• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ame at the St. Regis Hotel

a geek

@molto e: in S.F. we only had 3 nights and went on a rather short notice, so the upscale places like Quince, La Folie, Danko etc were all booked, of course.

Upon our late arrival in the first night, we just strolled to Little Italy and landed in a place called "Pinocchio" - but before someone yells "tourist trap!" now, I have to say that the homemade pasta was quite good (and I know a good pasta, since my mother-in-law is a sicilian homestyle-cooking expert...), especially for the price - in germany, homemade pasta is hard to find in restaurants and if you do, you gotta pay for it real good...

For the second night we had a reservation at Clementine. But the friends we met in S.F. (tourists, too) wanted to go chinese. So there was a last minute change to "R&G House", which was reccomended in a german gourmet magazine and got a good rating in Zagat (didn't have time to come here for reccomendation...).

It was quite allright. I cannot really judge chinese cuisine since most chinese places in germany are really horrible...

Would be interesting to see how the place is regarded here.

Highlights of our trip were "Providence" in L.A. (see my report in the Providence-thread) and "Atelier Joel Robuchon" in Las Vegas. The latter was a unique, if mixed experience with some truly unforgettable dishes, even though I find the menu overpriced. I'll write a report in the Robuchon-Vegas-thread these days.

"Border Grill" in L.A. was very good, too (good mexican food is hard to find in germany, too...)

I stop here since we Iam getting off topic in this Ame-thread...

(edited for spelling)

Edited by kai-m (log)

It's amazing how different the impressions of a restaurant can be from person to person.

Yes, and often from night to night. I would wonder about the "Sunday night factor" if it weren't for the fact that both docsconz and molto e had an excellent dinner there a while back on a Sunday.

Let me start by saying that Iam always a bit reluctant when it comes to hotel-restaurants, since it mostly has a negative effect on the atmosphere, even if the restaurant is as separated from the hotel as Ame.

I have to admit that I have similar distrusts about "hotel dining." However, I think that in the U.S., you can meet success if you are selective about where/when you dine in hotel restaurants. In my experience, San Francisco, NYC, Hawaii, and of course Las Vegas are pretty safe-bets (of course, on the higher-end). Then there are isolated hotel greats around the U.S. - for instance Mary Elaines' at the Phoenician in Phoenix, The Avenues at the Peninsula in Chicago and The Cosmos at the former Le Meridien in Minneapolis (I'm pretty sure it's no longer a Le Meridien).

It's just that you kind of "feel" that you are in a place that is part of a larger, "anonymus" kind of entity, as opposed to a small, intimate place where the chef is also the owner (hope you get my point despite my dodgy englisch).

... or even worse - like it's pre-fabbed cookie cutter chain-ish...

Apart from that I found the interiour design to dark and "cool" and impersonal.

Yes, I admit the interior did surprise me. I really didn't know what to expect (even with doc and molto's excellent picture report). I hadn't expected the restaurant to be so dark and "sleek."

Our waiter only seemed to warm up a little and became more talkative when he realized that we were seriously into food and not just some "noveau riches" guests from the hotel...

That's promising... how was the service throughout the rest of the dinner?

There was no amuse bouche (!!).

Not that I was particularly expecting an amuse, I have to admit I was a little surprised that none was served.

-Japanese Egg Custard “Chawan Mushi” with Maine Lobster, Sea Urchin and Mitsuba Sauce

This dish was very interesting at least, if not really to our taste. But okay, that is a personal gusto thing. But comparing it to the tasting menu-size of the dish which I saw on the picture above, ours was not half as well balanced: in relation to the the large size of the bowl we had far less, how shall I say this?, "to bite" in it.

Since I did the (above mentioned) tasting, I had been curious about the regular portion. What did you have in your chawan mushi?

-Fried soft shell crab with bean salad

Okay dish. Nothing particulary special but nothing "bad" about it either. Just mediocre. The evening before I had virtually the same thing in chinatown. But for one third of the price.

A woman the table next to mine ordered it. However, I don't remember it being bean salad - it was more of a mixed greens salad with some rather nice and substantive additions.... but I don't remember beans.

