• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Piropos in Parkville (Kansas City)

moosnsqrl

Yes, please talk about all of these places. I've just booked my trip to KC for mid-October. I'll be looking for new places to try*!!  :smile:

*Including Lawrence and Topeka--my sister lives in Topeka and I'm sure we'll be back and forth.

I should probably start a whole topic on this, but I'm not sure it deserves one! :biggrin: Maison Rustique, I was born and raised in Topeka, and as I'm sure you know, it is chain city! However, one thing that Topeka does well that Kansas City does not is home-owned fast food. If you are looking for a good cheeseburger and the best onion rings I've ever had, not to mention really great apple pie, head to BoBo's Drive-In... it's been around a long time, so you've probably heard about it, or maybe even have been there- sorry if I'm repeating what you already know! One fairly new place that I went to last Saturday is Freda and Maude's, 3129 SW Huntoon St., Topeka, KS 66604. It's a new coffee shop in the Westboro area, and my lunch was very good! We had a creamy tomato soup and a chicken salad with dried cranberries and granny smiths in pita... this was the only lunch offering that day, I'm not sure if they offer more during the week or not. Anyway, I LOVED the chicken salad, really good! They also have a huge selection of desserts. It's not a fancy place, just a good, casual lunch place. Others rave about New City Cafe but the last time I was there for lunch I was not impressed, though it has been good in the past. I find the lunches on display in the glass case to be very unappealing to look at! Chez Yasu is a good French place and still seems fairly new to me although it has been around for a little while. It's at 2701 SW 17th, Topeka, KS 66604. They're pretty much the only non-chain place in town that's doing more upscale well. And last but certainly not least, G's for frozen custard... try the Brown Bread custard or the Turtle Sundae... you won't be disappointed! Hope that helps some! Sorry if I've repeated a bunch of stuff you already know! There's plenty of good eats in Lawrence, so no problems there!

Edited by Katie Nell (log)

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Jackets required at Piropos?  Both times I've been, they said nothing to the (un-jacketed) gents in my party.  Although, they weren't exactly sportin' leather.  :wink: 

In regards to "dress code" at Piropo's, when I've made reservations in the past they've made it a point to say no jeans, but then when we went this last time, they sat a couple in jeans, so I can't believe that they would turn someone away for not wearing a jacket!

I never questioned it, if anyone understands restaurants have rules it would be me, so I made a note to go back and never made it. The owners and the owners of cafe Italia are related if I remember right or sam is, something like that, and they used to come into the octopus all the time. Heck her husband did a feature in his company's restaurant mag when I first opened. I enjoy reading it also. Very nice people. My partner did go there for dinner a few months back if I remember right it was about 120 bucks for a salad, two steaks and two glasses of vino that included tip(he's a bad tipper!..lol) if I remember right I cooked something else for him to eat that night. He's almost 7 feet tall and a bottomless pit!

Yes, please talk about all of these places. I've just booked my trip to KC for mid-October. I'll be looking for new places to try*!!  :smile:

*Including Lawrence and Topeka--my sister lives in Topeka and I'm sure we'll be back and forth.

I should probably start a whole topic on this, but I'm not sure it deserves one! :biggrin: Maison Rustique, I was born and raised in Topeka, and as I'm sure you know, it is chain city! However, one thing that Topeka does well that Kansas City does not is home-owned fast food. If you are looking for a good cheeseburger and the best onion rings I've ever had, not to mention really great apple pie, head to BoBo's Drive-In... it's been around a long time, so you've probably heard about it, or maybe even have been there- sorry if I'm repeating what you already know! One fairly new place that I went to last Saturday is Freda and Maude's, 3129 SW Huntoon St., Topeka, KS 66604. It's a new coffee shop in the Westboro area, and my lunch was very good! We had a creamy tomato soup and a chicken salad with dried cranberries and granny smiths in pita... this was the only lunch offering that day, I'm not sure if they offer more during the week or not. Anyway, I LOVED the chicken salad, really good! They also have a huge selection of desserts. It's not a fancy place, just a good, casual lunch place. Others rave about New City Cafe but the last time I was there for lunch I was not impressed, though it has been good in the past. I find the lunches on display in the glass case to be very unappealing to look at! Chez Yasu is a good French place and still seems fairly new to me although it has been around for a little while. It's at 2701 SW 17th, Topeka, KS 66604. They're pretty much the only non-chain place in town that's doing more upscale well. And last but certainly not least, G's for frozen custard... try the Brown Bread custard or the Turtle Sundae... you won't be disappointed! Hope that helps some! Sorry if I've repeated a bunch of stuff you already know! There's plenty of good eats in Lawrence, so no problems there!

Haven't been to Topeka in a long time my mother is from there I still have cousins there, last time I went it was a mad dash for my birth certificate. I love the way the road feels driving into downtown!

Thanks, Katie Nell! Yes, I do know BoBo's, but not the others--haven't been to Topeka in about 2 years. I love Topeka!! My sister and her husband think I'm nuts, but I just think it's a cute little city!  :smile:

Oh, believe me, I am the first one to come to Topeka's defense if someone is putting it down, but there's no denying that it does have a lot of chains! I'm in the "I can talk about my momma, but no one else better be talking about my momma" category!! :wink:

Actually, that whole area of Westboro where Freda and Maude's is is really coming together now... it's a very cute part of town!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Not to pull the plug on the whole Topeka love-fest here, but a quick question about Piropos: does anyone know if their menu/style will change? I'll be curious to hear how the atmosphere, service, food and menu improves/suffers. I'll also be curious if they can manage to raise their prices any more. :hmmm:

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Not to pull the plug on the whole Topeka love-fest here, but a quick question about Piropos: does anyone know if their menu/style will change?  I'll be curious to hear how the atmosphere, service, food and menu improves/suffers.  I'll also be curious if they can manage to raise their prices any more.  :hmmm:

u.e.

Why you gotta be a killjoy? This post made me go call my cousin in Topeka (it's true Egullet does bring out the love in people!) He couldn't talk long playing golf. I would imagine Pirops is taking the same path. Carrol Shelby once said "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" Now I want to go buy a new Shellby 500 makes me miss my 1967 Gt/KR 500 I had in high school.

Edited by monkfish_103 (log)

I believe it's open - has anyone anything to say, yet? I need to swing by and take a look. That area still seemed dead the last time I drove by on the highway.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com