• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Piropos in Parkville (Kansas City)

moosnsqrl

A gang of 11 friends descended upon Piropos one Friday night last month. I generally think it’s a mistake to attempt anything approching “fine dining” with more than 4 people but, in the interest of being sociable, I went along. I had been wanting to try this restaurant for years and I just never think to go there so I figured this was the time.

The restaurant’s aspect is lovely, sitting high atop the bucolic little downtown of Parkville. My first comment was that it was inconsiderate of our friend to be born in January when it’s much too cold to dine al fresco. They have a lovely multi-level patio which takes advantage of the location and have enhanced it with some nice fire pits and statuary. We will definitely find an excuse to have a cocktail there in the spring, summer or fall.

The entryway and bar area are quite lovely as well, and the furnishings give the feeling of being in someone’s well-appointed living room, rather than a commercial interest. We enjoyed a relaxed drink, presented the birthday boy with his gift and card and visited while awaiting our reservation time.

Logistically, things pretty much went downhill after that. In less than a minute all of my worst fears about dining en masse were validated. We were shown to a huge booth with four chairs along the outside and the other seven settings were around the banquette. As there was no break in the table, this meant a lot of scooting and sliding for several of us, and no hope of escape without uprooting 3 or 4 others. To be fair, that's what you get for going with a large (and odd-numbered) group I suppose. I just can't think why any space would be designed like that; apparently intended for large groups yet ill-conceived.

The table was positively laden with glassware and place settings before we sat down, with little white space visible. Once the bread and accompaniments began to arrive the situation was hopeless. We were packed-in and the table was so crowded, passing anything or pouring wine was more than a little dicey. I kept thinking I would really like to take a sip of water, if only I could reach my glass and navigate it to my lips without spilling or breaking anything.

We all managed to order after some time and the sommelier came, bearing what was apparently the only copy of the wine list. Since there were a lot of palates to satisfy and a variety of foods to match, we began asking for his advice. Among the many curious tips he offered was one of the most bizarre things I’ve heard in a long time. We tried to order a Paul Hobbs malbec and, while he stopped short of refusing to serve it, he did everything but snort derisively at the selection (which, I note, is on HIS wine list). He suggested a couple of others and when he stopped to take a breath I asked “Why not the Paul Hobbs?” The reply was ‘well, I guess there’s nothing really wrong with it, but it’s made by an American so it’s not really Argentinian’. Hmmm.

This brings us to the next oddity. All of our salads and/or apps arrived except for the two soups du jour – lobster bisque. When we asked if they had perhaps overlooked it (we were a large group and trying to be a polite, understanding large group) we were told that they had run out of the soup and were in the process of making more. It’s 7:30 on a Friday night and you’ve run out of the featured soup? And the kitchen is in the process of tossing together lobster bisque? Uh, is it too late to change my order? Salads were unremarkable and in no case worthy of their $8 price tag. The empanadas were good. The ‘a la minute’ bisque wasn’t bad, considering, but I wouldn’t order it (or wait for it) again. As they had already fired our entrees before discovering the soup shortage, they began arriving immediately on the heels of the soup, exacerbating the aforementioned lack of space on the table.

Steaks were the predominant fare in our party. There were a variety of cuts ordered; they use “certified Black Angus” beef and prices range from $32-$35. I couldn’t avoid comparing them to the $38 wagyu flatiron at bluestem. This is a pretty carnivorous group, so it was surprising that everyone still had some steak on their plate at the end of the meal yet no one asked to have it wrapped to take home. The two who ordered roast pork were very pleased and raved about it. There were two pastas ($22) that were unremarkable, using dried pasta with an odd combination of what can only be described as toppings (they were not in any way incorporated) and the sauce appeared to be nothing more than butter. Lots and lots of butter, with little garlic or herb to enhance it. This I unavoidably compared with Lidia's, where you can enjoy three fresh, house-made pastas daily for about half the price.

I really do want to return when the weather is nice and enjoy the patio. And, in all fairness, I knew going in that the size of our group was not conducive to an optimal dining experience. My overall impression is simply that this is not a good dining value. We ended up splitting the check 10 ways (picking up the guest of honor’s check) so it was a $200/couple evening, for only two courses and wine, and there are many, many places in town where I would rather dine – alone or with an army - at that price point.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm truly surprised that you had such a bad experience. We've been there twice, and while I ordered the wrong thing the second time, we've enjoyed it immensely. I've only ever ordered and sampled (others) pork or seafood, so I can't speak on behalf of the steaks. The scallops were some of the most tender and best that we've ever had (in the Midwest.) The pork tenderloin that I got the first time around was amazing. The second time I ordered some kind of a pork tenderloin that had been pan fried, which I would have never ordered had I realized what I was ordering (can't remember why there was confusion.) At any rate, we've always been impressed with the food, with the exception of the desserts... they are pretty boring.

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Thanks for taking one for the team! Your report (even after factoring in the large group) aside, I haven't heard anything about Piropo's that would prompt me to go and spend that kind of money. Where CAN'T you eat in KC for $200 per couple? Since it's down the street from me now, I'll absolutely go and have drinks/apps on the patio when the weather warms up. To take a chance on dinner there, I'm going to have to hear a few back to back "halfway through my steak I realized my arthritis had been healed/face of Jesus in my empanada" reports first.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Where CAN'T you eat in KC for $200 per couple?

My whole family ate there for $250 (5 of us,) so I can't believe that you have to spend $200 to have a good meal there!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I join the (growing) crowd of those who have been disappointed with Piropos. I have been twice, and both times left terribly upset. Indifferent service, mediocre quality, and obscenely poor value... would be willing to elaborate to those who solicit.

U.E.

[edited to add]: oh, yeah, and what's with their ridiculous seating policy? it seems like it takes extra jockeying to get near the windows - which is, in my opinion, the only appeal to the restaurant (left for this disappointed diner) - and even then, the view of park university and the train tracks ain't all that to write home about - especially after the sun-sets, when the "scenery" is reduced to a view to a lit clocktower - only to remind you of how much time you've wasted waiting on your food or waving helpessly for your server... if you're not lucky enough to get one of these "first tier real estate," you feel as if you've been relegated to the staff mess hall - crammed between other elbows and constantly dodging the frenetic fray of the absent-minded servers. :hmmm:

yikes, that turned out into a spew... sorry. :blush:

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

In the interest of fairness I want to reiterate: Ten of us paid for food and wine for 11 people. So there's that. We tipped generously, being a large party, nearly all of whom worked in the trenches at some point in our lives. And then there was the wine. I'm guessing Katie's family exercises more restraint than our group. We are all sailors. :wink:

So, yes, you could certainly escape there for under $200/couple (if your name doesn't begin with Z or m). I just felt that the "value proposition" was lacking. So let's take the wine, tip, and largesse out of the equation. In our market, if a steak is upwards of $40, it should be special. If pasta is over $20, it should be special. You will never hear me say that a restaurant is 'too expensive" in a general sense. I don't want to eat bargain-basement food, believe me. But I do appreciate good value and I didn't feel they presented one.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

In our market, if a steak is upwards of $40, it should be special.  If pasta is over $20, it should be special.  You will never hear me say that a restaurant is 'too expensive" in a general sense.  I don't want to eat bargain-basement food, believe me.  But I do appreciate good value and I didn't feel they presented one.

couldn't have said it better myself... and i would agree on the value assessment as i noted in my previous post.

i also wanted to add that i have visited the restaurant once before and after an eating trip to argentina. i doubted the first time, and was convinced the second time, that the food was "authentic." to be sure, the names on the menu are "authentic" - but of what i've tried and seen, nothing was prepared that argentinians use to cook or present meals. In some cases, even the type of food presented is way off...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

You guys are a bunch of curmudgeons!!! :wink:

Not everyone can be Colby, apparently!

You guys are a bunch of curmudgeons!!!  :wink:

i prefer "crusty..." :biggrin:

not that i don't love bluestem, but i don't think that "colby" should be thrown around exclusively as k.c.'s only fine-dining/good quality dining option. to be fair, in my opinion, others like smith & gold (40 sardines), tio (american), and jeff scott (zin), among others, also deserve recognition... it's not that piropos isn't "colby" - but it's just that, imho, it's poor quality - period regardless of how other chefs/restaurants are performing.

[edited to add]: underlined texts

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

i prefer "crusty..." :biggrin:

not that i don't love bluestem, but i don't think that "colby" should be thrown around exclusively as k.c.'s only fine-dining/good quality dining option.

I haven't actually been to bluestem... I was mostly teasing, b/c it seems as if everyone here always compares to them.

Edited by Katie Nell (log)

OK, first of all, let's not resort to name-calling. It isn't dignified. :raz:

Hey, I used the pasta of Dan Swinney/Cody Hogan (Lidia's) for my comparison.

But point well-taken, UE, there are many talented chefs working in the area and we would do well to remember it. We're fortunate to have an unprecedented number of options these days.

M.F.K. Fisher

OK, first of all, let's not resort to name-calling. It isn't dignified. :raz:

well, i was willing to concede with "crusty," but i guess my fellow "curmudgeon" is "above the crust..." :laugh:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 2 weeks later...

