• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for sushi in Chicago...

hi all.

having been out of the u.s. for a while (or in otherwise inadequate parts of the world for sushi eating), i have been lately finding an uncontainable yearning for sushi. part of the reason i've resisted the mediocre, and even slightly good, sushi joints in my area is because i'm holding out for a really good experience.

so, i'm off to chi-town soon. while i know most of the "good" sushi places, what i'm really looking for is a place where i can park myself in front of a true sushi master who will literally feed me hand-to-mouth with rare and exciting cuts of seafood the way that yasuda (nyc), masa (nyc), urasawa (l.a,) and uezu (of kurumazushi in nyc) do to enormous gastronomic pleasure... is this possible? please tell me it is!!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I've always wondered why there is no "Sushi in Chicago" thread given the number of new places that have opened in the last few years. Anyway, I haven't had any truly outstanding omakase experiences in Chicago the likes of which I've read about in the NY forum. While there are some places that have pristine quality fish, I don't think we have any places in Chicago that would compare to Masa.

That being said, I would be willing to put myself in the chef's hands at two places:

1. Tsuki - Located towards the SW end of Lincoln Park (just east of Sweets and Savories on Fullerton). This is my favorite Japanese restaurant in the city. I've done the omakase a couple of times, but all you really get is a bunch of dishes from the menu, plus the chef's selection of sushi/sashimi. It's nice when you don't feel like thinking about what you want to order, but there's nothing magical about it. 99% of the time I will order a la carte. On the weekends they have a pretty good selection of items flown in from Japan (monkfish liver, horse mackerel, toro from the cheek of the tuna, etc). IMO, they have some of the best quality fish in town. The otoro is some of the best I've had.

2. Mirai - Located in Bucktown. Quality is on par with Tsuki. I've never done omakase there, but I'd imagine it would be pretty good. It's a bit of a scene and service sometimes suffers.

A lot of people seem to like Meiji down on Randolph St. quite a bit. Granted I've only been once, but I wasn't really a fan. People will also recommend Katsu, but I've never been there myself so I'll leave that to others. Everything I've ever heard about it though has been excellent.

Finally, Matsumoto had been getting rave reviews, serving kaiseki style meals. They were closed during January, but I'm not sure if they've reopened. There's a thread about it around here somewhere.

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

I've always wondered why there is no "Sushi in Chicago" thread given the number of new places that have opened in the last few years.  Anyway, I haven't had any truly outstanding omakase experiences in Chicago the likes of which I've read about in the NY forum.  While there are some places that have pristine quality fish, I don't think we have any places in Chicago that would compare to Masa.

That being said, I would be willing to put myself in the chef's hands at two places:

1.  Tsuki - Located towards the SW end of Lincoln Park (just east of Sweets and Savories on Fullerton).  This is my favorite Japanese restaurant in the city.  I've done the omakase a couple of times, but all you really get is a bunch of dishes from the menu, plus the chef's selection of sushi/sashimi.  It's nice when you don't feel like thinking about what you want to order, but there's nothing magical about it.  99% of the time I will order a la carte.  On the weekends they have a pretty good selection of items flown in from Japan (monkfish liver, horse mackerel, toro from the cheek of the tuna, etc).  IMO, they have some of the best quality fish in town.  The otoro is some of the best I've had.

2.  Mirai - Located in Bucktown.  Quality is on par with Tsuki.  I've never done omakase there, but I'd imagine it would be pretty good.  It's a bit of a scene and service sometimes suffers.

Not that these aren't great suggestions and options - but I suppose I should clarify my inquiry (and narrow it down to), nearly exclusively sushi and sashimi omakases.

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Kaze Sushi and Katsu (2649 W Peterson Ave Chicago, 773 784-3383) are both great in this regard too.

=R=

just to clarify, ron, in which regard? sushi/sashimi purist omakases? any idea on price point (no info on the kaze website).

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Kaze Sushi and Katsu (2649 W Peterson Ave Chicago, 773 784-3383) are both great in this regard too.

=R=

just to clarify, ron, in which regard? sushi/sashimi purist omakases? any idea on price point (no info on the kaze website).

u.e.

Sorry u.e., meant to specify omakase.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

=R=

u.e.

Sorry u.e., meant to specify omakase.

=R=

not to belabor the point, but i guess you're still not specific enough for me. do you mean sushi/sashimi-only omakase or do you just mean omakase which often can involve meats and cooked items as well desserts and salads... (comme japanese-style degustation)?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

not to belabor the point, but i guess you're still not specific enough for me.  do you mean sushi/sashimi-only omakase or do you just mean omakase which often can involve meats and cooked items as well desserts and salads... (comme japanese-style degustation)?

