• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Omaha steaks

devlin

Had a guy show up at my doorstep a couple of months ago saying he used to sell the steaks to the previous owners. Left a flier. Today I got some stuff in the mail from them, but before I tossed it googled a bit. Can't really find anything much in terms of what look like reliable reviews.

Anybody ever tried them? Are they any better than the best I might get at, say, Sam's Club?

I have not found them markedly superior to grocery store steaks. I bought some of their top sirloin and burgers on megasale but don't think I'll have any cause to go back for another helping.

Curious to hear others' thoughts, though.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

I had some Omaha filet mignons once - a gift, sort of. I thought they were actually pretty darn good -- I was pleasantly surprised. I haven't been to Sam's club, so I can't compare, but if I had to bet I'd bet on Omaha.

Of course, they're also probably dramatically more expensive, so there's that to consider. I prefer a good butcher shop or even Whole Foods (truly Whole Paycheck when you're talking beef) to either.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I don't think they are worth the money--I never buy prime tenderloin--very little fat anyway and tender enough. Angus strips and ribeyes (super market) are at the top of the choice catagory and have always pleased me at half the price.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

They may be an option for those without access to decent beef from the local supermarket. I've tried them, and they were OK, but they are more expensive than even Whole Foods. I'd think there are better/cheaper purveyors available by mail/internet order, though.

Or, if you have a big enough yard, you could just raise the cow yourself...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I tried some, save your money.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Your responses are sort of what I figured but it's good to hear them en masse.

We get pretty good beef here as it is, so I wondered what the big deal could be with the Omaha steaks.

And although we could grow our own, I refuse to allow my husband to grow food that bleeds. Especially when I know I'm the one who'll end up caring for it til it does.

It's a double standard I know, but I just can't do it.

Yeah, I tried them, once! My conclusion? There's a reason why they are so HEAVILY marketed. You see their flyers on almost every airplane magazine, and many other places. Generally, imho, places where people with money go.

They're small, and not that great.

doc

Mother-in-law buys them for us. Wish we could think of a polite way of telling her to save her money.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

The answer is, unequivocally, no, they are not good. They're only as good as previously frozen beef can be, and that's not very good at all. Adding insult to injury is the high price of the stuff.

I guess I'll echo most respondents. I have both a client and a vendor that each send me a box of 6 filets each holiday season. Give a box to my in-laws and, for them, it's quite a treat. They love filets but can rarely afford them since they are on a fixed income.

The remaining 6 go to the freezer. They are later thawed and pan fried when we want a quick and simple meal. Bottom line - they're OK but nothing special. I certainly would never order them. Also, as I recall, I once checked their pricing and it worked out to be about $50/lb + S/H for some pretty mediocre meat.

My dad gets a HUGE corporate gift of Omaha Steaks about twice a year, and my parents have amassed so many that they had to buy a deep freeze. They like them, I'm indifferent.

I do have to say, however, that their ham is the best I've ever had. Maybe I've never had truly great ham, but that OS ham is incredible to me.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater