• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you brine potatoes?

Shalmanese

I'm going to be doing a "kettle style" potato chip appetizer. Anyone have any good brine ideas?

They make lots of potato chips in my area. Including lots of kettle style. Are you talking of brining the spuds before you fry them? I have never heard of this. Kettle style in Central PA does not include brining the potatoes. I would be fascinated to hear more about this technique.

I'm going to be doing a "kettle style" potato chip appetizer. Anyone have any good brine ideas?

They make lots of potato chips in my area. Including lots of kettle style. Are you talking of brining the spuds before you fry them? I have never heard of this. Kettle style in Central PA does not include brining the potatoes. I would be fascinated to hear more about this technique.

Well what I've done so far is to put the chips in a solution of kosher, garlic, basil, white pepper, cumin and white wine vinegar and about 3/4 of a 1/3pan of water. Let them sit in it for about 2 hours... and go right to the deep fryer. Pretty tasty.

Edited by John Woods (log)

Executive Chef

The Villa

Alpharetta, Georgia

Sweet potato with wasabi (not sure how but perhaps wasabi, rice vinegar, salt, and leave out the sugar since the sweet potatoes are already sweet).

Or, sweet potato with maple syrup, cayenne, and salt. Maybe with a pumpkin butter dip.

White potatoes with umeboshi plum vinegar and tamari with nori flakes sprinkled on right out of the fryer.

Sounds like a fun dilemma. I like the idea of brining them. How do you cook them?