, dining at home to avoid the crowds.

We will open a special wine, eat in the dining room not the kitchen.

What is on the menu? Will decide that on Tuesday.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Nothing to do with Picnic...but forever, we've had a Picnic! I grab some great cheese, some better wine, terrific bread, a bit of foie, some bittersweet chocolate, light a fire and call it a wonderful Valentine's day. It's a great plan. No busy restaurants, no overpriced overextended menus. Just a great time with no cooking, cause who wants to smell like a kitchen on v-day?

I'm on my own, this year. No sweetie to celebrate with :-(

But that doesn't mean I can't indulge..Bought some Champlain chocolates at Whole Foods when I was there on Friday, and had some Aztec hot chocolate, this afternoon in front of my roaring fireplace!

Aztec hot chocolate has cayenne pepper in it. A Spicy YUM!!

Edited by Cook456 (log)

My wife and I will be dropping the kids at my mother's house in Madison and dining at Scalini Fedeli in Chatham.I know most of you aren't big fans,but I happen to love Scalini. And my wife is always extra happy after we dine there. :wink:

My mother in law was read the valentine's day special/menu from Picnic and she kvelled how she'd love to try it - shame she lives in Maywood. I may order something good tomorrow though. Picnic's stuff looks mighty tempting... but if I'm feeling ambitious I may go out and enjoy some sunshine - we'll see! Jeff and I will celebrate it next week for our anniversary when the prices return to normal (or this weekend!) - I told him we must go to SOB for supper if not our anniversary for my birthday! YUM! :biggrin:

My wife decided that she wants to get take out from AHD, she refuses to dine out on holidays, and then go to the movies.

We've picked out the dogs we are having.

I think I am going to open a new Bonardo Familia Mayol Kaleido Bonardathat I just bought at Amanti Vino

Now for the movie. Something New or Firewall? I guess it would be good if my son and I would let my wife win on this one.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Jason,

Thanks for the thread on Valentine's Day at White Castle. I made reservations today. It was awfully tough because the hours are 5 to 8 and my wife works until 9 Mondays and Tuesdays. I was able to talk a bigshot from White Castle into extending the hours for us. I have about an hour and a half until we are seated. My wife has no idea where we are going. I did tell her that we will be going somewhere "casual". She said that she didn't care, "as long as you don't take me to another hot dog joint". I assured her that I won't be.

John the hot dog guy

Though I do like White Castles as much as the next guy/gal... I just can't see it being romantic as spending supper in front of a crackling fire with your sweetie. My taste runs more like "The Restaurant" or "The Park Steakhouse" or "Stony Hill Inn" type of restaurants for a romantic supper for two. We will be spending our belated VD or early Anniv. most likely at SOB - that being said! :laugh: which I think I mentioned in an earlier posting... SOB is on top of my list so far!