My experiences have only been with sushi and sashimi but I think Katsu offers both types of progressions. The one place in town which was laying out true kaiseki (and developing quite a following), Matsumoto, seems to be no more.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

My experiences have only been with sushi and sashimi but I think Katsu offers both types of progressions.

great! that's exactly the omakase experience i'm looking for! (sushi/sashimi only "progressions").

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I agree with Ron, Katsu will not disappoint.

Dinner only. Open late until midnight.

Chef Katsu Imamura specializing premium raw fish and

very creative. Specials daily regarding whats flown in.

Small area by Chef Station, reservations recommended.

As for progression, I am sure they will accommodate.

Enjoy

I agree with Ron, Katsu will not disappoint.

Dinner only. Open late until midnight.

Chef Katsu Imamura specializing premium raw fish and

very creative.  Specials daily regarding whats flown in.

Small area by Chef Station, reservations recommended.

As for progression, I am sure they will accommodate.

Enjoy

thanks! any idea on prices for an all sushi/sashimi omakase at the bar with imamura?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

what i'm really looking for is a place where i can park myself in front of a true sushi master who will literally feed me hand-to-mouth with rare and exciting cuts of seafood

I generally prefer they hand it to me on a small plate, but to each his own. :wink:

I generally prefer they hand it to me on a small plate, but to each his own.  :wink:

okay, maybe i was exagerating just a tad with the whole "hand-to-mouth" scenario... yasuda and uezu do employ transport devices (fashion plates and banana leaves, etc...).

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

u.e.,

Perhaps you should check out Kizoku Restaurant, where the food is served in an even more creative way. :wink:

=R=

... oh yes, and then there are those who are just too comfortable with each other!! :laugh: no thanks, i'll play strip-sushi at home, thanks very much! :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

UE.

Please look into "Heat". http://www.heatsushi.com/heat/heat.htm

I had the full omakase experience and it was unbelievable. Over 3 gentle hours of pristine eating. The meal was a true joy. It ranks as one of the best meals I've had in this city. I'd be happy to email you the omakase menu that I had if you ask in a private message.

Cheers.

Trevor Williams

-Kendall College-

Edited by KendallCollege (log)

eGullet Ethics Signatory

I'd be happy to email you the omakase menu that I had if you ask in a private message.

Trevor Williams

-Kendall College-

Yes, please! :biggrin:

I have heard of "Heat" - but never really looked into it...

Ulterior Epicure.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

If you want the best fish go to Kaze . The chefs there are Kaze , Hari , and Maku and are all related to the person who runs and operates Heat , in fact they opened heat and introduced Chicago to the idea of eating live fish . Over this past weekend they were serving live snow crab and various other fish . Instead of asking all these questions why don't you call the restaurant directly and ask them what they are serving .They have been known to fly certain fish in for certain clients .

I've had mixed experiences at Kaze.  While I feel like they have very high quality fish, sometimes that quality gets lost when they try to "doctor" things up with truffle oil, banana peppers, etc.

jesteinf.

do you mean the quality (ie. delicateness/freshness) of the fish is obscured by condiments, or do you say that condiments are employed to hide poor quality? i think you mean the former, in which case is a lot less offensive than the latter.

ulterior epicure.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Definitely the former.  The quality of their fish is excellent, and the condiments sometimes get in the way.  I've had to go out of my way to tell them on a few occasions, "no really, I just want the fish, don't put anything on it".

The type of experiences I've had (say at Yasuda), were so purist that the chef doesn't add anything to the fish. in fact, he meticulously instructs diners whether to use/how much soy sauce or wasabi. Not to be a snob, but it's this kind of experience that I'm seeking - sushi chefs that are strictly loyal to highlighting the fish's natural beauty. If that kind of experience is not to be had in Chicago (yet, hopefully), then that's fine, I just wanted to do my due diligence. At least I'll be prepared for a different type of sushi experience... just didn't want to get my hopes up one way and let down another...

Thanks everyone for your insights and suggestions. I would appreciate more - and hopefully someone who can let me in on a "purist" sushi/sashimi omakase experience.

U.E.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

To address someone's comment up-thread:

Dialing Back

After a quiet closing in December, Matsumoto (3800 W. Lawrence Ave.; 773-267-1555), the innovative Japanese dining room that offered a seven-course kaiseki (dégustation) menu, will reopen on February 10 th as Chiyo. “It was a mistake,” said the owner, Isao Tozuka , of the restaurant’s original culinary ambitions. “It was too complicated and there was no regular menu.” Chiyo (the name of Tozuka’s wife, who runs the front of the house) will offer more familiar Japanese fare such as sushi, tempura, teriyaki, shabu shabu, and yosenabe, a dish he likened to bouillabaisse. The restaurant will still offer a kaiseki menu (price to be determined), but will require three days’ notice. Tozuka takes the place of Seijiro Matsumoto, who was formerly at the helm in the kitchen.

[From Dish, a newletter sent by the Dining Editors of Chicago Magazine.]

Ulterior Epicure.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account