• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

So where does "vache" come into the picture? Lacking a French parent I only have my middle-school memories to work from, but that's the word I was taught for "cow."

Vache is female* as is English 'cow'. Boeuf is gender neutral.

*I don't mean grammatically feminine, although it's that too.

liuzhou

liuzhou

19 minutes ago, chromedome said:

So where does "vache" come into the picture? Lacking a French parent I only have my middle-school memories to work from, but that's the word I was taught for "cow."

Vache is female* as is English 'cow'. Boeuf is gender neutral.

*I don't mean grammatically female, although it's that too.

liuzhou

liuzhou

15 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Vache is female as is English 'cow'. Boeuf is gender neutral.

liuzhou

liuzhou

13 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Vache is female. Boeuf is gender neutral.