• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spec's, Grapevine Market, Costco, Sam's Club

Kent Wang

Right now Spec's on Smith has some superlative virgin olive oils from Chile. These are not for the faint of heart though, very grassy with an intense burn at the back of the throat, for olive oil aficionados. And very nicely priced at $17.

Just a note for anyone in Austin: If you are at all affilitated with Texas Culinary Academy in any way (ie, work there, go to school there) you get a 20% discount at Grapevine. Which really make a HUGE difference if you buy wine by the case, get the case discount, with your additional 20%. It's wonderful and I love them for it.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

• 1 month later...

If you are looking for a wine cooler, Costco has been carrying Vinotemp 50 Stainless Steel (54 bottle) units recently. $400 (most on-line sellers list it between $675 and $800), and not scratch and dents. Many Costco locations have sold out of the limited allotment they received, but it's worth a phone call to check out the stores in your area.

• 3 weeks later...

According to today's Statesman Spec's is coming to Austin. Three locations are planned....one in the vacated Academy building on US 290 at Brodie Lane, one up north at the Shops at Arbor Walk (360 and MoPac near Braker), and one by Highland Mall.

• 3 months later...

In regards to does Costco sell good wine. They have several high quality Bordeaux's well below normal retail prices. I would have to classify them as the "Walmart" of wine. They are Texas' biggest Wine Retailer. They have the power to buy up thousands of cases at once which reduces their price and they can in turn sell their products for less than what a smaller shop pays for it. I am certain that Costco has probably closed the doors to several smaller Wine Merchants. The only concerns may be - are any of the wines they are purchasing distressed ? - due to storage etc.