Main courses:

-Grilled Quail on Morel Mushroom and Fava Bean Risotto with a Roasted Garlic and Foie Gras Sauce

The quails (it was 2 of them) were quite good. But he risotto lacked taste and the morels and the beans were reduced to 2 or 3 each. The presentation was terrible: a large plate full of risotto with 2 quails plucked on top with no place left for the sauce, a few drops of which were splattered over the risotto here and there. (Again the dish looks way better and tastier on the tasting-menu-picture above)

Well, I did love the quail - and I didn't have the risotto, which is what you didn't care for.

So that was our night at Ame. We had great expectations. Sorry to say that we were disappointed. The food was not "bad". Just mediocre. And given the prices, that is definitely not enough.

That's too bad. I hope your trip was successful and rewarding otherwise!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

No I didn't, docsonz. I don't know why I didn't. Usually I do. I got a feeling that it would have been a better experience with a tasting menu. (But really: if they do it anyways when asked, why not put it on the menu?!)

But maybe it was just not our night (the principle chefs were not there, as far as we could see, by the way)...given all those raves there must be something to the place, I guess.

By the way: your pictures are truly gorgeous! how do you do that? not in 2 seconds with a simple flashlight camera, I guess...are you a professional photographer?

I was impressed how excellent everything was without the principals being there when we dined at Ame, so unless the chefs who were there that night weren't there either when you were there I doubt that was the problem.

Tasting menus are more popular at a certain style of restaurant that I believe Ame can be. This is, however, one of the drawbacks of a hotel restaurant as they must appeal to a wider clientele in which tasting menus are less of an option. When Molto and I were there we pretty much put ourselves in their hands. I find most topnotch restaurants are happy to do that for interested customers whether they have a tasting menu or night. Sometimes it works out even better than when they do already offer a tasting menu.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. No, I am not at all a professional, but I very much enjoy taking food photos and have started to get to the point that between the capabilities of my camera (Canon Eos 20D) and improving skills at post-processing lighting adjustment with practice, my photos are becoming more presentable. nevertheless I have a way to go before equalling the likes of Yellow Truffle or Philadining for example. I am now at the point that I prefer shooting without a flash even if the situation allows it.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I have now been to Ame about 6 times; each time (including my first, about 4 weeks after they opened) were consistently excellent, service (and hostess) included. Maybe it's me, but I like it when a beautiful woman says "it would be my pleaure" in response to my request (and I only asked her to take my coat)...

...OK, people do say I look like Brad Pitt, so I get that kind of behavior a lot...

:-)

One touch that is very nice that I like is that they record your name in their intelligent little computer - so when you call for a reservation and give your info, they recognize that you have been there before. This is definitely something that encourages me to be loyal. The Dining Room also has a system like this.

Kai-m, I am curious where you like to go in and around Frankfurt that you feel is great? Just for my own calibration on your tastes. Das gemaltes Haus has great Rippchen mit Kraut...

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

My recent dining experience at AME was fairly ordinary.....beautiful design and all, however the food doesn't live up to it....the one truly amazing dining experience I had in San Francisco was at WINTERLAND....

Melbourne Food and Wine

ute@foodfest.com.au

ulterior epicure: well, our "chawan mushi" consisted about 2/3rds or even 3/4rds of the " half liquid, eggie stuff" (sorry, I don't have the vocabular to name the substance better...). So after some three spoons it was mainly eating that (of which there was alot!) without much else left...

Stu-i-moto: we are really getting off topic here, but since you asked: In frankfurt, when I want local fare like Rippchen or Grüne Sauce with Potatoes, or Handkäs', I go to the "Feuerrädchen" (Firewheel) or the "Kanonensteppel". I haven't been to the "Gemaltes Haus" for years, since it is kind of a, well, tourist spot, along with "Wagner" - but not bad, really.

"Cafe Grössenwahn" is a favorite for solid bistro fare, but it is tough to get a table...

"Chairs" serves very good bistro dishes as well, and at very reasonable prices.

For Fine Dining I like "Tigerpalast" and "Villa Merton", both pretty expensive at 90€ (almost 110$ incl. tax but plus beverages and 5-10% tip) for a 5-course-menu (plus 2-3 amuse bouches and several petits four, both of which are standard in upscale places and never count as menu-courses).