This just in: Not confirmed (I want to stress this)... but a little birdie told me that there's news (and this may be old to some of you) that Piropos is closing down their Parkville location to the public and opening up a restaurant nearer to downtown. Word has it that the Parkville location will become a catered/private dining facility only.

Before I start an unsubstantiated rumor - can anyone jump in with any more information?

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

This just in:  Not confirmed (I want to stress this)... but a little birdie told me that there's news (and this may be old to some of you) that Piropos is closing down their Parkville location to the public and opening up a restaurant nearer to downtown.  Word has it that the Parkville location will become a catered/private dining facility only. 

Before I start an unsubstantiated rumor - can anyone jump in with any more information?

U.E.

I'v heard this too. I know people close to the owners i will have to ask

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

This just in:  Not confirmed (I want to stress this)... but a little birdie told me that there's news (and this may be old to some of you) that Piropos is closing down their Parkville location to the public and opening up a restaurant nearer to downtown.  Word has it that the Parkville location will become a catered/private dining facility only. 

U.E.

Hhmmm.... I knew this about Pachamama's, but not Piropo's.

Not pertinent to this "forum," per se, but I'll just quickly ask and get this over with - where's Pachamama's headed?

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Not pertinent to this "forum," per se, but I'll just quickly ask and get this over with - where's Pachamama's headed?

U.E.

Just checked the website, and they should be at their new location at 800 New Hampshire (as of Feb. 11th.) They are using the old facilities for catering. I've driven by the new location and it just doesn't look as "romantic." http://www.pachamamas.com/

U.E.

Just checked the website, and they should be at their new location at 800 New Hampshire (as of Feb. 11th.) They are using the old facilities for catering. I've driven by the new location and it just doesn't look as "romantic." http://www.pachamamas.com/

ahhh... thanks katie... still in lawrence and still just as far for me....

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

U.E.

I thought I had reported this but apparently not. I nearly ran a stop sign in Lawrence last Saturday because I glanced over and noticed the new place was completed, tables set, flowers atop. It was morning so they weren't open but Zeemanb confirmed later that they are open for business in the new location (8th & New Hampshire, SE corner). They plan to use their former location for catering, I believe.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 7 months later...

The new Piropos opens Sat night 09.22.06........I didn't make it to the last one, they refused me :unsure: it said jackets required they wouldn't count my leather bikers jacket. Pretty much the only places I'm interested in at the new local will be Dolittle's place, and Kathy's place the Pastry Goddess. She one of the few pastry chef's in town that are in the know. I'll gain 30 lbs this winter eating her danish since she is just right around the corner from me :wub:

Jackets required at Piropos? Both times I've been, they said nothing to the (un-jacketed) gents in my party. Although, they weren't exactly sportin' leather. :wink:

Doolittle's place would be where? And what's it going to be about (but I suppose we should start a separate thread on that - and for the weight-gaining danishes by the Pastry Goddess - which can be enjoyed where?)?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I posted this long, long ago. Last time I ran into Tim (July-ish) he was predicting an October opening. It looks like he and Terry Barkley (Nara) may be coming online at roughly the same time, having both suffered lengthy delays. But good things come to those who wait, so our patience (and theirs) should be rewarded soon.

M.F.K. Fisher

Jackets required at Piropos?  Both times I've been, they said nothing to the (un-jacketed) gents in my party.  Although, they weren't exactly sportin' leather.  :wink: 

Doolittle's place would be where?  And what's it going to be about (but I suppose we should start a separate thread on that - and for the weight-gaining danishes by the Pastry Goddess - which can be enjoyed where?)?

u.e.

All three will in the same area, I usually enjoy the danish in my auto on the way back home, they are quite messy(they flake alot! made with pure butter just like her puff.) Her white cake is awesome it has white chocolate in it, so it's supper moist and dense. The year I did catering I made 85 wedding cakes I was always out in her shop hanging around. When we worked together at the American she would throw me all her scraps, it made working for free fun! The new place will be her second location she out grew her very first one a few years back in Blue Springs and opened the new one a couple years back on the outskirts of Independence. I don't know if she still does, but she used to make all the pastries for Dean & Dulca out in the sticks :biggrin:

Edited by monkfish_103 (log)

Jackets required at Piropos?  Both times I've been, they said nothing to the (un-jacketed) gents in my party.  Although, they weren't exactly sportin' leather.  :wink: 

In regards to "dress code" at Piropo's, when I've made reservations in the past they've made it a point to say no jeans, but then when we went this last time, they sat a couple in jeans, so I can't believe that they would turn someone away for not wearing a jacket!