But the best restaurant around frankfurt by far is the "Restaurant Amador" (2* in the michelin) in Langen, some 20 minutes by car from the city. It is very small with a very good, casual, yet elegant service crew - you feel like at home, when you go there. The food is world class. Spaniard Amador cooks in the style of Adria and Blumenthal. His 6 course tasting menu (129€) really is an 8 course menu, because the dessert alone consists of 3 courses. Plus you get like 7 amuses bouche and 7 great "petits fours" after the menu (which is too harmless a word for what he serves...Amador calls them "our little crazy things"...). So all in all you get like 21-22 tasting impressions within the 4 hour evening...tremendous...

Hope that gives you a fair impression of what I like. Did you live in frankfurt?

Stu-i-moto: we are really getting off topic here, but since you asked: In frankfurt, when I want local fare like Rippchen or Grüne Sauce with Potatoes, or Handkäs', I go to the "Feuerrädchen" (Firewheel) or the "Kanonensteppel". I haven't been to the "Gemaltes Haus" for years, since it is kind of a, well, tourist spot, along with "Wagner" - but not bad, really.

"Cafe Grössenwahn" is a favorite for solid bistro fare, but it is tough to get a table...

"Chairs" serves very good bistro dishes as well, and at very reasonable prices.

For Fine Dining I like "Tigerpalast" and "Villa Merton", both pretty expensive at 90€ (almost 110$ incl. tax but plus beverages and 5-10% tip) for a 5-course-menu (plus 2-3 amuse bouches and several petits four, both of which are standard in upscale places and never count as menu-courses).

But the best restaurant around frankfurt by far is the "Restaurant Amador" (2* in the michelin) in Langen, some 20 minutes by car from the city. It is very small with a very good, casual, yet elegant service crew - you feel like at home, when you go there. The food is world class. Spaniard Amador cooks in the style of Adria and Blumenthal. His 6 course tasting menu (129€) really is an 8 course menu, because the dessert alone consists of 3 courses. Plus you get like 7 amuses bouche and 7 great "petits fours" after the menu (which is too harmless a word for what he serves...Amador calls them "our little crazy things"...). So all in all you get like 21-22 tasting impressions within the 4 hour evening...tremendous...

Hope that gives you a fair impression of what I like. Did you live in frankfurt?

My mother lives in Langen and I have spent some time in Franfurt a while ago (in the 90's). I know Gemaltes Haus is a tourist trap (less so than Wagner) - I was just joking...

If I could find a restaurant in Germany where there was no smoking, I'd be in heaven...now that I live in California, my system is very sensitive to smoke. It ruins my meal if I smell it. But that's besides the point.

The Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton in San Francisco would be more in line with what you describe. I ate there in April; to be honest, although it hit on all the key points, the food lacked "soul" for me. In the end, it's a place I wouldn't go back to as much as Ame or, better yet, Fleur de Lys.

By the way, when I met Hubert Keller (chef @ FDL), who is from Alsace, I told him he should put Flammkuchen on the menu. We'll see -

Better luck on your next trip to SFO.

Cheers,

Stu

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

• 2 weeks later...
We had two sakes with the Trio of Sashimi and Tuna Five Ways

don't mean to nitpick, but the kubota hekijyu is the first image and the second one is the hakkaisan.

i recognize the kubota because right after the niigata earthquake i attempted to drink all the kubota manjyu left in SF. i didn't succeed, but i also don't remember most of that month either, so it all worked out.

oh, and the last character on the hakkaisan label (the one that looks like space invaders) is the one for "mountain." you'll see it all around chinatown SF on signs as part of the "gold mountain" (kumsan in cantonese?) name.

• 1 month later...
We had two sakes with the Trio of Sashimi and Tuna Five Ways

don't mean to nitpick, but the kubota hekijyu is the first image and the second one is the hakkaisan.

i recognize the kubota because right after the niigata earthquake i attempted to drink all the kubota manjyu left in SF. i didn't succeed, but i also don't remember most of that month either, so it all worked out.

oh, and the last character on the hakkaisan label (the one that looks like space invaders) is the one for "mountain." you'll see it all around chinatown SF on signs as part of the "gold mountain" (kumsan in cantonese?) name.

Thank you for the correction and anecdote. :smile:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz